Whats the point buying a two stroke anymore?

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
Well it's good to see you know how to use Google. So "splain" this to me Lucy, what does that have to do with the point you were trying to make?
Yesterday you were speaking of forum fairness, today you can't wait to try and catch me in something. I didn't need Google to know what stoichemetry (not stoichiometry) is as it's used in this industry. Some won't notice the subtle difference in spelling and think you rightly caught me with my pants down. Nice try. I also don't appreciate the obvious reference to my Cuban heritage. Was that supposed to be a slur?

The main point is that with a race bike so finely tuned to achieve perfect stoichemetry, hard hot restarts are a lot more likely, particularly when noticeable changes in ambient air temp or barometric pressure occur during the race. The secondary point is that TV announcers make more of an issue about hot restarts than what is experienced by the average rider.

Did I pass your test? :whoa:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
RADRick said:
Yesterday you were speaking of forum fairness, today you can't wait to try and catch me in something.

You took a shot at Motometal accusing him of not understanding the basis of a statement he made and I'm just following in the same line of discussion, hopefully with the same condescending tone you used.;)

RADRick said:
I didn't need Google to know what stoichemetry (not stoichiometry) is. Some won't notice the subtle difference in spelling and think you rightly caught me with my pants down. Nice try.

RADRick said:
As used, stoichemetry refers to the ratio of fuel to air for proper combustion in an ICE.

The correct term in combustion chemistry, is stoichiometry, most often referred to as the stoichiometric ratio, or the chemically correct ratio between air and a specific fuel. Obviously the chemically correct ratio will vary based on the fuel's make up.

Honestly I've never seen the word stoichemetry used in any automotive engineering paper or text, I've never seen it in thermal fluid engineering texts, or thermochemical enginering texts. That said, I'm sure there are tons of words I've never heard of given my lack of formal education. Common usage in engineering circles is stoichiometry. ;)

Spelling and usage differences aside I think we can agree on the point you were trying to make with the word:

the exact amount of fuel for the available air to achieve complete combustion.

I also don't appreciate the obvious reference to my Cuban heritage. Was that supposed to be a slur?

I didn't know you were Cuban, and never gave it a minutes thought.

I think Ricky Riccardo is funny when he says that and I say it to people all the time when they same something that I think is silly or misguided. If it offended you I can say with all sincerity that it was unintentional. Anyone who knows me or has read my posts over the years can verify that kind of crap just isn't my style.

The main point is that with a race bike so finely tuned to achieve perfect stoichemetry, hard hot restarts are a lot more likely, particularly when changes in ambient air temp or barometric pressure occur during the race.

DING DING DING, that's where you are completely full of #@*% . (that WAS intended to offend ;) )

Four-stroke race engines make best power in the .82 -.87 Lambda range, or something in the neighborhood of 12-13:1 air fuel ratio. Even at part throttle and light loads (low manifold pressure) you rarely see the air fuel ratios above 13.6 or so with a carb and 13.9 is a common lean upper limit with EFI on a street/race type engine. So even plunking through the pits you are running well to the rich side of chemically correct.

Chemically correct ratios in the 14.2 -14.7 air fuel ratio range (depending on fuel makeup) , make nice numbers on an exhaust gas analyzer, and show good thermal efficiency numbers which translate into good gas mileage but you are unlikely to ever encounter stoichiometry in a properly tuned race engine. Even in your computer controlled street car you will usually only see part of the time. Usually at light loads like in highway cruising or steady state partial throttle running. The air/fuel numbers at WOT are often times as rich as 10-11:1.

I don't expect you to take my word for it, so if you'd like to see real world lambda numbers I've pulled from my race engines using data acquisition systems and O2 sensors I'll be happy to share.

Hard starting during the course of a RACE has far more to do with anxiety, bad technique due to anxiety (throttle pumping, short stabbing the kickstarter, not using the hot start lever etc), and after a crash fuel puddling in the port takes time to clear. It's not really specific to the specific output of the engine or the tuning.

Race fuels designed for high rpm four-strokes tend to have narrow range low temp distillation curves. While this is great for throttle response and power at 13,000 rpm, it makes an engine intolerant of raw fuel puddling in the intake tract from a crash, or a rider accidently pumping the throttle during a hot restart.

This is true on stock CRF250s as well as 65 horsepower big bores. All my highly tuned race engines are 1-2 kick starters hot or cold in the pits or anywhere else when you take your time and don't rush. The problem is most never take the time (and I include myself even though I certainly know better) , and they hurry to not lose a position on the track and just end up prolonging the agony.

Riders on two-strokes do the same stupid things, the difference is most 2-T engines are just more tolerant of our doofus behavior due to their basic design and lack of an accelerator pump in the carb.

Four-stroke engines even when highly modified aren't so sensitive as to be influenced by small changes in air density or temperature. If an engine DOES get the bends everytime the air temp changes 5 degrees, it's a sure bet someone screwed up the cam timing in some horrific way at TDC and totally compromised the scavening.

There is a name for engines like this S L O W . Front runners in pro races aren't likely to be saddled with half-assed designs like this. Density altitude (DA) numbers have to change fairly significantly before starting is affected, and thats ONLY if the tuning isn't changed to compensate for it. No tuner worth the name gets surprised by huge DA swings to the point that his bike won't start.

The secondary point is that TV announcers make more of an issue about it than what is experienced by the average rider.

On that point we agree, generic TV commentators tend to be pretty clueless.

Did I pass your test? :whoa:

It's not a test and I really couldn't care less if you know the difference between a fuel's stoichiometric ratio and best power lambda ratios that are actually present in race engines.

The point is you want fair treatment and yet you go and take a shot at a member, essentially calling him a TV parrot, and then hack the guts out of a concept you clearly have little understanding of to try and prop up your wobbly point.

Make your point without the BS and no one will chime in. Float up that weak ass pseudo science BS and someone will call you out everytime. There are lots of DRN members way smarter than me, so you should be glad none of them decided to rip you a new one. :p

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:rotfl:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Whatever you say, Rich. For the record, I didn't "take a shot" at Motometal, I responded to his response to me. Once again, your double-standard mentality rears its ugly head. You automatically see condescencion where there is none just because it's me. He questioned my reply, I questioned his back. It was nothing more. No sinister intent, I promise.

As for my understanding of stoichemetry, it is what it is. Yes, 14.7:1 is the ideal ratio on paper for pump gas at sea level, but it is not perfect in absolute, as you pointed out. The heat generated at that ratio can cause pinging under load as well as other performance problems. In high performance circles somewhere between 12 to 13.5:1 is considered ideal. I never said that stoichemetry was the only cause of hard starting, just that the narrow jetting of a pro race bike contributes more to the problem than the wide latitude jetting most average bikes use. Had I known I needed to provide a treatise on this, I would have prepared better. Glad you filled in the gaps for readers.

I find it interesting that you didn't hesitate but minutes to jump in my **** about this, but Motometal's comments about 4Ts languished for days without comment. Particularly the one about a 4T being more prone to stalling, which wasn't even germain to my post. So much for your being an objective, impartial observer, I guess. Perhaps you can expand on why a 4T, a bike with an idle circuit in its carb, is more prone to stalling than a 2T, a bike with no such circuit? Is it the compression braking? Valvetrain resistance? Rider error?

Last edited:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
everybody is out to get you......after a while maybe a thought would occur that youre causing it.

my boss is the same way, he doesnt understand why he recieves big macs covered with salt, cold fries, and booby trapped coffee lids everywhere he goes :think:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
Note to self: decline any offers of a meal from Ellandoh. :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Could you be MORE of a poser out here? You clearly screwed the pooch with your half-baked nonsense theory, tried to impress us with a BIG word and now you are going to stomp your feet and hope to make ME look like an ass for calling you on it.

I've got news for you genius, I AM AN ASS, and everyone here already knows it, so you're a little late to that party. ;)

While I may be an ass, what I'm NOT is some hump who tries to blow smoke up people's butts with weak arguments and bull**** science.

RADRick said:
Particularly the one about a 4T being more prone to stalling. So much for your being an objective, impartial observer, I guess.

I must have missed the part where I claimed to be objective or impartial. :coocoo:

Modern four-strokes with minimal flywheel mass ARE more prone to stalling than bikes were in the past. While I certainly don't agree with a lot of what Motometal says in 2T vs 4T discussions he is right on this point.

Dealing with you is clearly a waste of ASCII. I won't burn any more it wasting your time and mine responding to your posts in the future. I'm sure all will be happier that way. Say whatever you like, I no longer give a damn. If people haven't figured you out by now it's their own problem.

One more name to add to the ignore list/

As long as this thread is completely off topic now :

For anyone who still gives a damn about fuel curves and how they relate to load and rpm, here's the map from an EFI small block Dodge I'm working with. This is really early in the setup process and is just a starting point based on a similar combination from someone else but hopefully it gives you some idea what we are talking about. The air fuel numbers with a carb will often times be a bit lower across the board because carbs don't always play as nice as we would like them to, but it varies so much it's hard to have a specific rule of thumb that works all the time. I guess that's why we jet, then test then jet some more. :)

Attachments

• AFR_test_calb_Dodge.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
:rotfl:

He'll shrug it off as yet another unknower of big words having envy for his vast search engine based knowledge.

The interesting part is I've got a little twit that seems to have the same problem as your boss. I'm sure there is more than just salt being added to what all three of them eat and drink. My compliments to the chefs! :laugh:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Okiewan said:
Contrary to popular belief, one of my favorite bikes was my 99 KX 250. I wish I still had it.
Me too! LOL!
Rich, I still don't know what you were putting in the tanks of bikes at DW01 in Casey. Did it come from a Mason Jar imported from a southern state, maybe, Hazard County, GA?

Last edited:

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Good question!

dcal said:
does any one remember the original ?

The mods here seem to be a bit heavy handed at times, and often hijack or delete threads at will. But I'd better not say any more. KWIM? My bad.

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
I like most of the threads with RADRick in it, they get intense. They also get interesting because the arguments/debates are on things I don't know.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Whatever floats your boat...

...but hijacking and getting totally off topic seems to be at the mods discretion...and only the mods discretion. (including slams) Which is really lame IMHO. (From what I've seen here, they delete anything they deem insulting to them.)

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
FYI my bike does not smoke

AND I hear 4 strokes loudly from at LEAST 1 mile away or more!

I can hear a 2 stroke after like 100 feet but it is really quiet compared and I am sure that my neighbors hate the damn 4 stroke loudness. I like the sound, just not at the volume.

Shadowpillar

Oct 4, 2006

Late response, but I agree too, both need more or less the same maintenance. The only big diff with 4 strokes is they tend to not be as polluting or fuel hungry, and a 2-stroke has a better low-end than a 4 (depends on the engine)
My friend has a '92 Honda Z50R with a 4-stroke engine, he only periodically changes oil in it, in all the years he's had it, he has yet to replace the piston or rings. the only thing atm that needs replacing is the back tire and tube and back sprocket. He rides that thing harder than it should be ridden. he sometimes carries someone else on back (I know.. insanity, and the people he carries weigh over 200 lbs!) and yet, the rings arent shot, the piston isnt blown, and in all the years he's owned it, he has made one major engine repair, which was changing out the engine sprocket.

So I can also call bull**** on the stupid "4-strokes will explode omg omg" crap. Also, if your 4-stroke does need repairs every year, you're probably just lazy and dont change/add oil. and 2-strokes give you the incentive to fill them with oil because they will really crap out on you without that oil mixed into the fuel. ;)

+30

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be really jealous of the ponies the 4t's are pumping out , if my 2t didnt get to the first turn up front most of the time. :nener:
We should all be able to ride what we want. Thats where I kind of have an issue with the displacement rule. the 144 is a good thing, now its time for a 265 or better. Having a choice of what to buy is a good thing. Not a single 2t in a pro moto or even most amateur motos in my opinion is a bad thing. The manufacturers are giving up, you cant replace 200cc's with revised porting and bold new graphics. The displacement rule book has killed the 2 stroke.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be really jealous of the ponies the 4t's are pumping out , if my 2t didnt get to the first turn up front most of the time. :nener:
We should all be able to ride what we want. Thats where I kind of have an issue with the displacement rule. the 144 is a good thing, now its time for a 265 or better. Having a choice of what to buy is a good thing. Not a single 2t in a pro moto or even most amateur motos in my opinion is a bad thing. The manufacturers are giving up, you cant make up a 200cc disadvantage with revised porting and bold new graphics. The displacement rule book has killed the 2 stroke.

RS1441

Jun 18, 2006

:whoa: my friend lives in a valley he has a 125 and i have a 250 4-t and sure mine close does sound louder and drowns out his 125 but when he goes to the very far end of his fields on his bike the high pitch screetch travels alot further then when he uses my bike with the lower roar. the 2 stroke sound travels alot worse in my opinion i am sure.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006

I live in a valley too, I have mountains right up next to me. I can hear the 4 strokes and not the 2 at a similar distance. It is a scientific fact that a 4 stroke sound resonates at a frequency which travels a LOT farther. You can't argue with that.

Why in the hell is there ride stealth crap everywhere? 4 strokes are louder than hell.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rhein said:
It is a scientific fact that a 4 stroke sound resonates at a frequency which travels a LOT farther. You can't argue with that.

Care to share the source of that science with us?

RS1441

Jun 18, 2006
i still say the high pitch will travel further but meh maybe it doesn't but i can hear the high scream of the 125 at further distances also about the ride stealth i thought that was because 2 strokes make a crap load of noise with pipes and crap but 4 strokes aren't exactly quiet

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…