What the CLYMER manual doesn't mention

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
can really tick me off sometimes...

So I'm repairing this 98 YZ 250 and I notice the clutch is toast. I remove it then order replacements for the bad parts (plates, springs, collar, screws, bearings, push rod, push lever, cable, etc)

At the time I ordered the parts, I decide it's time to pick up a service manual as well, so I order a clymer manual.

I start reaassembling the clutch, reading the manual as I go, and notice that it talks about the two washers that sandwich the basket, sleeve collar and clutch bearings.

These books states:

Oil the clutch washer and put the it on the shaft covering the bearings.

Oil the collar and place it on the shaft. Apply molybdenum grease to the outer section of the collar and install the clutch bearings on it.

Install the clutch basket and mesh it with the kick starter and primary drive gears.

Install the second washer on the shaft

Note: The washers are different sizes. Ensure you used the correct one. Measure them as you remove them. (What?!?!?!?)

Evidently, they are the same size, but different thickness...Now I have a clutch that's been reassembled and I have no clue if it will explode on me when I try to use it...GRRRR

My only option is to disassemble it again, order new washers, and compare the new washers thickness to the thickness of the ones I currently have installed to see which one goes where...

This bites.

If the clymer mentioned which part number goes where, I could at least order one washer and compare it so I know which one goes where...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Sounds like the washer sets the alignment of the primary drive gears between the crankshaft and the clutch basket. Just use the washer that gives the correct alignment, not staggered.

Crzyfrlss1

Apr 5, 2006
Get a real "factory" service manual on e-*** or something.

Way better, and it's shows how to rebuild everything including shocks and forks where the clymers usually say "refer to a professional" :coocoo: :bang:

Either way a factory manual is way btter than everything else you'll find out there. :cool:

Top Bottom