whats the next step to hop up my kdx 200?

Sep 15, 2004
I now have an '05 kdx 200.I installed a renthal o-ring chain and an fmf gnarlypipe with a turbine core 2 silencer.I also removed the snorkel from the air box lid, and bought a good air filter.Whats the next step without draing my wallet?

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Jets are about $2.50 a piece so it is by far the most bang for the buck. Aftermarket reeds help too, I would buy the Delta Force II's or the new III's that include the cage and reeds at around $160 from www.rockmountainmc.com . But just getting aftermarket reeds will provide a little extra snap.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I'd say respring the front end i have xr 400 springs in mine and love them. It makes a big difference over the stock setup. After that mabye a DFII, porting, or RB carb mod.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
All good advice. Proper jetting and a suspension that is set up for your weight and riding style will increase your ownership enjoyment.

Here's a free one....set the sag in the rear spring.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
You absolutely need to jet your bike. This should be the next thing you do. You will find TONS of jetting info on this site because it is something that every KDX owner has to do. And don't even think about asking "What jetting should I use?" because you will open up Pandora's Box!

Next, I recommend you connect that power to the ground by properly setting up your suspension.

Then, consider toys like the RB carb mod, steering stabilizer, auto clutch...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Jetting, good suspension and steering damper. The last two won't help you in a drag race on a smooth road, but they will make the bike much better everywhere else.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
1. Jetting - Biggest Bang for Buck

2. Suspension Revalve - Will improve your speed more than any other mod.

3. Get tires that match your riding conditions.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
It depends on what you want out of the bike. 225 probably wouldn't be needed or even used riding tight trails. If you have a lot of open spaces and like to fly... it would. Plus you never know if when you get it back, you may have to start using race gas. I know of some who had to start using it even when they were told they wouldn't have too. This starts getting into the question of... Did I get the bike I needed or should I have bought something else.

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
rethnal has a point,...if you go punch out a 200 to a 225 or 240. You may just want to get a 250 or..........an orange 200 kinda like dropping a small block in a YUGO ????

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks guys . Ithink I will get new fork springs next.What kind of a difference should I expect?I beleive the stock springs are .35 and I think I will go to .38or .40 I am not sure yet.Feed back is very welcome!!!

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Consider getting forks revalved as well as correct springs; while more expensive, I believe the difference to be huge. I've had great experiences with MX Tech.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
The 2005 models just hit the floor, Leave it alone and keep the 6 month warranty that came with it. I was glad I waited to work on my 04 when the head gasket let go after 5 months. Kawasaki fixed it, THEN I went crazy and added everything I could find. Just a suggestion.

Sep 15, 2004
thanks Jason I think I will go with the 40,s.I like to jump!!! I hear everyone talking about xr 400 springs , where can I get them? Or should I buy race tech springs? Or FRP springs????

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom