What should I look for when looking at a bike?

AaronTheory

May 30, 2003
As stated in another thread, I am looking to buy a bike. I basically have the cash in hand, so as soon as a good deal comes up I can snag one. My question here is..

What should I look for when I go out to look at a bike advertised in the classified newspaper ads? I know little to nothing about dirt bikes other than what ive read and can just assume, but im pretty adept with cars (i just sold my 68 camaro). So, what should i do when I first see the bike? What should I make sure to examine or test, mechanically or just visually? I need a step by step walk through of what to do to ensure I am getting a quality bike.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
....good luck.....but what I would recommend is to write down this list and check off each...
1. bars, check if bent
2. steering stem, check if loose
3. forks, check for leaking seals
4. front brakes, check pad and roto wear
5. check tires
6. spokes check for missing or bent
7. gas tank, check for cracks
8. two skoke, pull pipe and lood inside cyln---if possible., check for spooge at gasket.
9. radators, check for bent fins.
10. pegs, make sure not bent.
11. check both tires bearings
12. linkage,swingare bearing, to be sure must disassemble.
13. shock look for leakage
14. check rear brakes for wear
15. take a look at air filter for tears.
anyways good luck with it, I'm sure I missed some stuff to check.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
The above list is a good start. These are some things that i tend to look at for a quick apraisal.

First thing is if the bike is clean, like no dirt on it. If the guy was to lazy to clean the bike, who knows what else he didn't do. Plus, the bike should look it's best for selling, you wouldn't buy a car with McDonalds bags on the pasenger floor.

Second, I have found that the motor is the last thing to go on a bike. Tires, chain, sprockets and brakes tell a better story of what condition the bike is in. You can get a new piston and rings(2-stroke) for ~$130. To get new tires, chain, sprokets, and brakes can be near $300 depending on what you get.

After that, i would go through the list above.

Top Bottom