What makes the ultimate Off-Road weapon?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
For all around use (not dual sport)... ?
Tight, open, sand, climbs, technical, fast.... you know, the bike that would handle everything?

Not talking about bike brands, rather what goes on the bike, your list of must-have's, wish-you-could-haves... the whole deal. Let's see your parts list, by mfg, as much detail as you can provide. 2-stroke required.

What part
Why that part / benefit
Who makes the best of said part?

Here's your chance to build your dream bike, no budget. Let's hear it! Please educate this track queen :p

(to be clear, no Okie is not turning into a woods rider, although I had a freaking BLAST at DW, even with the stump induced broken toe and NO I don't have an unlimited budget LOL!

BUT... gathering this info is VERY important and your input is VERY much appreciated).

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
If your are riding an MX bike, revalve at least the fork, Jeremy @ MXtech

If you are riding sand, Michelin S-12’s FR and RR. Dunlop 773’s are also good.

O-ring chain, RK, DID, EK, they are all decent. No need to spend too much money. Be sure to allow for more clearance within your chain guide.

Enduro Engineering hand guards are my personal favorite

Add flywheel weight depending on the bike and riding conditions. Stealhy?

Softer (and taller if needed) seat by SDG or EE for a KTM. More sitting when woods riding and for longer periods. Taller seat makes transition easier on the knees.

Scotts steering damper, if needed based on bike and conditions. I never needed one for my YZF. The new KTM may require one though. The jury is still out.

Spark arrestor, for most new four strokes the PMB end cap and quiet insert is a great option. For a 2-stroke, FMF. For a KTM, EE.

Do you need to title the bike for connecting up trail systems? That presents a whole new challenge and related parts list.

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
Two must haves:
1. less weight (under 210 pounds)
2. Better suspension (highly personal)

Motor can be whatever you prefer - again motor preferences - both type and size are highly personal.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
If Service Honda made an off road version of their 500AF, with electric start and lights, that would be cool. Then you could add on whatever armor you felt you needed (handguards, skidplates, etc). I would probably stick to DRN sponsors as much as I could for the parts I'd want.

Heck, I'd even want a set of supermoto wheels. In Idaho, I could probably get away with a license plate on the sucker :p

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I don't know about having a 2 stroke, but I think the following could apply to both:

Suspension - MxTech, I have it and it was the best money spent yet

Ascerbis Rally Pro Handguards - Need good hand protection for the trees.

ProTaper fat bars - Cut down to under 31"

Scotts Steering Stabilizer - Don't have one yet, but I'm saving.

Michelin S-12 front tire - cornering traction essential. If you can't trust your front tire, who can you trust?

IMS wide pegs - for when you have to actually stand up.

IMS folding shifter - for those of us who occasionally take a spill.

IMS oversized tank - no need for gas stops

White Bros e-series tunable exhaust. This may be 4 stroke branding here.

Recluse auto clutch - I don't have one, but the people I talk to who do really like them.

K & N air filter - Easy to clean and reusable.

If I think of anymore, I'll add later.

Mark

Good O-ring chain and steel sprockets

E-start would be nice to - once again a 4 stroke thing.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Ditto on all said before - though I would trust Napper at EE with the supension work. Most of the goodies that come to my mind are EE items. Partly 'cause my 2nd KTM happened to come with all of them, i liked them and followed suit with my new bike.

Clutch Slave Guard (way cheaper than a new case) EE
Rear Brake fin EE
Bars at 29" for me (maybe 29 1/2) - my own pipe cutter does that trick
High Out put lighting coil for some night time play time (? dunno who to do that)
Easy pull clutch lever EE - lazy left hand likes this big time...even on a KTM hydro unit
CF Pipe Guard Eline - some bling, and they work well!
I would street legalize it as well - brake light switch, headlight switch etc.
Wider tougher chain guide (my EE one has held up well)
Hardened wheel spacers
Barkbusters of course
I like the looks of those fastway mounts for the Bark busters
Some taller bars, or the KTM Hardparts bar risers would be nice
G2 Ergo Throttle cam would be cool to...
Ditto on the S-12s, tall soft seat, FWW maybe (cant say i would put one on my 250, though i did have one on my 300).

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Must haves:
Barkbusters. Fastway makes a sweet setup the leaves handlebar space for other stuff. Bark busters are mandatory for woods battle.
Skid plate. Something aluminum as it is more durable than CF.
Pipe guard. Eline Carbon fibre. Carbon fibre has give that aluminum doesn't, so big hits will not deform the exhaust spigot, pipe mounts or cylinder.
Radiator guards. Make sure they have braces AND puncture protection!
Oversize Handlebars. Pro-taper Taperwall Mini-High bend. They're 30.50 inches wide so no need for cutting.
Full-waffle grips in soft compound with grip donuts. Yeah comfort and grip.
Suspension revalve. Pick your favorite company and go for it. I use Pro Works Racing.
Kenda Milville rear tire. Not sure what on the front, haven't found any that are exceptionally better than others yet.

Other sweet goodies:
Scotts Steering Damper. Need I say more?
Hydraulic clutch. KTM and GasGas are on to something.
Slave-cylinder for said clutch. Must have for GasGas and KTM bikes.
TM Designworks Chain guide or LTR Chain guide for Gassers.
LTR Powervalve Cover for GasGas bikes.
Scotts Sharkfin.
Excel Pro Wheel Sets. Damn they're cool.
BRP Triple clamps. Again, they are cool and can move the bar position if needed.
Brake and Shifter snake for bikes that have the shifter and or brake pedal sticking out a lot. My bike doesn't need them, but a lot of others need them.
ARC or ASV Levers. Not necessary with bark busters but if you can afford them, why not?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okie:

I knew it ... you're a closet woodie!!! :nod:

In no particular order except the first three.

Revalved suspension - Jer did mine and I now swear by it
Rekluse - dang I wish could justify one.
Pipe guard - I have already replaced my pipe once on my 200

Bark Busters - I have EE and MSR ... same stuff different branding
Chain guard - as someone else said, much cheaper than a case
Skid Plate
M12 front and rear is what I have on all my big bikes except my 650R
Good lighting - thinking DS here
Plated for street use - again DS
Narrow bars

ditto all the little stuff others have mentioned

Skuta

Jan 31, 2006
My dream bike would be as follows.

My dream bike is cr500 a/f so thats what I start with.

Than I would have pro curcuit pipes all the way around - For looks and sound and of course performance.

Tag triple clamps - for pro tapers
Pro tapers - they are awesome and fit me well
port the motor - gotta have more power
20" tire in front and 18" in the back - for handling and they are tougher
the one industries david baiylee 86 500 replica plastics. - man I love the way they look, real nostalgic.
did gold o-ring chain - looks and strength
renthal sprockets - change gearing and they look good.
the enzo subtank suspension in front - better handling and bottom resistance.
Have race tech do suspension to my specs. - gives better feel and handling, I like a stiffer setup.
the power now things - better throttle response
baja design light kit - to ride at night
ims desert tank - that big 500 needs lots of fuel
excel rims - looks
talon hubs - lighter and stronger
big boy spokes - tougher
k&n filter - performance
flywheel weight -

This is my ultimate dream machine and I will have it one day. And when I do aint nothin gonna stop me. :boss:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
something is giving me the willies, be very very afraid, first Pred defends RC and now i see Okie on to a 2 stroke thing???????

edit:to keep on topic sorta , i was thinking of getting an extra seat with KDX foam for my bike when im in the woods alot. a long weekend of woods riding makes for 10 days of monkeybutt on a stock mx seat

BenjaminPQ

Spammer
Jan 4, 2001
Okiewan said:
For all around use (not dual sport)... ?
Tight, open, sand, climbs, technical, fast.... you know, the bike that would handle everything?

Not talking about bike brands, rather what goes on the bike, your list of must-have's, wish-you-could-haves... the whole deal. Let's see your parts list, by mfg, as much detail as you can provide. 2-stroke required.

What part
Why that part / benefit
Who makes the best of said part?

Here's your chance to build your dream bike, no budget. Let's hear it! Please educate this track queen :p

(to be clear, no Okie is not turning into a woods rider, although I had a freaking BLAST at DW, even with the stump induced broken toe and NO I don't have an unlimited budget LOL!

BUT... gathering this info is VERY important and your input is VERY much appreciated).

There is one thing that I can say for certain. No manufacture has come even close to, what I consider to be, the ultimate woods weapon. However, let me help them out a bit: :fft:

-Light weight (200lbs. would be real nice)
-Turning friendly rake and wheel base
-With shorter wheel base comes the need for a steering stabilizer
-A motor with power delivery like an XR, maybe not 650 power but around 40 would be great for woods (you don't need much when it all gets to the ground).
-Personalized suspension with purchase :nod:
-Double high bend bars, hand guards, oversized pegs
-Enduro computer with GPS
-Custom seat molded for my azz and my azz only :moon:
-Studded tires with Moose foam tubes (just use them year round) :aj:

That sounds about right

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Start with 'suspension and ergos...seat, bars...it is a long day

Hydraulic clutch is a must....auto clutch will help in the very technical stuff

Grab an EE catalog and max out the credit card!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
While I still really dig my KXR284 (I better since I built it for me!) I think given the parameters of ultimate and do it all plus money doesn't seem to be an object in this little exercise there is one really good starting point. The Service Honda CR500AFX. It's reasonably light since it is a 2 stroke 500 in a CRF250X chassis which also makes it a pretty darn nimble mount as well and I just don't think power is an issue. Until you have ridden an open class 2 stroke that is well setup don't think they are all 600 pound gorilla's with a tooth ache. There's great low end for those tight trails and PLENTY of power for climbing crazy hills or blasting in the sand or impressing the heck out of Tim Allen Arr, Arr, Arr, ARRR!

:think: Then of course you have the mega cool factor of having a hand built Honda that can be delivered to you with a vast assortment of modifications.

What else would make the AFX the ultimate bike or at lease the ultimate starting point? I don't know that it get's much more low maintenance that a CR500 engine. No frame "paint" to worry about (unless you want SH to powder coat it for ya').. Many stock pieces from various Honda models fit up so you shouldn't be hanging out in the cold if you bust a radiator or something similar. A monster lighting coil and the juice to power it plus pretty much whatever else you stick on it "stock".

Give me a little while and I'll come up with some ideas to make the ultimate bike even mo' betta'! :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Acerbis bark buster (the one with metal) I really like my son new pair, there slimmer and mount very cleanly. I've heard advance riders saying they've dragged EE's or Fredette's style bark busters on the ground. Some thing that I’ll never could do. I have EE's on my Berg they work just fine. Taller, narrower bars would be nice. "Hydraulic clutch is a must" I couldn't consider going back to a cable? Soft seat? Just stand up! I like my ICO dual sport odometer. If you’re going to race enduro's you might one that has more functions, GPS yes I'd like one. A good tool kit and survival kit. A large hydration system like the camel back hog. It has lots of room to for goodies.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The stuff:
18 inch rear wheel
Solid rear rotor -Braking
Semi Metallic Brakes shoes rear
EE Shark fin
If the bike is orange then EE suspension sprung to your weight
Skid plate
I like Michelin tires
I like EE hand guards
O ring chain EK
You will need a pipe but it depends on what bike
Pro Taper handlebars, there is no other choice, Mini high bend works good for woods
I have a rekluse auto clutch, it's nice -pro's don't like them.
Hydro clutch even with an auto clutch
Aircells on your forks for bling bling factor http://store.aircellracing.com/
Watchdog 2000 off road computer with Scotts holder
Braking wave front rotor
Bullit Proof designs rad guards
V force III reed valve
EE chain guard
THE BIKE:
The motor needs to be smooth, so if porting, head work, reeds, flywheels AND EXHAUST need to be done the key is to have good strong but smooth power with good low end for off road.

Last edited:

Top Bottom