Fox - Tracer Helmet $126

HJC - CLX-4 Helmet $120

Moose M1 $120

O'Neal - 544 Helmet $107

Thor - SVS 4 Helmet $127

By Best i mean in comfort, saftey, airflow, washable and looks

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
I have the HJC and i absolutely love it. Very comfortable and i've taken lots of headers and i'm still alive. I'm talking hard headers too.

dpdiehl

Apr 4, 2002
Fly Lite II "Ferry 1" replica at motosport outlet. Normally 239..on sale for $119 and free shipping. Snell 2000 and 2.75lbs in a large. Just got mine and I really like it. I have a HJC AC-X1 and a Bell Moto 7 and like them as well...but the deal on the Fly is hard to pass up.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
The clx 4 got some major upgrades over the clx 3. Improved venting, and a strenthened chin bar are among the improvements. They also moved the chin guard out a little bit from the older models.
For the money it's hard to beat it.

RedVVing19

Feb 22, 2003
i bought the HJC - CLX-4 Helmet for 125
scott 89x for 26
thor phase 3 jersey for 9
thor phase 3 pants for 39

for a total for 211

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
I recently bought a Fly lite helmet. It's a great deal.motosportoutlet still is selling 2001 models for $79.95! These also weigh 2.75 lbs.

shifting

~SPONSOR~
Mar 5, 2003
I always wore Hjc but swithched to Kbc. Only have one ride with it but I really like it. Not too hot, very comfy. I don,t know what retail is but I got a killer deal on mine from Motorcycle Stuff. Talk to Scott Boyer. Also Snell and D.O.T. rated. :thumb:

RedVVing19

Feb 22, 2003
Originally posted by Whyzee
FYI, mawonline.com has the HJC CLX-4 solid color for 94.95 and the fuel for 108.95

agh, and i just ordered it for 125 two days ago, oh well, i think i got a good deal overall

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
most helmets under $175 are made of plastic i highly recomend that you spend a little more and get a fiberglass or fiberglass/carbon/kevlar mix the offer much more protection.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
because it's proven that on impact when wearing a plactic helmet it will bend in and then bend back out in other words bounce causing injury to your neck (and at high speed maybe you brain)and also just doesn't hold up as well in a crash (i should know i've broken them)a fiberglass shell will on impact bend in (crush)and stay there not bouncing back the other way causing more injury.i am sure the plastic is fine at low impact speeds but if you really hit hard (witch someday you will)you will allways be better off with a fiberglass helmit.a plastic helmet might look better sometimes after a crash but thats because the fiberglass one did its job and took the impact for you, buy absorbing the impact.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
john stu

Do you have some studies/info we can reference? Would be an intersting read.

wroof

Sep 6, 2000
How about the fox flite helmet? what do you guys reckon?
its retailing for 209usd on mxsouth.com
Does the dot and snell approved thingy have any relation as to weather the helmet is made of fiberglass?
I have a arai Vcross which is about 2years old. The rubber lining parts are startin to fall out but i hope it holds out till i get myself another 1.

sweden_345

Jul 17, 2002
You guys have lazer helmets over there?
I think those are composite/fiberglass and it shattered and broke in the middle when a guy i know crashed.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i don't have any writen documents about helmet construction but i have read this in several places before i just didn't copy or write it down where it was, i didn't think anybody would ever ask for it.and far as lazer helmets are conserned i am pretty sure they have polycarbonate shells but like i said before you can not tell it a helmet is protecting you just buy the amount of damage to the helmet after a crash its about the amout of damage to you head after a crash that counts.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
John, If you do find a link or can point us to the source of your info, I for one would love to read it.
Thanks,
Keith

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
John,

I agree with John on this issue. Buy a 10 dollar helmet if you have a 10 dollar head. Helmets are designed to fracture and break int the event of a crash and there is a reason a helmet is 100 dollars compared to 300 dollars. Plastic doesn't break, it gives which is all fine and dandy at low speeds, but at high speed I not willing to take my chances. I want to know I have a quality lid on my head, in the event something does happen. I like feeling safe. I'm not saying any of those helmets are bad by any means. I truly believe helmet constuction for lower grade helmets have improved tremendously over the last few years, but when it comes to protecting my noggin I go with the best I could afford. You don't have to go out and buy a shoei or arai and spend 500 dollars on a lid. I think there are alot of quality helemts in the 200 dollar range.

Erik

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Roost165
...and i've taken lots of headers and i'm still alive. I'm talking hard headers too.
Am I the only one that finds this a bit concerning? You've taken lots of hard headers and you continue to wear the same helmet? Sorry but the way I read this is that you are either extending the facts or have already caused significant damage to your grey matter. Just because the shell doesn't have a hole in it or is not split in two should you consider it safe to continue to wear the same helmet after ONE hard header.

Top Bottom