What parts needed for KIPS rebuild?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Scheduling maintenance this winter has been tough since I sprung for Trelleborg studded tires. I’d rather be out riding, and now the weather is not as much of an excuse :). Still, I have to bite the bullet soon and I’m about to order some parts to get ready to do the top end sometime in the next month. My question: for the KIPS system there are a number of seals and gaskets. Is it a good idea to replace these when the KIPS are disassembled for cleaning during a top end, or is that overkill and I should just wait to see how they look?

The parts in question:

Attachments

• rangeimage.gif
    rangeimage.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 185

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Just get the head and base gaskets along with the KIPS cover gasket and take it aprt and clean her up good. I have had mine apart 3 times in 3 years and never used any of the gaskets or seals you mentioned.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Here's what you DON'T want to hear..kinda

A gasket set (say from cometic) comes with the gaskets you may..or may not need for the kips valve cover, the actuator rod cover, etc etc.

My riding buddy called today about gaskets for his rebuild..was told that a base gasket and head gasket (from a dealer) would cost MORE than an aftermarket kit that has everything you might need.

I'm sure you'll do some comparison shopping, but might as well have ALL the gaskets you might need if it's going to cost you LESS. A win-win situation.

BUT...my last rebuld (last weekend) I used ONLY the base and head gaskets out of the kit I bought. Didn't need the others.

BTW..the tolerance mark on the kdx ( I think you mentioned not seeing this?) is on the LH top of the cylinder. You can see it with the head on.

But, you having a 225, it doesn't matter, huh?

Wish I had one-a those.......................:(

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I agree, the OEM gaskets are insane. Just the head gasket alone from Kawasaki is around $22. I’ve got a Cometic top-end gasket kit sitting on my desk. Guess I should open it up and make sure, but it’s the same kind as I had last spring from Eric and I don’t think is has any of the little KIPS oil seals & stuff in it. I’m just trying to assemble all the parts ahead of time to minimize down-time when I do the top end. Last year I was spoiled because Eric did the KIPS cleaning & reassembly as part of the big-bore kit. This year it’s my turn.

Get yourself the EG 225 treatment. With the RB carb mod, it’s a great combo. I have fun swapping with KTM riders and then enjoying the “I don’t believe this!” look . :cool:

Top Bottom