randy nelson

May 10, 2003
Could be several different things. Does the motor turn over ok? Is there oil in the trans?Will it go into nuetral or other gears. Make any difference with clutch in or out? I think there has been mention in this list of various things happening for this problem . Advancer shaft piece shearing off inside right case. Shifter spring or retainer broken also inside rh case. Jammed or bent shifter forks or something jamming the gears . requires splitting the case, in any case you should get a service manual . I f you do some more troubleshooting with above tips Im sure the list will help you out with a little more info.

gambell86

Jul 20, 2004
The bike starts over fine but i have to start it with the clutch in because it won't shift into neutral. It will run fine in first gear. The oil in the transmission was at level point. The thing is, I don't know a whole lot about dirtbikes so i don't wanna tear it apart too much and end up with a big mess that i don't know how to fix so i am kinda worried about tearing it apart, but if u can give me and more info i'd be glad. I might try to do some trouble shooting. Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It sounds like the shift shaft return spring has popped out of place. There was an old thread about that a few months ago.

If that is the problem, drain the oil. Pull the RIGHT side engine cover off (you will probably have to remove the brake pedal). The shift shaft will be near the bottom rear of the engine. It is the same shaft your shifter is connected to on the left side of the bike - the shaft runs all the way through the tranny and the spring is near the end of the right side of the shaft. If one of the ends of the spring pops out of place (or the spring is broken) the bike will do as you say.

You can find a diagram for your tranny/shift mechanism at www.buykawasaki.com It shows the spring. If this is your problem (I think it probably is) it is very minor surgery and does not require splittig the cases. Shimming the spring by putting some washers on the shift shaft might help it stay in place better. Thats the way is was on my old '84, anyways.

Top Bottom