Whats the point buying a two stroke anymore?

Feb 11, 2007
i actually have 3 bikes one is a smoker and the other 2 are thumpers the 150f im really unsatisfied with stock but the 07 150r ( all honda of course) is great i love the powerband how ever it is very loud. we all race on ice and my cr 125 with the procicuit engine has gone 3 years withj out top end changes ( seals gaskets nothing ) and it was hauling

cantrell24x

Oct 24, 2001
Wow that's a long read.

I am not sure I understand how offroad motorcycle R&D provides any real world support for the big four.
Honda maybe but I would think they get more than enough from auto racing or road racing bikes, and that technology would be easily transferred.

I think Yamaha has developed a car engine or three.

I haven't kept up with the times but aren't boating engines and yard equipment engines also switching to 4t?

This would lead me to believe that environmental issues are the big reason for the switch.

I think the big four made a proactive decision and now they need to get their money back out of the 4t bikes.

If it is true that 2t are not the polluters they are claimed to be it will not be too long before they come back.

Unless the manufacturers have realized it is easier to make money by financing 2 bikes than by selling three bikes. The o/n interest rate in Japan is nearly zero. I have not proven it but I suspect this fact has a significant impact on the new bikes we ride.

lynch racing

Aug 13, 2004
What???

I live in a valley on top of a mountain and 4 strokes are the main culprit of closures, they made a better mousetrap that will make all mousetraps end up sitting in garages with no place to trap mice! If a 98 db limit is not put in effect and enforced no one will be louder than hell. 2T`s can make the limit, 4T`s will have to struggle....
I agree with Rhein :cool:

I have tried to get the promoters to support a 2T only race program in the USA in order to preserve the sport and make it affordable to the masses. 2T only races are growing in attendance in Europe and can support a track profitwise plus keep the noise closure issue at bay, A 2T only profit is much higher than a track closed profit. :whoa:

Zipp0

Registered
Mar 5, 2007
this is totally the wrong approach. The sprint car races near me are 100 times louder than any motorcycle could ever hope to be, and nobody is shutting them down.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Zipp0 said:
this is totally the wrong approach. The sprint car races near me are 100 times louder than any motorcycle could ever hope to be, and nobody is shutting them down.

Yeah in the summer when i go to my dads house. They race till like midnight. And its really loud. Makes the windows rattle, and you cant even see the place from my dads house....

trailrider822

Mar 14, 2007
i always love my two strokes, and will keep them running on my property LONNNNNNNNNNNG after any bans on any motorcycles go into effect at any point in time. I am currently doing a lot of parts shopping for two stroke parts, and am collecting empty boxes to store them in with labels. I will be doing parts shopping every month for the rest of my life, i am sure. lol. So as far as tech changes go over the years, i am not gonna worry bout it. ;)

Mickmoto

Mar 29, 2007
Just my 2 cents but I rode a 2001 CR250 2 stroke for some time, just got my new 07 CRF450x and I love it. I noticed more of a handling thing then a power thing, obviously the newer bike rode much nicer, but that’s to be expected with how new it is, so I couldn’t really tell you if an 07 2 stroke handle like the 4. The 2stroke had massive power that came at me like a wave in the ocean where I find the 4stroke is more evenly displaced, enabling me to ride much more aggressively with much less rider fatigue. I live in California, and I do see a lot more 4 strokes at the riding areas but I have never gone a weekend without seeing and riding a 2stroke. Great info at this site,awesome thanks

Mick

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006

Your opinion is based on facts. The 4 stroke engine produces a lower frequency noise than the 2t. Lower frequency sounds usually travel much farther (think Elephants). On top of that, 4Ts are usually a lot louder. I know from experience when I am out and see a 4t and a 2t pacing each other I can't even hear the 2t but you can hear that 4t fartin away. :ride:

My friend has a brand new CRF450R that he blew up, needs a whole new top end, he priced it out at the dealer and can't afford it, it was into the $1,000s. Now if you can afford that, more power to you, he regrets not having his YZ250 anymore. He is making payments on a bike that sits. If you can afford the 4t great, if you can't then the 2t is for you. We need choices. :)

RubenCR

Apr 17, 2007
XRpredator said:
Deep down I have a seething hatred for the ring-ding, smoke belching 2 strokes.

and it don't matter how many words Perry Mason puts in a post, 2-strokes still suck.

Why's that becasue you can't ride them :nener: , there should be no reason for you to hate them except for your own personal opinion give me a decent reason and i'll consider what your saying isn't !BS!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RubenCR said:
. . . there should be no reason for you to hate them except for your own personal opinion give me a decent reason and i'll consider what your saying isn't !BS!
  1. rejetting when a cloud passes over
  2. mixing gas
  3. twitchy lightswitch power characteristics
  4. wheelspin
  5. constant rebuilds
  6. Two-stroke luddites who just can't let go
There, now you have six.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Nice job, Pred...you just reaffirmed what RubenCR said. :coocoo:

And to throw in the lame mixing gas thing again. Most of you racing 4 stroke guys buy race gas anyway, for goodness sake.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
After watching Epic ride where they ride quads at Glamis, my take is this 4 stroke thing is not just about Harley Davidson's eventual return to offroad coupled with the Japanese manufacturers wanting to reuse all their streetbike R&D into dirtbikes. It's more and more about the using the same engine R&D from their quads into the every-day-a-little-less-important offroad motorcycle segment, without regard to the actual application. 10-20 lbs extra in a quad, so what? That same weight gain paired with less turning ability in a motorcycle is sad for woods riders.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…