What's more fun, street riding or dirt riding?

RyansDad

Aug 4, 2007
I'm New here and I've been riding nothing but street bikes to date. (Unless you count my lawnmower engine mini bike eons ago).
I've been cut off and wrecked twice.
If I fall again, I want it to be in the woods, or in the field riding with my son who at 8, now wants to learn to race. I'm actually thinking of selling/trading street bike to get a pure off road to ride with my son.

DON'T get me wrong, The street is an INCREDIBLE adventure. I've just been burnt more than I'd like. At least with dirt, I don't need registration and insurance bills to go with the fun.

My 2cents for whatever it's worth.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I got back on the street last week for the 1st time in 32 years and doing it on a Harley this time. I must admit that I don't get a rush on the street like I do on the dirt, simply because it's insaine to twist the throttle on the street like you can on the dirt. Too many idiots out there and road and conditions are too unpredictable with the minimal suspension on my Harley. That said, I beleive that a dual sport would not be the way to go for me because my luck I would trash a dual sport miles from home and have to walk back. I prefer the best of both worlds and own both a street & dirt bike.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
You convinced me Terry. :cool:

For those unfamiliar with Dave Smith here's an article from 1973 written by Cook Neilson that mentions him in the same breath as Ron Pierce, Kel Carruthers and Kenny Roberts.
http://www.tz350.net/cook_neilson.htm
:

Glad to be of service Rich. :cool: If my story convinced just one of you to go riding, my work is done here. :nod:

Great article. It really explains what it's like to ride one of those bikes. They were awesome but it was like removing your throttle and installing a toggle switch instead. :yikes: And yes, that's the same Dave Smith. Smitty could have been one of the all time greats had it not been for his bad crashes.

Have a good ride. :ride:

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
No speed limit on the dirt if you're seeking that thrill. Both dirt and street are fun, yet both have their drawbacks. Of course both are dangerous, but so is driving a car.

kabob983

Aug 2, 2007
They're totally different beasts. Street riding is about being fluid, dirt riding is more...sporadic.

As stated, (imho) dirt riding is just safer. Buddy of mine got hit by a soccer mom (who was in his lane no less) driving her SUV, talking on her cell phone, and yelling at her kid in the back seat. Lost an arm...

Trees and rocks won't be in your lane. If you get hurt 99.9% of the time it's something stupid you did. If you get hurt on the street sure, you mighta done it, but there's a good chance it was someone else's stupidity that you'll be paying for as well.

I'm looking to give up the street and just stick to the track, and then get a dirt bike. Best of both worlds :)

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Thanks to everyone who posted. This is great feedback.

I'm reminded of an accident I witnessed a few years ago. A guy on a Harley almost got killed when a drunk driver pulled out in front of him in his minivan. The guy on the Harley went from 60 to 0 instantly. I'll never forget trying to hold him down (he was in shock) until the medivac helicopter arrived. His foot was dangling off of his leg on the gurney due to a compound fracture, and he had massive internal injuries. He wasn't doing anything wrong, but he still nearly died because of someone else's stupidity.

I've got a wife and three kids. I know you can get hurt or killed doing anything, but I can't risk it. I'll think I'll stick to the dirt for now.

kabob983

Aug 2, 2007
My buddy wasn't doing anything wrong either. He was in his lane going the speed limit, the impact from the SUV shot his shoulder blade out of his back, they had to amputate to save his life.

Don't get me wrong, I love the street (especially the track), but the biggest reason I'm getting into dirt riding is so I can get my bike fix without all the crazies.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
That's the thing...I've heard so many stories of street riders permanently scarred, maimed, or killed through no fault of their own. Track days sound like fun, but commuting on two wheels? Not until drivers pay more attention to their surroundings.

Top Bottom