Whats the point buying a two stroke anymore?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
A freshly packed silencer will help both 4t and 2t sound volume. Simple solution to the debate in my opinion.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i tell you one thing for sure , i knew of no personal tracks around my house til they switched to 4 strokes, now i track em (by the noise) and make em let me ride. i tracked one down last fall after the leaves fell and the air was crisp that is 4miles as a crow flies from my house. never even heard any bikes when they were 2 strokes

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
From my experiance it depends on what bike your riding. Say if you had a crf 100, those things you can barely hear. Compare that to an 85 2 stroke and the 85 will be much louder. But on the bigger bikes like 125 2 strokes compared to a 250f, I think the 250 is wayyy louder and you can hear the sound resonate through the woods more-so than the 125. Same thing with 250 2s and 450s. I was out riding the other day with my friend and there was a big group came in with 2s of all sizes including a couple 500s and there was 2 people on a kx 250f and a crf450. The 4 strokes completly drowned out everything. They all left at the same time and you could only hear the 4 strokes not a whisper from the 2s. All over the mountain just the brrrr of the 4 strokes.

cranky

May 16, 2002
From owning and working on numerous bikes over the years (YZ125s,YZ250s,YZ250fs and an 06 RMZ450). We are going back to 2-strokes at the end of the year (most likely YZ250).I can only speak from my personal exp. and for the shops that I deal with but here in AZ. the 2-stroke is a lot cheaper to maintain/rebuild. If the AMA changes their class rules like they are talking about, it will help and even if they don't,we are switching back anyway. The 4-srokes have cost me a lot more than any of our 2-stokes did.

+30

Aug 2, 2005
plus the new ama rules put the 250cc 4t in with the 250cc 2t. It looks like open bikes will still be ruled by 4t's but the 250 class I would think would be mainly 2t.Very interesting to see what happens on the sales floor

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Rich,

the science is that I can proove that to you any day we are open at FVOR. Its fact, can it be proven, i bet it can.

can he or I proove it, "scienctifically"* who knows, but any saturday or sunday we can drive down the street and you can tell me what you hear.

:)

wardy

on the sales floor they may be a "slight" increase in dusting, you know dusting off the two stroke so they can sell it, I am sure the dealers won't mind the extra room?
but any increase in 250cc 2 stroke sales will likely be minimal at best.

Rubey

Jun 9, 2006
Rich Rohrich said:
Care to share the source of that science with us?

Given similar power levels, lower frequency sound waves travel much further and are more difficult to block. That's the reason you can hear someones subwoofers (low frequency) for such long distances. Higher frequency sound waves are more easily scattered and absorbed by not only the silencer, but the immediate surroundings as well.

As for the sources... It's basic physics that can be found in any 1st year engineering physics textbook. You can probably find a simplified explination in a high school "conceptual" physics textbook as well.

Aint science and engineering a wonderful thing.

Captain_shaft

Oct 23, 2006
I'm a two stroker, but my best friend just bought a four stroke, true, a good amount more expensive, to the best of my knowledge, fourstrokes are much easier to learn on, (due to the absence of a kick-in the pants power-band) and then later, if you want to go to a two stroke, its much easier than going from two stroke to four stroke

Dec 11, 2004
lol 4 years between ring changes...I love the internet. the internet should be called "the squidernet"...as far as the whole 2stoke 4stroke debate. i.m.o. only about 5-10% of the general public can ride the new moto bikes to the limit anyway, so it just like going to a bar when deciding. just order what you like. I prefer two strokes cause thats what I know and to an old school guy, the fours just remind me of a john deer. you shouldnt worry about banning unless in cali, just buy a quiet silencer. but the two stroke maintence is way easier for a rookie and 150 for a two stroke silencer compared to 300-400 sliencer for a four. That is about the % of dollars in maintance you will spend on the two. however 4 strokes might be a little easier to ride for a new guy. I know one thing my yz250 can still pull holeshots..so no worries here. plus now my old lady know exactly where i am on the track.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
FruDaddy said:
... Then there is the fact that the thumpers are harder to start when hot...(hot start lever required).... :nod:
Okiewan said:
LOL.
My point is made.
...One week, no starting. Blip the throttle 2x, pull the choke ...2 kicks, it's running. I'm sure your 2-T starts much easier tho. :nod:
How much time do you have on a 4-T? No, not surfing the web time, actually time...
I've only ridden a modern 4T about a half mile,
but I've spent a lot of time helping my riding buddies kick their 4T's! :nener:

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
i had 20 hours seat time on a thumper. 16 on a yz450f and 4 on a thumper sled. now i dunno about you guys but why the hell can't the motocross bikes sound like the RX-1 or phazer, or R1 thumpers? in fact i won't even call them by that name. there is no thump to the engines. it's a deep murmur.. is there that big of a difference? they took the motor for the phazer basically out of the 450F and modifyed it a little for colder weather... i don't here a thump out of it.... i hear a sweet sounding low waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamp really neat in my opinion. so why the loud thump for motocross?

any mechanics care to shed some light here would be greatly aprreciated. i don't understand exhaust systems on a 4 stroke. like why you have a little header pipe into this monstrosity you call a silencer. wnd why do they call it a silencer? normally it makes it louder.. we are part of a contradicting sport i just realized that

motosteve

Sep 2, 2005
MX86 said:
i had 20 hours seat time on a thumper. 16 on a yz450f and 4 on a thumper sled. now i dunno about you guys but why the hell can't the motocross bikes sound like the RX-1 or phazer, or R1 thumpers? in fact i won't even call them by that name. there is no thump to the engines. it's a deep murmur.. is there that big of a difference? they took the motor for the phazer basically out of the 450F and modifyed it a little for colder weather... i don't here a thump out of it.... i hear a sweet sounding low waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamp really neat in my opinion. so why the loud thump for motocross?

any mechanics care to shed some light here would be greatly aprreciated. i don't understand exhaust systems on a 4 stroke. like why you have a little header pipe into this monstrosity you call a silencer. wnd why do they call it a silencer? normally it makes it louder.. we are part of a contradicting sport i just realized that

They all have more cylinders.....hence more combustion cycles per revolution.

Last edited:

ThumperCJH

Dec 22, 2006
i have a 2002 4-t ttr125 and haven't replaced anything on the motor! :nener: not even had to adjust the valves yet :nod: so all you land haters out there who think 2 smokes all the way to go why don't you just either one move to canida 2 die or 3 buy a 4 stroke :clue:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
ThumperCJH said:
i have a 2002 4-t ttr125 and haven't replaced anything on the motor! :nener: not even had to adjust the valves yet :nod: so all you land haters out there who think 2 smokes all the way to go why don't you just either one move to canida 2 die or 3 buy a 4 stroke :clue:

Dude.. it's Canada not canida..

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
MX86 said:

Yep, the 4 stroke dirtbikes sound like loud farts to me!

I switched back to a 2 stroke after ~2 years on a 4 stroke. I don't think it's easier to learn on a 4 stroke...probably easier to learn to ride right in the first place, using both brakes, etc. on a 2 stroke. But to each his own, as long as we have choices.

Doug

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
ThumperCJH said:

That's a scooter motor in a playbike, not the racing 4 strokes being discussed in this thread.

Doug

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
motometal said:
power valves on a two stroke can be an issue. I had a '96 RM250 with a sticking powervalve, drove me nuts and ended up being a $5.00 bearing that had collected enough spooge to tighten up and stop turning when warm, but worked fine when cold.

The KX80/85/100 had a habit of breaking the little cross pin in the powervalve. The part was cheap, and the bike ran pretty well without it actually...still annoying though.

Other than these problems, out of about 10 other bikes I've owned with powervalves I have never had to "service" the powervalves other than during routine top end service. This is just cleaning, no parts (with the powervalve). Proper jetting and clean burning oil make a big difference here.

The powervalve, by nature, leads a much, much easier life than valves on a 4-t, which are hammering open and shut thousands of times per minute.

valves valves valves i dont need no stinking valves.....unless its a reed valve :laugh:

Cory326

Feb 3, 2007
I like to look at this whole topic like this... Buy what you wanna ride and forget about the rest. 2 stroke or four, who really cares? Worring about all this stuff is silly...they're machines, they ARE going to break eventually, thats why they make new ones every day. Basically, being able to ride is more important than WHAT you ride.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
2 strokes are all fun 4strokes are all work no play if you only want to win without much fun buy a 4 stroke not that they arent fun its just 2 strokes are funner

May 18, 2006
i can remember the first time i rode a dirtbike, it was so awesome... well not the very first ride... i made it 7 feet and tipped over lol, i was just a small kid, maybe 8 years old, im not sure. anyways, after i got cleaned off i got back on and got some more practace, and was feeling great and doing fine on it, having more fun that i had ever imagend. i remember this very clearly, and i also remember having no idea what 2 or 4 stroke was. it turend out it was a 2stroke, kd80, however it made no diff... bikes are about fun. dont let tech get in the way =)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom