bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
So I took off my front wheel today and discovered that my front wheel bearing were totally shot. I'm looking for replacements. Are the 1987 wheel bearings the same for all years of the KDX200's. My local parts shop only has bearings listed for the 1995 to 2006 KDX200. Thanks.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
I just bought an Allballs kit and installed it on my 86. I got it through Rocky Mountain MC/ATV, but you be able to get any dealer or accessory shop to order it for you. I also bought the kit for the rear which is harder to find for that bike, unless you buy it from Allballs website, but I still got a local shop to order it for me. :cool:

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Ok, so I bought the bearings today and they were a perfect match. I installed them no problem, and the wheel spun freely. But when I torqued down the axle nut to the specified torque setting the wheel did not spin freely anymore. So I removed the wheel again, and sure enough the bearing were shot. What did I do wrong? The only thing I noticed was when I removed the old bearing there was no sleeve between the bearings, in the hub. Acording to the the schematics on bikebandit.com, there should be a collar between the bearings, in the hub. I can roll the bike around in the garage, but when I lift the front end, the wheel does not turn freely. I noticed that the wheel was spinning around the axle, and that the actual bearings were not moving. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
It HAS to have that spacer or else the side pressure will do exactly what you said it did. All the pressure has to be only radial (from the wheel assembly itself). Somebody obviously put in new bearings before you did and forgot the to put the spacer back in. :think:

bajus22

Dec 8, 2008
Well I guess I should find that piece. Any idea if any other bikes share that same piece. I went on eBay to find one and had no luck. This will lead to my next question though. How are you supposed the get the bearings in, while keeping the collar in place. That seems like it's going to be a tricky job.

Dirtdame

Apr 10, 2010
Not too difficult a job. Whack one side in, flip the wheel over drop in the spacer, then whack the other side in. You can get a screwdriver or big punch and line up the spacer once you have everything in place and seated. I hope you still have the retainer clip that goes on the brake side of the hub too.

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
The sleeve collar that it come with at frist was 15.2x19x75
How ever you should get the upgrade "15.2X22.2X75" tab thicker sleeve collar part number 92027-1958 there on all KLX, KDX 200cc and up there the same size to all way up 2010.
Your best beat is just buy a new one off cheapcycleparts.com, powersportspro.com there cheaper then bikebandit.com but there no way a round high cost S/H so check your local dealer for that part and get new set of bearings.

Top Bottom