ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I see a lot of post that have say to use everything from a BEK to CEL and everything in between A to Z. My question is what do they all mean and how on earth would you know which one to use.
I would like to change needle on my 97 200 so it doesnt hit so hard around 5500 rpm.
The setup I have now is: Just installed flywheel weight 10oz. 1174 needle in second clip, number 5 slide, 155 main and 45 pilot,a/s out 1 1/2 turns but change acording to weather. Air box lid removed, factory reed cage with boyseen reeds in great shape. FMF rev pipe and power core II silencer. I know a torque pipe would help but I would try needles first. Run 13 front sprocket and 50 rear. Run at 1550 altitude in 70 to 90 degree weather.
Hope somebody can enlighten me on this needle stuff.
Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You should be pretty close jet-wise..a bit rich maybe for the 200. That can make your hit situation worse...the hit being a recovery from a poorly carbureted situation just prior. It's NOT necessarily your bike 'coming on the pipe' with everything mixture wise being fine.

Your being a bit rich on the pilot can make the 'hit' worse.

That said, the rev (kg30) will hit harder than the torque (kg35).

From CDave's site ( http://justkdx.dirtrider.net ) :
With a performance pipe/expansion chamber, the air box lid removed and the stock or a performance silencer run a 42/45 pilot, R1174K jet needle in the mid clip position, a 152/155 main jet fine tune the pilot circuit using the air screw.

Needles will change to 'everything inbetween A-Z' depending on particular bike, particular rider, conditions, riding style, terrain, desired effect. It's largely a matter of taste....thus the wide range of 'opinions'.

Hey!...everybody has one!!

Also on CDave's site there is needle decode info.

I'm not sure where, 'I've see a lot of posts' fits with 'what do they all mean and how on earth would you know which one to use?'.

JD posted a HUGE amount of priceless info here:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=19686

Thread is called: EMERGENCY RB Designs Jetting Info Needed

It's in 'Archives' 'Technical Posts' for future reference.

If you want to know more about needles, magic numbers, measurements, that's a good place to start.

Also (ha...you thought I was done!)

Go here:

http://www.carbparts.com/keihin/needles_tuning/jet_needles/pj_34_39_jn.html

..to see a needle graphic, keihin numbers via chart, and a description of how to go 'one leaner' 'one richer' by clip and taper.

Have a headache, yet?

Nah!

Jetting can turn your bike from a pig into a blast! The finer state of tune your bike is in, the more picky jetting gets to be. If you keep after it, though...you'll get to KNOW when to tweak what, when a change is needed, and the end result will be a bike that is so much more fun you'll wonder how you EVER got along before! It (jetting) can lead you to a whole line of, 'Wow! It's NEVER run like THIS before!!'

And THAT is the whole point!!!

Cheers!

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Ninjaman...I had the same problem with the hard hitting mid range.
I tried several needles and so far the best results for me was a BGL 2nd clip position.
Took away that snappy hit. Made the bike pull alot more linear and made it a ton more forgiving. Don't get me wrong,,,,it's no dog. Still has gobbs of bottom end and plently-o-top end grunt. It's just more ridable in the tight woods.
As canyncarvr stated.... the bike, for me, has become alot more fun and suited to my taste. I do however,,,find myself much more aware and picky of my jetting..caution...it does become addictive.
But well worth the effort.

Joe

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
Thanks for your guys input. I do ride super tight woods and tight trees. Go down steep hills and do a 90 and back up right beside the one coming down. A lot of 1 and 2nd gear riding, on the flat areas I get to 3rd. Does anybody have Sudco's number? I had it once and now cant seem to find it.

Thanks for your tips guys, this is a great site for all the information.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Sudco
1-800-998-3529

Top Bottom