91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Well, Its old news that my bike fell off of a trailer last August, and since then I have been watching ebay for new/used parts that come up that I need, since I am 16 and have a moderitly limited budget I cant afford to buy everything brand new. Needless to say I bought a pair of used forks off of Michael (a subscriber to DRN). One Problem though, When I checked to see if the Forks Michael sold me and my old forks were the same I was never able to see the Specs on Kawi.com so I didn't know that there was a difference in the brake caliper mounts on 1993 KX 250 forks (from Michael) and 1994 KX 250 forks (my damaged ones). My question is, What do I do with the Forks? Do I attempt to Fix my damaged ones (1994) if at all possible (Outer Race Tube, Top Cap and some Internals)? Do I sell the 93 Forks on ebay and buy a new pair of forks? Do I keep the 93 forks and buy a 93 Brake Caliper? Another problem is, is that the 93 forks look like crap, (painted blue and chipping) Really scratched up, Need new seals soon, and I have no clue whats inside of them, and the forks are for a race bike so I want them looking/working good. I guess this is more of a personal problem but I really don't know what to do. Any help/Ideas/Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Benjamin

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Since it's winter where you and I live that gives you a little leeway as far as time. Keep checking e bay. I looked yesterday and there were 2 pair of new Ohlins forks (that could be an option) and there was a complete Suzuki frontend for $122, that had a brand new tire, and these were just doing a KX parts search. Don't know if the Suzi parts would work, but for that price I was tempted to bid on them and try to adapt them to the Mighty KDX. :worship:

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Yeah there is a pair of KX 250 Forks on ebay that I am bidding on right know, but I know that they are going to go over $200, which is way over my budget. I really want to stay with the KX front end because it is really nice to have in Midwest Hairscrambles where they include a little MX. And I find it is a really nice setup for the kind of riding I do, 75% Woods 25% MX. I don't race MX but really enjoy jumping my KDX. Winter does buy me some time but I was really hoping to do some Ice riding this year. Maybe next year I guess. Thanks for the help

Ben

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I did a quick search, but came up with nothing, I was also wondering what years the KX 250 Forks changed (size, specs, BRAKE CALIPER MOUNTS). I will try and do a better search when I have more time. Thanks again

Ben

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I was wondering, if anyone knows where I could find the Outer tube of a 94 KX 250, and Top Cap (Brake mount side). I would comnI think what I am going to do is try and fix my old forks, and Sell the 93 forks that I bought, and maybe find another pair. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Ben

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I was wondering, if anyone knows where I could find the Outer tube of a 94 KX 250, and Top Cap (Brake mount side). I would consider even buying a set of Parts Forks, if they dont have anything damaged on them, they can even be missing some parts. All i need is the Outer Tube and the Cap. What I am going to do is try and fix my old forks, and Sell the 93 forks that I bought, and maybe find another pair. I looked on the Kawi web site, and they dont have any part numbers for both of those Item so i take it they dont sell them. So I need a used set. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Ben

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Hey Ben, I can almost remember when I was 16 (funny, I feel the same mentally) and how the budget was real tight on that restaraunt pay. so my advice to you is to contact Jeff Fredette (the KDX Guru) at www.frpoffroad.com and I think he"ll be able to help you. He has a good inventory of used parts for the Kawi's.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Yeah I know Jeff pretty good, although he hasn't been to the family christmas party in a long long time. Jeff is a relative of mine, like 2nd or 3rd Cousin or something. He is the one who got me into riding, I buy my bikes and some parts from him. I guess my dad and Jeff go really far back, they used to go to all the races together when they were little kids and all the way up until my dad happily married my mom and was forced to stop racing. I am getting most of my parts to fix my bike from him, so he isnt completely out of the scheme of things. But when I got an estimate from a dealer for new forks it was $1300 for one fork, and Jeffs estimate was more realistic $400 for a whole front end. But unfortunatly I don't have $400 to buy from him. Thanks for the help, but that wasn't really what I was looking for. Try again.

Ben

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Well, it sounds like you have the most expensive part of the front end. Get w/ Jeff on helping you fill in the blanks--it will be well worth it up upgrade your front susp.

An alternative is to replace your damaged forks with identical used ones. Here's a pair:

Mod Edit - ebay links are not allowed on DRN

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Stupid computer,

Fuzzy,
I am unsure of the ebay auction your talking about, but I looked and the only thing close to 1994 KX 250 Forks is a pair of 91 forks which needs a different front end setup. I emailed jeff to see if he had a set of Parts Forks. I am buying my kill switch, radiator shroud, grips, clutch assembly, clutch cable, maybe a radiator from him. I am going to keep my eyes open for another set of forks on ebay, and am going to sell the 93 forks. I am also going to see if I can fix my damaged forks. If anyone has a set of 1994 KX 250 Forks that are missing some internals let me know because that is what I am looking for!! THanks for the help

Benjamin

Bjammin440@aol.com

Top Bottom