angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Personally, I think Jeremy has learned his lesson this year. You can't take the summer off and stay in shape. I bet he'll train really hard in the off season and give it one more all out try next year. If he doesn't win next year, don't expect to see him hang around much longer. I'm suprised how fragile his confidence is, he's struggling to make the podium even when he gets good starts.

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I doubt Jeremy will train real hard this summer. He said it himself, he's looking forward to taking some time off relax and enjoying the summer with his watercraft. Translation - He is gonna take the summer off and get fat and lazy just like last year.... If he truly does take the summer off and "relax" look for him to be even slower next year........ His excuse for not racing the Nationals use to be that he wanted to prolong his SX career. If he has a year like this next season he wont be prolonging it. MC is a champion use to winning. If he can't dominate again look for him to hang it up. MC needs to just roll out to the nationals....He knows and we know he would not win a title but he sure would be in shape and ready for Supercross..... His problem now is not talent its lack of endurance or strength.... Racing the Nationals may be the best thing for him...........

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
If he is genuinely serious about another run he can get himself back up to speed, but only time will tell. To me he looks a little chubbier this year than in years past, also it seems that once RC started winning he lost alot of his drive this year. Instead of being 1 or 2 like he was at the start of the season now he's been running 4-7 position it seems. Once MC starts losing he seems to fall apart. Look back at the 97 nationals and his year at Suzuki. At the start of the season he was consitently near the front but when he wasn't winning he lost his drive. I heard that by the end of the season the only time he was riding a bike was at the races, he had given up on practice during the week. Next year MC could be the SX champ again if he wants it bad enough, he's shown us enough times that he is a winner.

S

Saratoga

It is so easy for all of us to criticize the greatest rider of all time. As I sit in my high back chair and reach over my fat belly to type I have to agree, maybe MC has gotten chubby. Slow too. I think I will trade in my XR 650 for a YZ and go kick his butt!

Do you guys have a sliver of an idea how hard it is to win a Supercross? MC is still the second fastest human on this planet. Show some respect.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Even the greatest have to fad some time....What RC has done is incredible, but DANG! I was really hoping to see 4 or 5 different guys step up and start winning and make a real interesting race of it! This one-rider domination is impressive for sure, but it does take alot of the excitement out of it.:(

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Saratoga
Can you honestly say Jeremy is in top shape? He fades at the end of every race. I have nothing against the guy, and I think he'll come back strong next year. I dispute your opinion that he's the second fastest rider right now. Yes in points, but ont the track the last few races, no way. If he rode the nationals, which are way more physically demanding, he'd be lucky to get top five. When was the last time you saw Jeremy go from holeshot to sixth in a main? I never have. He's always been able to win supercross with amazing natural ability. The nationals clearly takes more than that, which is why he hasn't won as many outdoor titles. Maybe it's hard to motivate after 7 titles. I personally think he would do better if he trained harder.

S

Saratoga

Angry Jim:
Jeremy thought he was in top shape after winning Anaheim round one. I was there for the interview and he thanked Gary Semics for spending six weeks training him. My speculation is that as a team owner he had too much on his plate. Also he is twenty nine.

Ricky on the other hand has been training year round, much younger, and very hungry. He has a team manager that makes sure he doesn't worry about anything else but riding.

Jeremy could certainly be in better shape. Unfortunately, I think that he still wouldn't win. Ricky proves that a combination of other ingredients can beat a rider with more natural talent.

I raced at the Hollister GP track on Sunday with the OTHG. Were you there?

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Saratoga
I actually raced a hare scramble there saturday. I've done moto-cross before, but I concentrate on the cross country series now. I like the longer races. The Hollister track is nice though.
Yeah, Carmichael is too fast. I agree that he would have won anyway. Mike Larocco is 30, and fast as ever. Did you see how fit he looked in the Honda ad?
How'd you do in the race?

S

Saratoga

Angry Jim:
Fourth in the +38 Novice class. Not bad for an old fart I guess. My racing career started very late! That was my second race ever. Those jumps seem real big to us old guys.
Later

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
It happened before, it'll happen again . . .

Jeremy lost the title to Emig in 97, then came back with a vengeance in 98 to win it back. I forsee him doing the same thing next year--if not winning the title, at least putting up a better fight. I also think that win or lose, 2002 will be Mac's last full season.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
XRP has been reading my mind.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Kali, I agree with you 100-percent! What does McGrath have left to prove? He already has more money than he or his children will spend and with all the titles and race wins, there is nothing left to prove. Carmichael kicked his butt this year and odds are, he'll do it again next year. He's too fast and too hungry. In my opinion, Jeremy should walk away and enjoy life, maybe be a team manager and stay involved with the sport but pass the torch to Carmichael, Pastrana and the rest of the young lions. As for being in shape, I think he is in shape, or as fit as he's going to be. Fading at the end of a race is often more of a mental thing than it is physical. RC has him beat mentally and when you're going backwards instead of forward, it's very difficult for any rider to keep pushing and fighting for many laps. When Jeremy is interviewed at the end of these races, he doesn't appear physically spent to me, only mentally drained. I wish the guy all the luck in the world and he could prove us wrong and come back and win next year, it wouldn't surprise me although I doubt it will happen. I think it's time for him to step down. Jeremy is not the type of racer who competes for the joy of it. He competes for one reason, and that is to win and dominate. If he's not winning, he's not going to want any part of it. Just my two-cents.

S

Saratoga

It's not about the money. Most people become fixated on money because they need more. When you have more than you need, you focus on other needs. Some successful people are great because they aren't doing it for the money.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Mr. McGrath has done alot for our sport, both as role model and expanding it's notoriety. For that I respect him and will alway's consider him as one of the greats.

I don't believe he is driven anymore to be a rider. I believe the last few years have been more driven and manuevered as marketing moves. He is without out a doubt, the best marketed rider ever in the sport. Mostly from his and his family's own doing. He is obviously a extremely talented rider and was still able to win fairly effortlessly. I expect him to now transition into his next marketing phase, wich I believe will be team owner. He has the ability I believe, as well as the comercial viability to upstage even the factories.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Driven and marketable . . .

Travis Pastrana is the man of the future! You are going to see his face everywhere. If you think Jeremy was big, just you wait.

Heck, my 3 year old daughter is in love with him already!:eek:

PanicRev

Nov 16, 2000
MC will always be a hero to our sport. He has surpassed every record in the book. Wins, championships, you name it, he has done it. It's a discrace to see fans that will completely disown him just because someone else has finally stepped up to the plate. RC is now what Jeremy was in the mid '90s. He can't be touched. MC knew that his records wouldn't last forever, but he definitely wasn't expecting them to be broken so quickly. Now, what he does this off season is completely up to him. He knows that there is nothing that he has left to prove, but Jeremy, just like all of us, loves racing, so as for next season, Ricky, be ready.

Last edited:

TWright43

Apr 21, 2000
Im not necessarily a big MC fan but you gotta respect the guy.

I honestly believe that MC will come back faster and harder than ever just to prove that he can beat RC.

also I did predict that RC would take it this year too, a month or two before the series, hehe.

huskyboy

Feb 5, 2000
Jeremy

I had the chance to attend the Salt Lake City supercross, my first, and it was fantastic. I must admit, even though I am happy for Carmichael, I was hoping that MC would win the main. He started off strong and led for a while but then faded back and ended up in 6th place. It's like he can't put out for 20 laps. I think he is not in good enough shape. RC is the complete opposite. He gradually made his way to first and stayed there. He has endurance.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Originally posted by XRpredator
Travis Pastrana is the man of the future! You are going to see his face everywhere. If you think Jeremy was big, just you wait.

You are like the Swami on Johnny Carson! :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm Karnak. Those answers were kept hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch all day.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
remind me to ignore it next time pred posts his prediction on the lastest hot stock.

Top Bottom