Dirtywheel

Mar 23, 2004
Hello all!

I am new so go easy on me. I have an opportunity to purchase an 84 XL200 and was wondering what you guy or gals may think its worth. I am going to look at it tomorrow and will try to take some pictures to post. But, before that the gentlemen selling the bike says it has never been down and will start on the first kick. If it would happen to be in perfect shape would is your opinion as to what the $ could be?

Thanks in advance.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Maybe $800, go to www.recycler.com and search for that bike under motorcycles and see what people are asking. There's some other cycle online sales that you can check too but I forgot the links.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
ehhhh. I think $800 is a bit steep for a 200.
Especially an XL.
Dont get me wrong, i love XL's, but they're not quite as dirt worthy as XR's.
The XL200 was only made for a year or 2, so its a fairly rare find. Not really collectable though.
I'd say more like $500.
Which is about what i paid for my XL500r........about 10 years ago.

Dirtywheel

Mar 23, 2004

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kelly Blue Book has trade-in and retail prices on used motorcycles. www.kbb.com

For an '84 XL200 they show the trade-in value in good condition as $470. The retail price from a dealer is $825.

Note: these are NOT private party prices. IMO, the private party price should be somwhere between these two extremes. If the bike is truly in perfect shape, probably closer to the 'retail' price. If average but a good runner, maybe $500.

Dirtywheel

Mar 23, 2004
Ok here is the link to the photos on Webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/album/128242405pesLcg

The only things I could see that are wrong are:

1. The headlight does not work, the owner said it was just a burnt out lamp and he never replaced.

2. The rear turn signals have been taped up, the owner said that the plastic tubing started to age and break.

3. Small dent in the exaust.

4. It has 8400 miles on it, not bad for an 84 i guess

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
That is in excellent condition for a 20 year old bike. Certainly worth a premium over a typical '84 XL200.

I think it would be a good beginner's bike, but... what are you planning on using it for? Basically, there is a tiny market for small displacement street legal bikes (not freeway capable, can't haul two people safely). For the $700-$800 that bike might sell for, you could get a fair to average '89 or '90 KDX200 or a good '86-'88 KDX200 that would eat the XL for breakfast on the trail.

KAWA200'sRule

Mar 15, 2004
I bought my '85 KDX 200 off of ebaymotors.com for $650. It says on kbb.com its worth about $805 so i think I got a good deal plus its in good cosmetic condition but its in near perfect mechanical condition I love it. I'm not sure if it's a good beginner bike though it does have power. If you have no experience get the XL but if have some experience go for a KDX 200 or even a 175.

Top Bottom