What's the worst injury you've had?

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Whats the worst injurie you've ever had riding a dirt bike? Miine is when my foot got caught in some barbwire in the ground and I went flyin and dislocated my shoulder.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Fractured tibial plateau in 1986 it has messed with me for 20 years.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Oww

Chris Matic

Dec 30, 2006
While showing off to some friends, a simple wheelie turned into me pruning some saplings about 3 feet up with my left foot peg, and breaking my right collar bone.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
high ankle sprain in the left ankle, stress fractured right ankle, seperated right shoulder, and a concussion. all at once in one crash i might add. i was in a world of hurt for the rest of that week

MHawkmx

Mar 7, 2006
Radial fracture of the humerus at some sand dunes....had to sleep in a chair for 10 weeks...no cast just had it hanging in a wrist sling

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Watching my bike drop from a 40 foot plateau that some 150 operator decided to dig the landing out! Yeah, I still wake up in cold sweats over that one! I remember allot of the wrecks, and some of the finishes!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
Severe paper cut while signing the release paperwork at tbe gate one time!

lol

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
Severe paper cut while signing the release paperwork at tbe gate one time!

damn man are you alright? i mean could you still ride? :nener: :whoa: those types of accidents could end a career :cool: lol

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I broke my left femur when I was snowboarding, I hit a rail and i waas helecoptered to boise, had surgerf had 4 pins in my leg and 2 screws, have had 3 operations since.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
10 years ago, ruptured disk(came up short on a double). It wasn't bad for a long time but the last couple years it is really getting bad. It has set up arthritis and some times I can barely walk, yet I still insist on throwing a leg over a dirtbike a few times a year. :whoa: :coocoo:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Reesknight said:
10 years ago, ruptured disk (came up short on a double). It wasn't bad for a long time but the last couple years it is really getting bad. It has set up arthritis and some times I can barely walk, yet I still insist on throwing a leg over a dirtbike a few times a year. :whoa: :coocoo:
Where is it? Is surgery an option?

When they did mine they removed the blown out discs, packed in cadaver bone fragments enough to regain the spacing that hould have been there, then bolted the bones together. Theoretically, that should relieve any pressure the vertbera are putting on the nerves.

http://themxtrack.com/MyNeck.jpg

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
High Lord Gomer said:
Where is it? Is surgery an option?

When they did mine they removed the blown out discs, packed in cadaver bone fragments enough to regain the spacing that hould have been there, then bolted the bones together. Theoretically, that should relieve any pressure the vertbera are putting on the nerves.

http://themxtrack.com/MyNeck.jpg

Lower back, I don't remember the number. My Dr. hasn't given me any reason to be optimistic about surgery. Might help, might not, might make it worse! :yikes: He seems to lean toward therapy for some reason. He seems to want to try everything else first. Its to the point now where I'm going to have to do SOMETHING about it tho. My biggest problem is money and downtime. I have good insurance, but it always seems someone else in the family will have a 'more pressing' issue that needs medical attention. Wife needed surgery and may need something else done, daughter has some rare platelet disorder that requires monthy prescriptions and possibly a transfusion, I also have barret's esophogus with low grade displasia, thats another prescription, and Dr. wants me to have surgery to correct the hernia I have. :ahhh:
What a drag it is getting old. :(

tml17

Oct 27, 2005
I did not get hurt in this one but, I was riding on a 30 mile loop and we were half way done with it and we all stopped and rested then took off at the same time there were at least 12 of us leaving at the same time and I decieded to open my bike up with about 3 feet of visability I hit a log in third gear and went flying off my bike doing a flip I got right back up started my bike and finished the loop with out a scratch on me thank god for that one. :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Torn rotator cuff…. March 2003. Did 4-5 months of PT instead of surgery…. almost 4 years later it's still jacked... have a hard time reaching out to change the radio station in the car, can't lift a heavy glass, hard to brush my hair, etc. Playing hockey has had a toll on it too…

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The worst I've done while riding is lay 'er down in the mud and burn my leg on the pipe. I broke both my arms before though. I was 12, so six years ago, right at the end of summer vacation. Tried jumping a dirt pile on a BMX bike. Front tire caught, flipped me over and I landed with both arms out. Broke my right arm completely in half, bth bones, it was just kinda hanigng there, stuck up about 4 inches, and came through the skin a little bit so it was all bloody. Got lucky on the left one, and broke the wrist in 4 places. The left arm I had a cast clear up to me elbow, and on the right arm, I got 2, 4 inch titanium plates, and 12 screws holding them in. Wish I could find the x-rays. Had some type of cast on my right arm for a while, but got that taken off for a soft cast after about 9 weeks. Talked 'em in to taking off the cast on my left arm too. That wasn't supposed to come off until 12 weeks. Had a soft cast, brace type thing until 14 or 15 weeks. Never cried when it happend at all. My sister was with me when it happened. I got mad beacuse I couldn't take my helmet off. Thats the only reason I still have a face probably. I didn't listen to the Dr. at all though, I moved and exercised as much as I could, even just squeezing a tennis ball. I got yelled at for taking my own notes at school, and refusing to go the nurse's office when I had to go to the bathroom. I can wipe my own ass, thank you very much. Lol. It was kinda hard though.... Lol. If you fall, tuck 'n' roll!!!

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
"The one that didn't kill me"

1990, Mothers Day, (Mom loved this phone call, not!) :whoa:

Place: Happy Hills MX track, a former MX track abandoned in the 80's out in the middle of nowhere in central Kansas. Killer natural terrain with alot of up and down stuff, soil is dry and rocky, greasy as snot when wet. Wish I had a dollar for every lap I turned on the place.

Group: I was new in town and lucked into riding with the local dirt riders through my lead-mans' little brother.

Problem: 6 of us hit it on a fine morning and where having a fine old time. Myself, on my trusty '80' XT500 and a buddy where tear-a$$ing around playing racer when I, in the lead, ripped over a jump (pond dam, blind) and there was a YZ125 right where I was gonna land.

I'm in 3rd, airborne. He's in 3rd, pinned to jump, pretty much I landed IN him.

BIG problem: After all the dust settled, and everybody quit screaming, Myself and the other guy got loaded up (one rider freaked at all the blood and bone and wouldn't get near us) in a clapped out '70' Chevy truck with bald tires and did a 100mph run to the nearest E.R that was 30 miles away.

I tried real hard to bleed to death on the way, arterial blood covered the truck bed. It took 5 attempts to to get an I.V. of any size going once we got to the E.R.

As luck would have it, one of the better Ortho surgeons in the state just happened to be doing his E.R. stint and saved our shiny bee-hinds.

Damage: The other guy, cut-off L. big toe. My brand new front fender 'ice cream scooped' about 2lbs of his left upper thigh muscle out. Doc Chuck patched him back up, 3 days in the hospital. He got an Epidural, lucky bitc#!

The grocery list: L. kneecap in 3 pieces, compound. L. lower leg bone split at the joint, 5 inches down. L. Femur split at joint, up 8 inches. L. lower arm main bone snapped and compounded AND lightly removed from L.wrist. Dislocated L. shoulder. Hypercompressed R. hip. Bad attitude. Mild concussion. Shock.

Lot's of screws and plates, lot's of Morphine, 10 days in hospital, 7 weeks in therapy, riding and working in 8 weeks.

I got revenge, his bike was totaled! I put another couple of years on the 'tank' XT before I sold it.

And we all still ride together to this day ( except for Matt)

Lesson: Even if you have to sit awhile, check to see which way everybody is going on the track/course!!!!

Matt went the wrong way on the track, and got hurt for it. Came within a catwhisker of killing myself or the guy behind me.

No Regrets, not a dam*ed one! I learned a few things about myself thru the whole ordeal . :cool:

Tim

Might get into "The one that should'a killed me" later as a lesson to our younger members later.

Top Bottom