cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
I have noticed that most trail or enduro type bikes have a "X" in their name, and most Motocross (moto-x) bikes don't. Yamaha has the old MX(trail) , XT(dualsport), Hondas XR(trail) and the old NX, XL (both dualsport), Suzuki's old RMX (enduro),
Kawasaki KDX, KLX (enduro, trail). The Kawasaki KX and a KTM (can't remember wich one) are the only "X" Moto bikes, I am sure I missed a few but anyways. Is this a subliminal (SP) message for the consumer?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Close but not exactly right

I have this all figured out.

The X is included for several reasons such as
X in extra money it takes to buy parts, the extra insurance for medical cost, the extra time off from work needed for riding and because of the ride, the extra time needed to make the bike ready to ride.

On the other hand, X does not only stand for extra, it also represents the X in exaggerate. You can't truly be a dirt bike rider unless you exaggerate.

Another reason it's there is to include exhausted, this is for us older dirt bike riders but not limited only to the physical aspects, this also applies to finance.

Ofcoarse don't forget the X in examine wich is what the doctor has to do

There is bound to be more but I'm getting depressed so I'll just leave it at that

:think

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
I can't find the source--

but I recall in an copy of Old BIke Journal they had an article about the letter designations.
C= Competition, R= Race, E=electric, X= Cross country
etc,,,,,,,,,:)

Hope that helps.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
So my EXC must be:
(E)lectric-[maybe they're referring to the powerband]
(X) country
(C)ompetion
Well, 2 out of 3; I guess those Austrians just goofed / something lost in the translation!:confused:

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
Honda---

is the alpha code I was thinking of more than the other brands.

Example the Honda CRE 250 is a CR with lighting coils for a headlight.

From Clymer;
" The XL series is street legal, with a battery and all lighting equipment for use on the streets, but is also suited for dirt."

"The XR series is strictly for off road use. Being a competition -orientated machine."

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
Yup--

that's right. :)
A few years ago that was the rage -- two stroke weight with lights. :cool:
To ride Red, it was either an XR600 or buy an CRE ---until the XR400 came along at least.
:)

Jh85

May 17, 2001
Thats funny you brought this up. I was just thinking about it.

XR eXtremly Reliable
CR Close Ratio (Transmission)
TT-R Time To Ride
RM RooooM RoooooM (Engine Noises)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I do believe that the X means politely, excuse me, may I proceed down the path, or excuse me, can you give me a push? GET OUT OF THE WAY MAN! Take that bumping little XR50 and move your butt, there's racing going on around here and you either need to grab a flag and wave off the lappers or throttle on! Just cause I have an XR in my signature doesn't mean anything, let it pass!
Elk

Top Bottom