KDXN200A1

Feb 20, 2003
I was wondering if anyone had experienced wheel stress fracturing. I have a few on the rear, one goes from spoke to spoke. On the front I have a small crack near the sidewall. I personally feel it is ok but was wondering what the rest of the group has experienced. I also thought about having weld patches put on but was worried about reduced structural strenght do to the heat applied.

Thanks

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Yup I have had this problem and i can tell ya,,, In my opinion, there trash to me.. I am all about safty and those rims are not safe if you ride like me.. My rims were the same way and now there filed under "G" for garbage! DOes that tell ya anything???

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Not to sound like your Mom but

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?

Cracks don't get better, they get bigger. When you see cracks, there are usually more that you can't see. If you are positive they are cracks and not just surface scratches, you should be looking for new wheels. If you have an older KDX, I think there is a set of wheels on eBay now.

Aluminum is not as ductile and forgiving as steel. You could be landing a big jump or running some whoops at 50mph and have one of those rims fall apart. I don't want to watch. After you change those rims, they belong in the trash. Do not try to resell them on eBay or offer them to a friend (or enemy). Do not try JB Weld as a repair. If you find someone to weld them, be sure to get a guarantee in writing. I expect that it would look awful and I wouldn't trust it anyway. The gold rims look pretty cool and I have seen some new blacks ones that look slick.

I am sure it is expensive to have a shop change them for you, but consider doing it yourself. It is not that hard. I replaced a rim this winter. Yes, it will take time and you need to understand what you are doing and why, but it is not difficult. Good luck.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Get rid of those rims ASAP.You risk serious injury or...you know ,every time you ride it like that.Please change them before you get hurt.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
While I have seen rims bend, I've never seen a rim crack like you describe. What would cause a spoke-to-spoke crack? Could it be from spokes that were torqued too tight?

My curious mind wants to know.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Rims can be damaged by alot of things going wrong.. From wrong tension on the spokes to wrong pressure in the tire and hittting something hard.. My bike had been sitting alot(before I bought it) cause i noticed that a quarter of the spokes on both rims would just spin causeing the rim to lose tension. I imagine they rode the bike like that, thats not good. Well i was gonna change spokes and tires and noticed a really bad stress crack on the rear rim. Well now i have black excel rims and there awesome looking but to top it all off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I know that i am SAFE and I have confidence in the rims!!

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Many people can help you here, just let them know what you want and they will point you in the direction. Ive had alot of help here from DRN peeps. Thanx!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom