baldwinc1

May 26, 2007
1) your physical size- 5'8", 175lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Lots of track days on my road bike, fairly aggressive on a quad
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? fields/trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? Street for 8 years, quads 15 years
5) Do you think you will race ? Hare-scrambles maybe in the future
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes to both
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 4 stroke (preferably honda)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? All
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $4,500 tops
10) Do you live in California? Negative.
11) Your age? 29
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion- I've only ridden a dirtbike for 15 minutes or so tops- ever. I am just getting the itch to try out bikes and leave the quad behind. They look like they beat you up a lot less, and they look like a LOT of fun! I'll be learning, but I still want a bike that I'll not get bored with soon.

baldwinc1

May 26, 2007
I forgot to mention in my post that I'm wondering if a 450 would be WAYYYYYYY too much for me (beginning dirtbiker, experienced quad rider/street biker.) Would a 250 four stroke be better suited?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
2 strokes...I don't see that as a good recommendation.

The power delivery and handling is much different from a quad to a dirtbike. A 450 4 stroke engine in a heavier machine (Quad) vs. a 450 4 stroke in a lighter machine (Dirtbike), the quad will have less power do to a greater power vs weight ratio. Therefore if you expect the same power and delivery in a dirtbike as you had in the quad then you're in for a surprise.

LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
250 4stroke will be perfect for you. all the guys i ride with have been riding all their lives and they rather 250s than 450s. you wont get bored on a 250.

Jan 3, 2007
Moose, i figured if he could handle the YZF450 without much problems i figured the YZ450F would be the same. I was ridding a sportsman 500HO and learnd to dirtbike on a 03 Honda CRF450R so i thought the jump for baldwinc1 would not be bad.

baldwinc1, if you are ridding trails more then tracks or not ridding tracks at all the WR450 would be easyer to handle and has electric start. It weighs a bit more then the YZ but thats a give for what you get.

Top Bottom