mmcfly8888

Aug 4, 2003
I am new to this sport and have little riding experience. I am 15 and about 5'2", 105 lbs. I probably won't be getting a bike for a while, but I am wondering: what bike is right for me? I don't want to get bored with it but I also don't want it to be too hard or expensive to maintain. I want it to last for a long time and for it to have room for me to grow. I want something good for trails and some light MX. I am thinking of a 4stroke like an xr100 or a ttr125. But if there is a good begginer 2stroke that works on trails and MX let me know. HELP!! WHAT BIKE SHOULD I GET??
Thanks for your help
-mmcfly8888

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
I know you would outgrow an xr100 pretty quick, I just got my 12 yr old daughter an 03 xr100 and she's doing great with it, but I think a 15 yr old would find it too small. I would check out the CRF 150 or 230 or a bigger XR. Maybe check out the kawasaki KLX line too. For 2 strokes, the kdx200 is awesome.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
The KDX 200 would be a great bike for MX and Trails, but I just can't reccomend that to someone 5'2.. I think you would have alot of trouble. Its 6.5 inches bigger than the XR100.

I think the XR100 would be your best bet. Hondas bikes are great to learn on.

My advice: Learn on the Honda XR 100 for a while, and when you really start to master it, you can always sell it. Honda XRs are the best beginner bikes, and hold an excellent resale value, so when you go to sell it, assuming you keep it in good condition, you can get top dollar for it, since they are in such high demand for those people looking for a slightly used XR for beginners.

Then, save money on the side, and try to get something on the lines of an MXer, 85cc bike or even the KDX.

mmcfly8888

Aug 4, 2003
Maybe if I got something a little bigger than the xr100 like a klx125 or tt-r125 because I don't want to outgrow it fast. Would that be a good bike to learn on?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
TTR 125 is a very good choice.

mmcfly8888

Aug 4, 2003
I think it is down to crf150, xr100, or tt-r125. Since they are all different sizes, which one do you guys think would fit me the best?

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I'd say to go for the CRF 150 or the TTR 125. My sister has an XR 100 and from what I've learned from riding it, you'll probably want more bike after a little while. I think the CRF would be the best choice, but the TTR is also an excellent bike. Either one would be a good choice.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
I think (just my opinion) that the CRF 150 will be too heavy for your size on an mx track. I just got my son an xr100 before X-mas, and to tell you the truth, he was ready for a two stroke after his first ride. The cr85 is about the same hight as the XR100, will be lighter, and the suspention will be alot better for the track. But...the CR will require more maintenance, where as the fourstrokes will be practically bullet proof.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
The advice I like to give newbies - based on my own experience - is to buy used. It's not uncommon to want more power very quickly and it's easy to put a lot of money into a bike.

That's why I suggest starting with a used bike that will be a good starter bike - like the ones mentioned - and then get the 'perfect' bike once you get the hang of it.

By getting a used bike, you won't take a big hit when you sell it like you would a new bike.

I assure you that whatever bike you get you will love riding. Your only regret will be that you didn't get the bike sooner. Good luck.

mmcfly8888

Aug 4, 2003
What is better for someone my height and weight(5'1", 105 lbs): the xr100 or the crf150? because I am leaning toward buying a used Honda and then getting a two stroke when I master the basics.
Thanks alot,
NZ

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Either of those bikes would be great for your size. It will probably be hard to find a used CRF150 since they're new, while xr100's should be easy to find at a great deal. Go by your local Honda dealer and sit on both bikes and see how you fit. I'm guessing the CRF150 is a bit taller - but I'm not sure of that. The CRF150 is heavier but also has more power which would keep you happier longer.

If you like both bikes, go for whichever you can find a great deal on. Then they'll be no guilt when you trade up since you'll be able to recoup most or all of your investment.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Recommend you get an XR100 used ,but newer, in good shape.I've seen 2001 models for 1800 bucks.Go for something newer than 92.You will learn a lot about riding and be able to touch on most terrain.It's beginning with something comfortable and reliable that will make a difference.Whaen your ready to go bigger cause your a better rider or outgrow the 100,you never really do,then the resale is solid if you've maintained it.Get a service manual for your year bike and learn how to maintain it

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
TTR 125 is a very good choice.

Dittos on the TTR125. Your height (5'2") makes the seat height of the bike a factor worth some heavy thought.
A CRF 230 might be a bit on the tall side, but that is as far as I'd take it until you are a more competent rider. The TTR comes in 2 flavors, regular and L (larger wheels for the L model plus disk brake).

-jeffd

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by jeffd
The TTR comes in 2 flavors, regular and L (larger wheels for the L model plus disk brake).

-jeffd

There is also a 3rd flavor... the TTR125LE. The E standing for Electric Start.

At 5'2" the TTR125LE would be a great choice as would the TTR125L (they are not hard to start with the kickstarter).

Ivan

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I would start on an XR100. I'm keeping in mind that you are 5'2, and that should fit you fine.

I think you should get a slightly used XR100. You should be able to get a 2001 XR-100 in excellent condition for 1500$ no problem.

The reason I would say XR, is because the size is almost perfect for you, its one of the best beginner bikes out there, and they hold their resale values very high since they are such great beginner bikes in high demand. You see tons more XRs for sale than you do CRF's, so keep that in mind when you go to sell it, that XRs are in more demand.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I bought a TTR125LE for my wife, and I ride it more than she does! It's great for a beginner bike, but if you're one of those guys that's going to get bored quickly, learns rapidly (or already rides BMX), likes power/has little fear--so long as the terrain is open for a while, you might consider starting on one of the 2 strokes that has a reasonable 'beginner' motor. That would be the RM85, KX85 or even the KX100.

Now don't everyone jump down my throat here...I just know I'd be bored stiff quickly with a small, underpowered 4 stroke--beginner or not.

mmcfly8888

Aug 4, 2003
Well what I am thinking of doing is buying one the ttr125, xr100, crf125, or similar bike (whichever I can find used) and when I get good buy a real MX bike, because of a few reasons:
1- I want to master the basics first
2- I probably will take a lot of spills during my first rides :laugh: and a four stroke can take it better than a two (plus a four stroke is easier to maintain)
3- If I buy used I can resell it for about the same as I got it

It is now a matter of whatever I can find at a good deal of the above bikes. I am sure I will eventually get a good racing bike when I get good though (and not to brag, but during my little riding experience I did catch on pretty quick:)) I just want to learn on a solid, user friendly type bike, and then do some Motocross (I am more interested in MX than Trail Riding)
-Nick

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by nephron

Now don't everyone jump down my throat here...I just know I'd be bored stiff quickly with a small, underpowered 4 stroke--beginner or not.

I'm not going to jump down your throat but I spent Saturday riding the wifes CRF150 and had a BLAST. I even jumped a few doubles... it hurt my foot if I didn't land right so I decided not to push the limit.

It was so much fun in the trails. Just kept it pinned and rode the heck out of it. I want to build a nice mini-bike MX track one day and have my own backyard mini-bike MX :)

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by mmcfly8888
1- I want to master the basics first

Ike De Jager who is a local MX instructor (www.20-20racing.com) advocates working on the basics on a small bore 4-stroke.

When he teaches class he teaches it on an XR80 and advocates working on basic drills with one of those type bikes. He says he even works on stuff on the 80 still even though he races a KTM 525.

He has won the 50+ class at LL one year (winning all his moto's) so he does have some racing experience ;)

Ivan

Top Bottom