Whats your opinion; Best Bang for buck susp.mods?

Mar 14, 2005
What's your best bang for buck mods that you would recommend doing? Basically what suspension mods are worth doing, for a supercross/motocross competitive rider? (I have had revalved done in the past, and honestly don't know if there was a difference--should there of been, should I look at different companies?)

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
You'll notice more with coating the forks sometimes than having them revalved. It mainly depends on how good they are stock. If the suspension is pretty good stock, then coating them with Tit Nit or Forslyk will make a lot of difference. If your suspension isn't very good, like I have heard of the 05 YZ suspension, then I would get it revalved. Just depends on what you are looking for,and what you already have. Oh, and one more thing. Changing the oil height and weight sometimes makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
I have a 2004 CR125, what shops coat the forks? How much does something like this cost?

Miedosoracing said:
You'll notice more with coating the forks sometimes than having them revalved. It mainly depends on how good they are stock. If the suspension is pretty good stock, then coating them with Tit Nit or Forslyk will make a lot of difference. If your suspension isn't very good, like I have heard of the 05 YZ suspension, then I would get it revalved. Just depends on what you are looking for,and what you already have. Oh, and one more thing. Changing the oil height and weight sometimes makes a huge difference.

Miedosoracing

Feb 22, 2005
Did you feel it got worse after about 10 rides with Tit Nit, or didn't it ever feel better? We haven't had anyone say they didn't feel an improved difference with Forslyk. We have only heard that Tit Nit wears to where there is more stiction after 10 rides or so.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It didnt wear out,it was more of a case of the thickness of the tin and the upper fork leg coatings took out all the tolerance in the bush area, i measured it before and after -the bushes had half the room to move after the coatings, this was back in 94 so maybe they have changed things by now, i have been told by many people the coatings are too thin to change the tolerances but i measured and saw the difference.

On the shock the seal head assembly would not go into the body after the coating was applied(the black coating) i had to have it honed back to size.

Both front and rear end were never as good again.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
the coating itself should be very thin, like .0001"! If it was deposited using a heat treat type process, it is possible that there was growth and/or other distorsion from the heat treat, not the coating itself. The theory behind the coating, is that it is way harder than the hard chrome plating. If it isn't ground and/or polished to the right finish, that could make a difference as well.

pobit

Apr 27, 2002
The best bang for the buck is to read your owners manual and set the bike up for your weight and riding conditions. Stock suspension can be made to work quite well. Dave

Top Bottom