The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
Hi guys, I pick up my brand new KDX 220 on saturday:confused: . I haven't ridden in 15 years and when I last rode I threw on a pair of army boots, jeans and helmet and away I went. I am going to buy jersey, pants, gloves, boots and helmet. The wife is getting a little concerned with the cash outflow (did I forget to mention the springs for fork and shock, pipe, piston kit and RB carb mod I want to do?) so I need to spend wisely but I still want good gear. I have been looking at an O'Neal SL 710 helmet for $120, I really the look and fit. I am most confused with boots. Tech 8's would be nice but too much. I not sure if I'll be happy with O'Neal Elements or Thor T-20 boots. Any input would be appreciated, thanks everybody.

dtsviper

~SPONSOR~
May 31, 2000
Well, in the boot department I am HEAVILY biased. I wouldn't put anything but Alpinestars on my feet. I actually use/prefer the Tech 6 boots, because I know they will protect my feet and ankles. They can be had for about $220 online.

Apparently the kids in my neighborhood like my Alpinestars as well. They seem to have relocated them to one of their houses earlier last week (in other words - they STOLE them! Darn brats! I hope I find out who it was... :debil: )

I used to have AXO's and liked them. Not sure how the newer ones work. You might check for reviews in forums or from old magazine articles.

I am actually shopping for boots for my wife and am at a toss-up as to what to get her. I imagine she will get a black pair of Alpinestars like mine. Go figure.

Helmets? That is a whole other topic... If you value your lid, cover it with something that is Snell and DOT certified. I like my Bell, but next time I would try something else. Just my personal preference on the Bell.

Clothes? Well, I normally wear Fox gear, but the Yamaha near me has MSR gear on sale for dirt cheap - almost all the time. Like pants for $45 and Jerseys for $25 (all colors)! Can't beat that with a stick!

Good luck. Let us know how the mods work out!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Helmet - get what fits & is comfortable & Dot & Snell approved.

Check out online shops for close-outs, or ask your local dealer if they have any close-out stuff - up to you. Yes, boots can be had this way too.

A list of things you should get (my opinion):
helmet
boots
pants
roost protector
kidney belt
gloves
rehydration system
knee guards
goggles (especially if you're riding with others)
Cool but don't need: shirt

That is in no particular order, get all of them at the same time.
Michelle
(email is on its way, hope it helps)

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
BTO sports is online. They usually have package deals on boots pants jersey, and gloves that are pretty decent. As far as a helmet buy it where you can try it on! I tried on many different brands before choosing the one I wanted. My son chose the Thor SVX helmet and I use a Fly Carbon Fiber. As mentioned in previous replies be sure whatever you choose has the DOT and Snell ratings..
Lew

BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
I'm in the same boat as you. I just bought an 02 KDX 200 and decided to get all the gear because I'm older & wiser. Did a lot of research for what would fit my riding situation/budget. I don't plan to race competitively, just trail ride and use the local track. But with that said I got a Bieffe XTech helmet DOT/Snell 2000 for $69 and Scott goggles $20 from Beldon Motorsports on ebay, they have sizing charts and it fit perfect, got Ocelot package from Chaparal for $129, included shirt, pants, boots(series 2) & gloves also ordered Acerbis Bomber chest protector $79, elbow guards, knee guards from Bobs Cycle, great deals on gear. Also, took off those cheap hand protectors and got Acerbis Pro Rally Handguards $69 Hope this helps. I feel I got good gear but not top of the line, but was on limited budget. Do some research and check the closeouts sections. I also picked a KDX factory service manual for $35 from repairmanuals.com If you need more details let me know.

TN.220

Feb 17, 2002
Hey axman,
Definitely buy the gear before the bike mods! Saftey first.
For the boots I have fox forma comp's. They're great except for toe width,
they're a little wide. I guess it's what you get used to. For the helment I
have an HJC. The same style helments can fit very diferently so try several
before choosing one, and I think a roost protector is a must.

LARRY

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I'd only heard about back protectors recently but am going to get one soon. They're made to cover the spinal column with varying lengths dependng on the protection you want. I've just gotten into this sport but every time I wipe out I end up landing on and skidding along on my back. Luckily there's lots of snow on the ground but I'll have something to protect myslef before it's gone.
Just one more thing to consider. DVO

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
Thanks for the input so far!!! I think I'm kinda fortunate in that Bob's Cycle is about 20 minutes from my house. I've been over there 3 times so far going thru their clearance bins. I will definately be buying the safety gear before the mods (as per the subtle hints from my wife:o ) Wouldn't ya know it started to snow here and I pick up my bike in 3 days:think . How do these babies run in the snow.........HEHE.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom