CumminsRacer

Jan 7, 2006
Ya'll helped me out a few days ago when I said my bike all the sudden didnt sound right. Well, I took it to the dealer today and the mechanic said it sounded like it threw a rod. So, it was going to be $500-700 to have them fix it, thats almost more than the bike is worth (93' yz 250). So how much would the parts be roughly to do this myself with a friend who is a great mechanic? Or am I better off to sell it as is for cheap and get a newer bike? Thanks for any advice.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Well, you need a complete gasket kit, rod kit, set of main bearings, and you might as well put in a fresh top end as well. So price those parts out and that is going to be the minimum parts cost.

Once you get the crank out, you will want to send it to a machine shop for the rebuild, unless you have the tools and experience to disassemble, reassemble and balance the crank. This is a job you normally pay someone else to do because of the precision required, and expensive tools required to do it right.

Then there is any tools you may have to pick up, such as flywheel pullers and case splitters, if you don't already have those, or access to them.

There is also the incidentals, like if your cylinder is worn and needs replating/replacement, or if any of the clutch, transmission, waterpump and other parts look to be in need of replacement.

Best case scenario, probably $300-500 in parts and the crank rebuild. Possibly more if there are other problems. Assuming the bike is in decent shape, it is most likely worth fixing it and knowing what you have got, versus selling it off and buying an unknown bike that could be someone elses headache. It can be a tough choice to fix your old bike, or put the money towards something else and part out the old one for cash.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
you might consider parting it on ****, or selling it as it to someone as a project bike. Depends on how bad you want to mess around with fixing it, but then selling can be a hassle as well. Around here, you can find '03-ish 250 2 strokes in primo condition for 2500 all day long, and under 2000 if you are patient. Bikes have come a long ways since 93, I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
About 110.00 for the rod kit, and then while you are split apart, then replace the suport bearings and seals, gasket set, and bearings, I would say another 100.00, then if they pull the motor out of your bike,and do all the work, you are looking at about 6.0hrs in labor, plus the crank rebuild, 75.00 to 80.00 so if there shop rate is say 65.00 to 80.00 per hr.
That will probably be a close est.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
WillyM said:
Seems like it may be cheaper to buy a new crank.

Bike Bandit lists a new crank as $327, a rod kit is $90. Having the crank done shouldn't be much more than $100 labour, so it is less expensive to rebuild the crank than buy new.

Top Bottom