cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Hi, I am going to go buy a new front and rear tire for my cr. I was talking to the guy at the shop and he said he has a couple of bridgestone 610(maybe) tires they are for hard pack and they are 110. He also said that he has a couple of maxxis 120's in stock, they are also for hard pack. Does anyone run 120's on 250 MX bikes? What are the pro's and cons? I want to run a hard pack tire because i want it to last as long as possible. Thanks in advance. :ride: :cool:

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
That's a great question. I just bought a set of Dunlops for my bike. The 742 front and a 756 rear in a 110 is an excellent all-around combo. The textbook answer to your question is that the 110 should allow the bike to drop into corners better than the wider 120. For straight-line acceleration, the 120 should allow better hook-up if it will clear your swingarm and chain. This is the theory, but I would love to hear anyone's practical experience riding a 120.

Tires made for hard-pack conditions are made from a softer rubber compound. The actually wear out faster than an intermediate terrain tire. I've heard the Maxxis intermediate terrain tire is one of the longest lasting tires available.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Word Eddy. I've only seen the 120's mounted on the 450's, but I guess you can run them on the 250 2 strokes too.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
MrLuckey said:
Isn't a hard pack tire going to be a softer compound and therefore provide better traction on hardpack ie a shorter lifespan?
This is true o' wise one.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
MrLuckey said:
Isn't a hard pack tire going to be a softer compound and therefore provide better traction on hardpack ie a shorter lifespan?
I guess the guys that at the shop don't have a clue what they are talking about. I thought the same thing before i talked to him. I ended up going with the 120 because it was only $45 canadian installed compared to the 110 that he was selling for 90 installed. Ahh well I'll probaly end up wearing it out in a month anyway. The funny thing is he said that he was running a 120 maxxis on a hoped up KDX220 and the tire has lasted forever (and he says he rides 2 or 3 times a week).

Top Bottom