LoneRider

Apr 8, 2002
I looked at the Yahama site and i have concluded 3 bikes according that i weigh 131lbs, and i am 5'7"

TT-R125L
TT-R225
TT-R250

I need to know what would be best for me and i have been riding a KX80 for almost 2 years.

Any help is appreciated

Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
I would have to agree with Fastguy that you should probably check out the TT-R 225 or 250. Many poeple say the 225 is way underpowered and is slow. Since i own one i would have to say that they are not underpowered i mean becuase how could something underpowered easily bring the front wheel up in 3rd gear? They are not slow either i read in a magazine article where a guy put street bike tires on his and took it out to a drag strip and was clocked going 93mph. He might have had a few other mods on it but i doubt it because of the lack of mods for it. Just guessing i would say a stock one would run around 75mph. The downside to the 225 is the lack of suspension. It's a trail bike though so you shouldn't expect anything to great. I've ramped mine before and i can get about 30 feet without bottoming out landing on a flat surface. As far as the 250 goes i would say it would have a little more power and better suspension and as far as weight goes they are both about the same. Anyways just my 2 cents.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
If you're looking at the TT-R225, look at the XR200R, it's lighter and makes close to the same power. I've heard that the 225 is too heavy for the amount of power that it makes. The XR200R is around 30lbs less, and the XR250R is about 10lbs less than the 225 and makes more power, has better suspension, better brakes, etc.

LoneRider

Apr 8, 2002
Thanks for all the info, especially the info from the guys who own the TT-R's. I was thinking of a XR200R from the start but they are more expensive around here. I think i might kill myself on a 250R, but i will see how much they are around here.

And thanks again.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i have the 125L, im 125 pounds and 5'7" and riding for 5 months now, and already wanting more power. i have done the airbox mods and everything but it is still WAY slower than any 80. (2stroke that is!)
i have only heard bad things about the 225 and 250, mostly the power to weight ratio. i say go XR200 because it is about right for your hight. i dunno about riding them though, cuz i have only ridden the 125.

-Rob

Slack_505

Jan 28, 2001
D) None of the above. THey are all really heavy and sluggish for 4 poppers. I would recomend a wr if you are looking for a bike my family owns all of the ttrs 250
and 125L(MINE!! :aj: )
Go for the wr 250 I think you will be lots happier!
Slack

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Stay away from the TTR-225! It is a heavy (265 lbs), slow (very weak 225), and under-suspended pig of a bike. I can say this with some degree of sincerety since I actually made the mistake of buying one for my wife and I to share back in 2000. Needless to say it has been sold long ago...

In short my answer is really none of the above. The 125 is too small for you and under-powered. The 225 is a piece if junk built from left-over parts-bin stuff from 15 years ago. The TTR-250 is HEAVY (260 + lbs.) and also too tall for your 5'7" frame.

I would get a KDX-200 before any of the bikes you (or anyone else) mentioned. Nice torquey 4-stroke-like power delivery, good suspenders, good for shorter riders, and a great all-around bike. It has the most bang for the buck too IMO. Don't be afraid of the 200 cc 2-stroke engine in the KDX. It is not "explosive" like typical MX 2-strokes. The power is great, but very controllable.

-jeffd

Last edited:

LoneRider

Apr 8, 2002
hey Jeffd, i have ridden a 1990 KDX200 my friend Scott owns. I like it and everything (i know what you mean 4-stroke in a 2-stroke shell), BUT my parents want a quiet bike and the neighbors do to. I even i have the quiestest silencer on my bike (90db) and they are mad. I know the XR250 is heavy, and the WR and YZF are too expensive, but i do like the KDX's a lot. My parents also think it's a good idea to get i bike i can legalize in the future.

I have been looking on cycle trader, and i might look into a light 4 like a YZF, but chances are that the KDX might be the best choice. What about a CRF150??

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Now don't go thinkin' that KDX's are loud just because you rode one that is 12 years old. My buddy has one (2001) and with the stock silencer on it (spark arrestor) it is whisper quiet. Now it can't be made street legal, but that is another issue. If you think that you want a bike that you can make street legal then I'd start looking at XR400's! A small bike (250cc 4stroke or less) can be a scary thing on the road.

The CRF150? It is basically Honda's attempt to capture the TTR-125 market. Don't think for one moment that it is anywhere near a true CR's capabilites...
It has a realtively low seat height and very docile power - made for casual off-roading for the novice/younger riders. I think that after coming off a KX 80 you will be more than dissapointed in the power and capabilities of this bike.

Just my $00.02 worth, and of course, YMMV,
-jeffd

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
I have a 1991 Honda XR250R and it is a AWESOME trail bike, I am about 145 to 150 pounds and about 5'11" tall and the only time I ever notice the XR's weight is when I have to pick it up, I wouldn't get the TT-R225, I hear it not that good of a bike and that Yamaha Throws there worst componets on it. As for the CRF150 it is really like an XR with CR Plastic. The XR250R has plenty of power for me in the trails and can putt around all day or I can go really fast, Its happy with either I do. They are dead realiable also. You said you might kill yourself on an XR250R, Trust me this thing has Smooth power all the way across the RPM range. Just take it easy until you get used to it over the KX you had. Good Luck Matt

nobby bobby

May 1, 2002
Alright here is a question about the ttr 225. Is there a way to strip it down so there is less weight. Using a performance exhaust and other
minor mods might give this bike a fair shot at being ballsy.
How much excess weight can be removed successfully from this bike.
I am curious cause I know someone who is selling one for 700 bucks.
I would like to get your feedback on this. I am already thinking about
the possibilities of using a light weight moto X front end on it and changing the shocks and springs. Is it worth it ??

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by nobby bobby
Alright here is a question about the ttr 225. Is there a way to strip it down so there is less weight. Using a performance exhaust and other
minor mods might give this bike a fair shot at being ballsy.
How much excess weight can be removed successfully from this bike.
I am curious cause I know someone who is selling one for 700 bucks.
I would like to get your feedback on this. I am already thinking about
the possibilities of using a light weight moto X front end on it and changing the shocks and springs. Is it worth it ??

In short - no.

The motor is heavy as is the frame and major components on it.

By the time you trick out a ttr-225 you could buy a real bike with real suspension and power to boot.

-jeffd

Hondaman_06

Nov 8, 2001
I would say it is worth you could probably strip some weight off. I would had to agree with XR400man that Yamaha puts some crappy parts on it. You'll proabbly have to check out the grease fitting and the plastic both are very crappy on the 225. I like the bike but it's crappy parts are about to drive my nuts. You'll proabbly have to put out a little cash to get evrything on it to be good.

LoneRider

Apr 8, 2002
Well if i do get a bike like an XR200R lets say, hypothetically, what would the re-sale be, i know i will out grow a 200 fast, but i was just wondering the re-sale value on it.

dirtcrazzy

May 5, 2002
well this is what i think

The kx 80 is bigger then the ttr 125l and not much smaller then the 225, and the 250 is to clunky and has no kicker its a weird bike if i were you i would go with a wr 250 or an xr 250 my opionion

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
LoneRider,

I have to agree with jeffd here - A KDX200 is a great bike for someone your size and abilities. If you are looking at a ttr you are most likely looking at woods riding. We looked at a ttr225 for my wife and OMG the things just seemed so heavy. She ended up with a ttr125L but she is only 5'4".

The great thing about the KDX200 (i may be biased as i do own one). is that the bike is stealthy quit in its stock form. With very few modifications it can really rip. As with any bike you will either outgrow it or modify it as your riding improves. I have had the suspension redone on my KDX200 (as is the norm) and have also had the engine overbored to 225cc and ported by EG and carb modified by RB-Designs. I weigh 190#. My KDX225 pulls like a tractor down low (not too different thatn a 4-stroke) and revs out real nice as expected with a 2S. :cool:

Good luck in your bike search. :)

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
skip the xr200

Just jump to the XR250 if you are considering the XR200. From my understanding the XR250 has much better parts and is a much better bike than the XR200. They are in the same model line (the XR line obviously) but it isn't a case of the same bike with a different motor.....correct my if I am wrong here. XR100 and XR200 fit in 1 category, the XR250 and XR400 are another, and the XR650 is the third group.

As mentioned before the XR250 is smooth, you won't kill yourself and it really isn't that heavy. I taught my friend, he is around 5'8" and 150 pounds, to ride on my XR250 and he had no problems with it...well no major problems, and he got quite good at picking it up off the ground ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom