ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
87 kdx200. Need to replace rear wheel bearings. I checked out online parts diagram as well as in my clymer manual. Shows 3 bearings, or at least i believe that is what it's telling me, is this really correct. (I know, take out mine and find out, well i really don't want to remove mine until i'm sure off what i need to replace them) Every catalog i've looked at is unclear of whether or not i can even get the bearings. Example: Dennis Kirk only shows to sell 1 right hand rear bearing---do i need 3 of these? Sorry so long just a little confused

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
The front hub will have 2 bearings as will the rear.

Get the bearing descriptions off the BuyKawasaki site. The number like 320006r is what you can use to cross reference the bearing at a local parts store.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
so you can get the bearings at a parts store?

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
I just looked at the KAW site for 87 kdx 200, it shows 2 bearings front, 2 bearings back. There are only 3 dust seals as the odometer case negates one.

You could look and see bearing#, cross-reference it at your local parts counter, ... or just get a wheel bearing kit from one of many motorcycle parts store. I replaced all of mine this springs, about $20 per wheel, came with bearings and dust seals.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: look and see bearing#..

Which in most cases will be a string of numbers that relate to the bearing's inside/outside diameter measurements and the length. (this statement of general interest, may not pertain to particular bearing you're after)

Not all bearings are the same. Some use metals better suited for fishing weights, and grease that fits that application.

CBR Bearing has 'kits' for some bearing applications. My last set of rear wheel bearings came from them. A bit more spendy than your basic 'all balls' junk, but the kits come WITH seals and they have a lifetime guarantee!! They even honor that guarantee!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i've found quite a few places to get these bearings, or at least close. Right now i'm looking in my Grainger catalog, they have quite a few... I will check CBR Bearing, canyn. Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's not clear in the post, but <CBR bearing> is a link that will take you to their website. Click on it.

Give 'em a call to ask specifics. They've been more'n happy to help when I've called, and I've heard the same from other riders.

Can't beat 'lifetime guarantee'. BRush said he collected on it after a two year use of their bearings. Said they didn't flinch (or otherwise gripe, moan or complain)..sent him a new set.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Canyn...just got through talking to CBR. They have my complete rear set for $40! can't beat that, seals and 3 bearings! Thanks for the hot lead. Now i'm trying to locate some new needle bearings (without going to my dealer!)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Hope you're not as confused as I am.

Your bike DOES take three bearings? I know some MX bikes do. Didn't know the kdx ever had three. But then, I don't know zip about the '87 in general. No comments about other things I know zip about are required. ;)

If they said three, then it's probably so. Buykawi doesn't go back to '87.

They (CBR) have needle bearings, too. If you know the ID,OD, length and type (caged, uncaged and such) they can tell you if they got 'em or not.

Good luck!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
Thanks again canyn. My bike does actually have 3 bearing or at least it shows to. i will wait till i have new ones in hand before i pull old ones out. I will ask CBR about the needle bearing too. Then i get to replace the ball joints in my linkage (but that will be another day!)

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Yes, the drumbrake wheels do have three bearings; one large one on the sprocket side and two small ones on the drum side. I daresay it is to provide a bit more support for the axle.

Cheers

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
IT does not matter where you get the bearings from. If someone is giving you a lifetime, great. But does the cost ou weight the benefit? Also how do you go about the warranty and how many days down are you?

When you look at the bearings at the local parts store, you can get non sealed, single sided rubber sealed (like the stock bearings), double sided rubber sealed -- what you want, and SS sealed on the bearings.

The numbers I use for the bearings are the Bower/BCA and they are like 202, 202F (single sealed), 202 FF (double sealed) and 202SS (stainless). Cost for me is about the same as mail order from the local parts stores. We also have a place about 15 minutes drive that all they do is bearings and custom made bearings. Comes in handy!

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
the set of 3 bearings and seals is 39.00...where i live that is my best deal. My auto parts stores are usually not very helpful in manner such as these. Even going through Grainger, MSC, McMaster Carr or J&L, are not cheaper. But i do agree that for me usually a lifetime guarantee is pointless. Few people would take the time to send the bearing back (and pay for shipping), nor will i own this bike for a "lifetime". Now a lifetime guarantee on a new car!! THAT Would be a good deal!

Top Bottom