Hart89

Sep 30, 2005
Hey i just got given an IT400 '76! :cool: I dont no what type of condition its in because i didnt have time to try and start it and i havnt been able to ship it back home yet. I just have some question about the bike i hope someone can answer. First, does it have the same characteristics as what the YZ490 engine was renouned for? (detonation and hard to start) or was it just the 490 engine? Second, whats the general ergos of the bike like?? Obviously no 250f! But is the handling at least reasonable? How does the rear monoshock and the front forks complement each other? and is it true that the bike drinks fuel by the gallon ever half an hour? :uh:

Thanks for any advice or information you can give me.
Daniel

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I can't comment on the 76 IT400 but, I owned a 77 YZ400 and it was an excellent bike. It was a little heavy feeling but it did everything right and it fit my 6 foot frame perfectly. The engine, even when it was snowing outside, still only took a few kicks and ran better than an old Swiss watch. Be ready to do a rebuild on the engine, service all the bearings, replace the fork seals, and don't cheap out on anything. If you do that, you'll always be happy.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I've got a '77 IT400, which is the same bike. It's a brute, but a well mannered brute. I prefer a quicker throttle than the stock one, but otherwise I'd ride it out of the box. It's kind of heavy, but has plenty of power to move the weight. In my mind anyway, it's a pretty bike too with the blue and yellow and black. All of my other bikes might end up on the block, but the IT will get a choice stall in the paddock no matter what. My relationship might be irrational, but love usually is.

Hart89

Sep 30, 2005
Hey thanks for the replies. haha nah colorado im sure ill get used to it once i get it. Still have to find away of transporting it 6 hours from my uncle shed. :bang:

Top Bottom