javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Hello again...

Well I got my old berrings out and the new in. I cant tell that these things roll now. Is that normal? I can get the axle through so I think everything is lined up properly. Are berrings generaly tight after installation? Never done any real maintenence and doing a ground up rebuild and trying my best to do it all myself.

Thanks,
Jason

B

biglou

I think new bearings are a little tight at first. It's the old, loose, wobbly ones that you need to be afraid of! It is hard to get a good grip on the inner race and make it turn, anyway. And if there is any grease on them, it's very hard to do by hand. I think you're good to go.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
They should turn freely.

When you drive them in you have to make sure you are hitting the outer race and not the inner one. Hitting the inner only could damage a ball bearing. Also make sure you didn't hit the seal. It is soft and will bend into the ball bearings.

Don't forget to install the spacer that goes between the two bearings.

Good luck.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Crap I did notice where I did hit the seal..But I didnt think it was enough to hurt anything. What do you use to drive in the bearings? I used a large socket. I got the spacer in with no problems, I cant even get it to spin though. Is it possible to drive the bearings too far?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The bearings do hit a stop in the hub. It is possibl ethat the center spacer is slightly too short. This binds the bearings when you tighten the axle. Is it possible you overtightened the axle nut???

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
I havent put the wheel on yet.. Im just trying to turn the berrings with my finger. I can put the axle through the wheel and spin the wheel but I cant tell if the bearing is turning or not. The wheel is spinning but it looks like it's just spinning around the axle.. The center spacer sits on both berrings so I dont think it's too short. I hope I did it right and dont have to buy another set of bearings.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
It is normal that you can't spin the bearings like that, well at least every time I've done it or had my mechanic do it that's been the case! When you put the wheel on the bike the spacers will push against the inner race and make them spin freely. It's nothing to worry about...

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Oh thank God.. I was really starting to worry.. Thanks for the help Zenith. I'll put the wheel back on and check it out. Thanks again.

Top Bottom