what kind of safety equipment should i buy?

theshark

Sep 27, 2005
im kind of new to dirt bike equipment and am curious on what you guys are using, what works and what doesnt.

so far i have a kbc dot/snell approved helmet and some SG10 boots on the way, but im curious about other stuff..

i saw that alpinestar makes a bionic jacket, which looks like it goes under your jersey and protects, spine, chest, kidneys, shoulders and forearm/elbows... its kinda expensive but so is replacing any one of those body parts.

anyone use something like this?
i also ride sport bikes so something that i can use for both would be better.

thanks

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I have a 661 one pressure suit and yes it was expensive, but no more expensive than buying a chest protector,elbow pads, kidney belt, and spine protector. It is cheaper if you add it up that way. I also just purchased a regular chest protector and some elbow pads because it gets so friekin hot here in Arkansas. The 661 isn't really that bad if you don't wear a jersey over it though, but I like to have options until it cools down some. If you already have the helmet and boots I would say the next thing you would want is either some body armor or at least a chest protector. After that I would say you might want some knee guards, I have the thor force and love them, a little uncomfy when you first put them on but I don't even notice them while I am riding.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I too had a SixSixOne Pressure Suit (I say "had" because it got cut off in the Trauma Center a month ago) and I plan on getting another one before I ride again. Yeah, it can be hot, but I only found it to be a problem when I stopped moving. As long as I was riding, it was fine. You will need a bigger jersey to fit it, however. I wore a Large Thor Core jersey normally and went to a XXL with the Pressure Suit and it worked fine for me. My XL AXO jersey also fit OK with the suit. I prefer it to separate pads because the elbow pads don't fall down your arms when you're riding. That was the main reason I bought one, to be honest. After I got it, I was sold on the extra protection.

I'd also suggest knee pads at minimum, preferably something that extends into the top of your boots. A friend had one ride up in a crash and he took a footpeg to the shin in the process, which wasn't fun at all. When I broke my femur the knee pads saved my knee from damage, on top of the broken bone.

You said you have a helmet already; if you don't have goggles, get some. Your eyes are worth the $25 price tag. Enough said.

Now, if you can afford it, I'd also suggest a set of Asterisk Cell knee braces. Yeah, they're $500 or so, which I realize is a lot of cash, and your knees may be fine right now. Ask anyone who's had a knee injury if they'd pay $500 to undo the damage and I'll bet dollars to donuts that they'd jump at the chance. Better to try and prevent the injury in the first place. I've got those on the "to buy list," after I get a new Pressure Suit.

Decent MX pants are also nice because they're cut to fit knee guards/braces and most have leather patches inside the legs to help you grip the bike. You can typically buy last years models on closeout, with a jersey, for reasonable prices. I've got two sets myself (the third set fell victim to the doctor's scissors in the Trauma Unit, the first time I wore them no less) and it is nice not having to put on funky, dirty gear to go riding two days in a row or before your other set dries out.

The most important factor to consider is that this stuff is protecting your hide in a crash, meaning it isn't a really smart place to try and pinch a few pennies. Those carbon fiber fork protectors don't do you much good in a hospital bed, if you follow me.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
The most important factor to consider is that this stuff is protecting your hide in a crash, meaning it isn't a really smart place to try and pinch a few pennies. Those carbon fiber fork protectors don't do you much good in a hospital bed, if you follow me.

Ditto; He said it better than me. Dress for the crash, not for the ride. :ohmy: :ohmy:

theshark

Sep 27, 2005
thanks for the great input, yeah i got some goggles, i cant stand taking rocks in the eyes... ill definitely look into those knee protectors and that pressure suit, i dont mind spending the cash on good equipment, thats why i went from 130$ fly talons to 300$ gaerne sg10s without flinching.

i do have a joe rocket jacket with some shoulder, elbow, and back protection ill be wearing until i can get that full getup going.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
I bought this body armour from a guy near me who sells them. It cost me $70.00 Canadian Dollers(around $60.00 US) If you guys are interested I can see how many more he has. Oh and by the way,thats not me in the pics,they are from the advertisement

Attachments

• 9b_1_b.jpg
    9b_1_b.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 18_1_b.jpg
    18_1_b.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 220

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
That looks OK, but the back protector in the SixSixOne Pressure Suit is much closer to one used by roadracers and looks much better to me. In my six years of roadracing I've seen them tested enough to want to stick with a proven quantity.

It also has straps from the shoulder pads to the elbow pads, which allow you to adjust them to fit you perfectly and keep them from sliding down.

With all that said, that suit you posted is better than no suit at all.

Speedfreek

Nov 3, 2003
I've tested the roadrace ones on a road course before and they do work well. I have also had opportunity to test this one out last time out riding. Very comfy laying on back in the woods while waiting to catch breath that was knocked out.
The elbow pads stay in place nicely.I'm not endorsing this product just passing on a deal I found.use your own judgement and do what you feel comfy with :cool:

Top Bottom