Yz 250 troubles out of the blue..?

fordfx584

Oct 1, 2007
Hey guys i'll try to make this short.Well i went out a week ago and took a nasty spill on my 2001 yz250 bending th pipe pretty good.Well i ordered another Pro circuit pipe and put it on this morning.Well was rididng this am and noticed an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head.Then i relized i was supposed to use the old little rubber ring seals from the old one.Soi fixed that then went out riding for a good while and it ran awesome.Then i went to make a turn and go on a straight away and it started running like crap.To explain it it is breaking up in every gear right before the powerband kicks in and the exhaust sounds louder?I thought it might have been the spark plug i put in this morning(autolite)only because napa didnt have my normal NGK..The guy said it was the same just diffrent brand?So i came back home after it started acting up and threw in my old plug which was still descent and it didn't help?I was trying to troubleshoot and i found that with the bike running i had the coolant cap off and went to put it on and was getting a slight shockrom touching the radiator?Could this have any thing to do with my issue?To help i put in my normal 93 octane mixed woith 8 ounces of 2 stroke oil to 2 gallons of gas..Any help would be great!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am really guessing at what a shockrom is? You could have a wire grounding for what ever reason. Check all your electrical wires and connections. How old is the silencer packing? Have you ever replaced the float valve?

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
as far as the o ring your supposta use a new one the old one is warped to your old pipe and exsaust port. Their pretty cheap and also you should rejet when you change pipes like that. pro curcuit should have the new requirements for your bikes jetting

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds electrical to me. Check the wiring carefully and look for damage where any of the wires come close to the frame.

fordfx584

Oct 1, 2007
Well to clear things up a tad the pipe i got was the exact same pro circuit that was on it previously.I was told that the reeds could have gone bad?Does my issue sound like the reeds?Also could the packing in the silencer going bad cause a problem so suddenly?

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
reeds could be an option pull the carbs and reed block out check the pedals to make sure their not chipped and that they lie down tight against the block. As far as packing it only costs like 7 bucks to replace anyways but besides a louder exsaust not I dont think it will make it run that that bad.. I usually keep my silencers on

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i bet you its electrical. that doenst make sense as to why you would normally be getting a shock form the radiator. when you do certain things you probably hit an exposed wire. the insulation probably wore out. im going through my apprenticship as an electrician. weird stuff like this does happen its very likey soemthing just rubbing up againt the wire and over a period of time just wore out. even though its not all the time. it could just be a small spot. when you took the spill maybe that did it in. check very very close. take things off that are in your way and look closely and bend the wire to see if you can see any cracks. even if its a crack in the wire it could be arching.

what about where your pipe meets your silencer? did you check that out?

fordfx584

Oct 1, 2007
***FIXED***
Well i figured i would pull the tank off an try and find where the shock that i was getting from touching radiator was coming from.So i pulled it off and found a wire a exposed wire making contact with the right radiator.So i cleaned every thing up under there, taped the wire up installed the tank and Bam im back!!Thanks everyone for the help!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom