What should I get for my first bike?

Danarchy

Dec 5, 2007
Hi, I live in San Diego County, and I'm looking into getting a dirt bike. I'm a total novice, never even ridden a street bike before, and I'm looking for any advice on what bike to get. I'm going the used route because I'd like to keep it under $2000 for my first bike. I'm not looking to race, just to have fun in the desert and woods.

I'm 23, 5'6", and 150 lbs.

I've looked around a little, and the CRF 230 seems to be the best bet. There are a lot of KX250s around for a good price, but I think that may be a little too much bike.

Also, would a 150 be too underpowered to consider?

From what I've heard, 4-strokes are easier for a beginner to handle, as well as easier maintenance. Should I consider 2-strokes?

All in all, I'm just looking for suggestions on what bike to get.

Thanks,
Dan

TC21

May 31, 2007
I would say a kdx200, TT-r250 or a 125 and maybe a shaved seat. Not sure if you are tall enough for a 37.4 or a 39" seat height.

A 250 would be way too much bike for a beginner.

Jan 3, 2007
You could go with a 125 2 stroke, a Kawasaki KDX220, KDX200 (2 strokes), or a XR250. All of them would make an alright begginer bike and would give you a fun time for the money.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
The crf230 would be my first choice but you probably wont find 230 for 2 grand or less unless it real beat up, a 125 is probably not the best choice for just playing around riding, a 125 mx bike only makes power when in the high rpm. the kdx200/ 220 is a good option as is the xr250, xr200 or klx250. Or get the best of both worlds and look at the klr250 or xr250l becasue they are street legal. The bikes I have suggested have been made for many years and can be found used in your price range, thats why I recomended them.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
+1 on el camino.

"I've looked around a little, and the CRF 230 seems to be the best bet."

Tough to find one on your budget, though, and they are heavy.

"There are a lot of KX250s around for a good price, but I think that may be a little too much bike."

You are correct.

"Also, would a 150 be too underpowered to consider?"

No, but it will seem underpowered if you get serious about dirt biking later. If you buy one used at a good price you will probably be able to resell it for about what you paid in a year or so having learned a whole lot about riding and about exactly what you want in a bike. In a year, you might want a serious MX bike, a serious harescrambles bike, a serious freestyle bike, a trials bike, no telling what kind of bike, or no bike. The 150 will teach you a lot in the meantime and keep you off your butt some compared to bigger bikes.

"From what I've heard, 4-strokes are easier for a beginner to handle"

Maybe. Certainly a 4T play bike is easier to handle than a 2T MXer. However, some 2Ts (KDX 200/220, Yamaha RT 180, Suzuki RMX 250, etc.) would make good trail bikes.

"as well as easier maintenance."

The 4T PLAY bikes are low maintenance. A liquid cooled 4T MX bike or enduro bike is at least as much and, arguably, more maintenance than a 2T. This is hotly debated on the internet. I am of the opinion that a high performance 4T is more trouble than a high performance 2T, but that is mostly because I can do at least some of the 2T stuff myself, and there are parts in a 4T whose names I do not even know.

"Should I consider 2-strokes?"

Absolutely. There are those, myself included, who think that your dirt biking life really is not complete until you have owned, maintained, and loved a 2T.

P0PWAR

Oct 13, 2007
I'd go with a 125 2stroke, 2strokes are great bikes to learn on, and simple to work on. And judging from your size, it seems a 125 would fit you about perfect..

TC21

May 31, 2007
GEORGIA_boy said:
just get a 250 or something cause youll grow out of the 230 after a while and get bored with it.

250 4t or smoke?

a 250 thumper (trail bike) is not enough power.

125 smoker or a 250 race thumper is the right bike.

luckymonkey

Dec 9, 2007
Most before me have valid points. In my opinion is just depends if you are just looking for another hobby, or if you have just found one of the greatest inventions known to man. If you want to learn skill as much as you want to have great fun, I would buy a 125 two stroke. If you can skilfully ride a 125 two stroke you can ride anything. If simple fun is what your into then for your first bike the CRF230 is a very nice choice. Air cooled and utterly bulletproof. A lot of the 250's mentioned are four stroke race machines and they might not be the best idea for a new rider. A 250 two stroke will just put you into a tree with the expense of repair. If you are 23 years of age and want to truly ride the desert and trails with comfort and ease, then a 150 is probably not enough for you. They are great bikes and fun to. Honda even made them big enough for bigger riders to be somewhat comfortable. They just don't have any growing room. There are some great bikes mentioned above like the KDX and more. Where are you wanting to go with it and how comfortable are you with your wallet open? If you want the truth about costs of maintaining a two stroke to a four stroke, you need a new line.

Top Bottom