skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
My 88 CR250R has some really faded and beat up plastics. Will newer CR plastics fit on it with minimal mods? or will I have to find factory pieces?

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Well I found the right plastics for my 88. But now I need a gas tank, because mine is very faded and I cannot seem to find a new one.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm going with the factory '88 pieces and colors. I work in a body shop so I'll probably strip the bike down when I restore it and refinish the frame. I'll also probably get the seat reupholstered in the same fabric as all the newer bikes but still in red. That pic is pretty hardcore BTW, I'm absolutely in love with this bike.

You wouldn't happen to know where to get the factory graphics would you? I can only find new model sets, and thats depressing.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Back in 88 it was just a white wing and the cc's of the bike under the wing on the radiator shroud.

Thanks for the pic comment. That was a good year for me on the 500. I won that race and qualified for Loretta Lynn's. Lake Whitney is the best track in the country. That comment will probably get some heat but anyone that's raced there will agree. The 88's had a good handling chassis, you'll like it once you get it set up.

The guy that took that pic had a 88 CR250 like yours. I met him one day at a Honda shop I worked at. A few years later he was a groomsman for me when I got hitched.

Good luck getting your bike going. :cool:

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks man, here is a pic as she sits right now.

100_3092.jpg

100_3091.jpg

Hopefully I can get some good use and a lot of fun out of this thing.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Looks like someone put a XR muffler on that bike, get the right silencer and you will find some speed. It also looks like a after market pipe that's been painted.

The forks need some red gators to look OEM. The scrapers that I used were a bad idea, they allow the fork legs to get pitted. Pitted legs will cause leaky seals

That rear tire appears to be a Dunlop K695, not a bad hard pack tire.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Yeah my buddy put that silencer on it. Apparently the old one was in sad shape and that one was free. The pipe on it is pretty messed up, a few big dents, and someone did a spot repair with a welder. It also leaks from that weld and a little from the front flange. I just planned to put a FMF gnarly pipe and FMF power core silencer.

http://www.btosports.com/p/350-SILPC

Would any of those year/model bikes pipe fit on my 250 without much modding?

One more:

100_3093.jpg

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
I also know its hard to see, but it has this adjustable shock/spring on the back. Any idea what brand it could be? I'm pretty sure its aftermarket since its height is adjustable. The spring is red if that makes any difference, and has an exterior canister. The canister has a Pro Grips decal on it.

Also, bet you can't guess what I paid for it. :laugh:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
The FMF pipe in the proper year will fit. Any other year I cant say. Team Honda ran the Pro Circuit pipes back then. I'm sure they were tailored for them and the one that you can buy is tailored to improving the stock motor. FMF has historically been a better pipe for low to mid range power and Pro Circuit tends to smooth out the power and add a bit of over rev.

The Gnarly pipe is a good choice. I think FMF uses a thicker steel on the Gnarly series so it will hold up well to general purpose riding.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Cool, thanks for all the help man. I'll keep this thread updated as I work on the bike. This weekend I plan to tune the carb a bit and make sure I have some fun on my local trails, haha.

skarpenz

Feb 3, 2008
Haw. I paid $230 and 2 14" wheels off a civic. Haha. I didn't realise the suspension came stock with adjustable ride height, thats awesome. Thanks again!

Top Bottom