What's happening with off-road 2-strokes?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I've got a KDX200 and I'm thinking about moving up. I would love a 4-stroke's power delivery but I'm scared to death of their maintenance costs...therefore, I want to stay with a 2-smoke.

I mostly trail ride but I like an MX track when I can get to one...I'm aiming at an 'off-road' bike vs a MX bike. I started surfing manufacturer's websites today, and to my amazement, the only companies that make 2 stroke 'off-road' bikes are KTM (EXC, MXC) and Kawasaki (KDX). It seems that the only thing you can do with the other companies is modify their MX bikes or go with a 4-stroke.

Are manufacturers moving this way because the power delivery of 4-strokes lends themselves to woods riding, or are they just tweaking their existing 4-stroke MX bikes and calling them something else (i.e. CRF450F to CRF450X) to make their lives easier?

JesteTac

Oct 8, 2004
Everyone is trying to phase out two smoke vehicles in general. Something about the environment. The really stupid thing is that vehicles account for a really small portion of environmental pollution--the ocean emits more hydrocarbons than vehicles ever will, and every time a vehicle is launched into space (shuttle, sattelite) it rips a huge hole in the ozone.

Pretty lame, huh. Commifornia is heading up this trend.

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
Well...just in the few short months where I ride It went to mainly 4 stroke bikes to mostly 2 smoke bikes.... don't know what happened but Im not complaining about it... I ride a 04 yz250 and it's nice to see the same croud of bikes I rode with 10 years ago.. 2 smoke!

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Their was a guy here selling a 2000 KX 125 with a KDX 220 motor in it... That would be perfect for what you want... Of course it's a strange one of a kind hybrid thing that I bet sold very fast... I think your questions are excellent but I don't have any answers...

I like the Commifornia coment also... I did'nt know the ocean emmits hydrocarbons, I'll have to look that up, intresting...

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
it's just a re classifaction of the 2 stroke models right now the impact is min basically your KDX 200 won't be sold with a spark arrestor anymore it will have to be sold as a closed course bike like say a KX is. Here in WA it just really mean much cause you still have to title your bike so you'll still get the proper orv license you'll just have to buy a legal spark arrestor for it. I'm glad to see 2 strokes coming back also :)

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
As far as non-KDX Jap bikes go you're looking at doing a conversion. GasGas, Husky, TM, and ATK(USA) all make excellent 2-stroke enduro bikes....

L

LukeRips

4-strokes still haven't taken over the off-road world like they were supposed to. Largely due to their weight. There hasn't been a 4-stroke on the podium of a GNCC( except for Mike Lafferty 2 years ago) and the 2-stroke still rules the WORCS series as well. As a matter of fact, both Randy Hawkins and Mike Lafferty switched back to 2-strokes last year. Yamaha has all but made it stupid to go 4-stroke in the woods with the 2005 YZ line being so light but so powerful.

Top Bottom