where could i find a capacitor?

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
right now with my stock xr600, i have an aftermarket headlight assembly my taillight and a brake light. when running the headlight is nice and bright, but once i put the brakes on the head ligh almost goes out completly.
So i'm curious as to what type of a capacito i could use to help out with this problem. also where in the circuit would i need to place this? i thought about rewinding the stator to be able to give it some more powerout put but someone said this would probally work too.

phranticness

Jan 4, 2006
I've seen exactly what you are describing on E-B$Y. According to the guy selling them it's a replacement for a battery, and makes electric start inoperable. I don't see why you could'nt wire it in parellel with the battery, and accomplish the same objective, to keep the voltage even, yet retain electric start. I dont' know a 93' XR had electric start. If not, just replace the battery with the capaciter, wire it in the same position as the battery.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
STOOOOOOOOP!

You have used too much current for your ignition system. No amount of battery or capacitance will correctly this. You need to get your stator re-wound if you want to use this high power light.
When the light dims you are just seeing the voltage go down when the light draws too much current. You need to supply more constant current (more stator winds) which will correct the problem.
RAD DAD

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well i geuss I know what i'm doing this winter then.

but yet another option may prevail: i've seen that baja designs sells a LED taillight that functions as a plate light with a running light and brake light. they also claim it uses much less to run these lights. would it help to run this instead?

and when i do rewind my stator this winter, assuming i wind all the opened "teeth" about how many watts can i expect to put out over stock? i see the ricky puts out 200.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…