Where can I get masterlinks?

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
I was looking over my chain, and I realized I cannot find the masterlink clip. How do I know which link is the masterlink now? Is the chain going to fly apart into the wheel or engine case next time I go riding? Where can I buy just a spare masterlink, or masterlink clips for an o-ring chain?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
is it a factory chain or aftermarket? My factory o-ring has a regular masterlink on it. My friend rides street bikes though and his came as a solid chain (no master link). Maybe if its aftermarket it's a single piece with no link.

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
Dang, now I can't remember. I know my original non o-ring chain that came with the bike had a master link, and I was always worried because it would come off all the time. This chain is an RK size 520 o-ring. I am embarassed to say that I lost my master link when I can't even remember if it had one. I remember that because of the o-ring, I had to really clamp the hell out of the master link to get it to pop on there when I first put it on the bike. But since then, like over a year ago, I've never taken it off. I didn't notice any of the rivets being noticeably longer, like there was a masterlink missing. I guess I was just looking over my bike closely tonight and realized there was no masterlink. Does anyone else with an o-ring have a masterlink clip? I also used one of my automotive brake spring pulling tools to pull the exhaust pipe spring off, like someone mentioned in another thread. Works well. :cool:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Most decent chains you have to clamp them to push the joining link through. This however isn’t enough to guarantee they won’t disassemble at an inopportune moment.

You either have to have a master link or a rivet link on an non endless chain. The rivet link or endless is more secure as clips like to get ripped off by chain stays etc.

Clean your chain & inspect the links. If it the joiner is a rivet type link there will be indentations in the end so you can peen them over (support from behind with anvil).

But I suspect the link is a master type & the plate isn’t on far enough to expose the clip groove. Find if any links are wider or loose. If this is the case it can be squeezed on with a G clamp & a nut between the rivet or over the rivet ends bit at a time either side.

Hey maybe you chain wasn’t supplied with a master link & you went & bought one for a non o-ring chain that would have been narrower??

If you must use a masterlink type clean it up & put some silicone over it to help retain it

Top Bottom