What to loc-tite and what to anti-seize?

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I searched around and could not find a consistent thread on this so I was hoping this could be a good guide for us bikers :aj: What I am asking is, what bolts do we use anti-seize on and what bolts do we use loctite on?

I was wondering about clamp pinch bolts, axle holder/clamp bolts etc..

I know you don't use loctite on bolts like seat bolts ie.Any bolts that are removed frequently.

But lets start a list here, and lets here your opinions :aj:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Good question.

Experience has taught me to use anti-seize on the brake caliper mounting bolts and the screws/bolts that go into those brass inserts on the fuel tanks.

I use "Blue" Loctite on a majority of fasteners, especially those that are removed and installed frequently. This is to prevent them from backing out and/or falling off during a ride/race.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I and most people I know, stay away from loctite and use plenty of anti-seize.

There are certain places that NEED loctite, like certain fasteners in and around the engine. But fasteners that are used to hold on plastic or especially those threaded into aluminum are a no-no.

I'm not much of an MXA fan, but on their website they have a good explanation of loctite and how it works here:
http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/readtopten.asp?id=406
I think it's a good guide for MX riders. I'm sure that other types of riding introduces a different environment and set of needs. Enduro or woods riders may have more reasons to use loctite. Personally, I have never had anything come loose or fall off during a race. Regular maintenance takes care of that. Outside of the engine, I never use loctite.

I anti-seize everything, though. Especially, chain-adjuster bolts, linkage bolts, shroud bolts and seat bolts.

I would not recommend using loctite on any bolts that thread into the triple clamps.

Anyone have ideas different from mine?
Looking forward to see what people have to say.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The torque values for a bolt are for clean dry threads in good condition unless otherwise stated. I only loctite brake rotors, sprockets and certain engine fasteners as my manual states.IMO the brake pedal is a good idea but my bike has a cotter pin as a back up to keep it from coming out. I antisieze pretty much any bolt that goes thru a bearing, swingarm, linkage , axles and steering stem, any bolt that I wont touch for a while like the engine mounts or anything I had trouble removing like exhaust mounts. I use silicone for shrouds and plastic.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom