smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
i have a 91 yz250 and i run KLOTZ Super TechniPlate, it has 20% Racing castor oil and 80%TechniPlate Synthetic Lubricant , is this a good blend with 93oct gas, and im fixing to do a topend rebuild and should i run the same blend as i do for riding or somthing els for the brake in? ? and i run a ratio of 50:1 is that a good ratio for a yz 250?

any in put would really help!

:worship:

Last edited:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
IMHO the best oil is Mobile MX2T which is a true synthetic and can be found at your local autozone (no need to drive all the way to the shop) and sells for about $3.42.

I would stick with a 32:1 ratio....

bobit490

Jan 24, 2005
AGAIN, the ratio is dictated by the maker of the oil! always run it at what they recommend for thier particular oil. you run oil that's bended for 50:1 at 32:1 you run into problems.

Mike_socal

Oct 1, 2003
bobit490 said:
AGAIN, the ratio is dictated by the maker of the oil! always run it at what they recommend for thier particular oil. you run oil that's bended for 50:1 at 32:1 you run into problems.

What problems would that be?

john3_16

May 17, 2004
bobit490 said:

Actually the ratio of oil/gas that should be used is that which is suggested by the manufacturer of the motorcycle. I would use what's in your manual as a starting point.

smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
what octane to use??

i have a 91 yz 250 and run 93 octane. is that a good octane to run in my bike? and whats the best pre mix??? :)

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
That should be good enough octane if your bike is stock. There are tons of good oils on the market to use. I'd pick a good synthetic. I use Castrol TTS myself.

smbikes1867

Jan 23, 2005
i use KLOTZ Super TechniPlate , it has 20% BeNol racing castor oil. and 80%TechniPlate Synthetic Lubricant, is it any good ? I am going riding tomarrow and would like to know soon :cool:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
spectro is good if you use the semi or full synthetic kind, But I have been using castrol actevowhich is semi synthetic. bel-ray makes good quality oils too.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I like the Mobil MX2T as well...it doesn't smoke much, and running 40:1 is easy...just dump the entire pint into 5 gallons of gas.

I'd say exercise caution re: oil manufacturers' recommendations, since they're not going to pay to fix your engine. I'm running some Amsoil Saber at the moment (I won it) that recommends 80-100:1...no way I'm going to take that risk!

Robin13

Nov 21, 2004
I have always run 1:40 Castrol tts. It's fully syntethic and it doesn't seem clog up my powervalve too bad at all. No spooge either.

Last edited:

Cache

Feb 14, 2005
Howdy. Just bought a 05 KX100 for my son. I noticed in the manual that is suggests using the gas/oil mixture up fast as the gasoline will effect the lubrication properties over time. This is something I never thought of. I usually mix up a batch and use it in my chainsaw and weed eater throughout the year.

Any thoughts this? Would synthetic oil be effected by this as well?

Thanks. Cache

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Synthetic oils are what I would recomend. I am a woods rider and used to run a castor (bean oil). Because I'm never running too much RPM, it used to gum-up the powervalve BAD!!! You also have to watch out for a castor oil in cold weather...it can seperate from fuel at temperatures below about +40F. Have good luck with Silcolene synthetic at 50:1, in my 250. But I don't go higher than 40:1 on my son's 125.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Klotz super techniplate is some damn good stuff. That's what I have/will always use. I think that someone on this board did a scientific test of various two-stroke oils, and I believe that the Klots Super Techniplate showed the best film strength and lubricative properties for our purpose. Anyways, it smells so good, who cares if it works. I would use somewhere around 32-40:1. Whatever you pick, stick with it and dont change the ratio, or you will never get the bike jetted right.

BDAY

Feb 16, 2005
I use Klotz in all my 2-strokes. I think it is a great oil. i never have any trouble with the sleds i run it in. I would go by the bike's manufacturers ratio.

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
The manufacturers reccomended ratios are taking into consideration that you are using an all purpose premix. If you are using a better oil, running what the oil manufacturer reccomends is safe. However, more oil = more compression = more power, and you are always safer using more oil.

I personally run Golden Spectro semi-synthetic at 50:1, and have for years with no problems. I mix at that ratio mainly because it's convenient. 1 12oz bottle to 5 gallons. I also have no reason to change because it works well for me at that ratio.

Top Bottom