Where to find info on how to recharge shocks

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
I have all the equipment to recharge snowmobile shocks, but need a service manual or information on how to recharge Kayaba and Showa shocks for motorcyles. It has been more than 5 years since I have had a motorcylc shock apart.

Does anyone now where I can obtain this information??

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Does the nitrogen make the shock stiffer? I ask because of this. I rebuilt my YZ shock a few months back. I went to th elocal shop to have the shock re-charged. The owner says, "No problem, how much pressure do you want" I said "How about 140"

He then says , "With your weight (200lbs and growing) I would use 175.

Being that this is in a closed, ballon like container, how could it change much about the shock?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I believe it has to do with bottoming resistance. With less pressure there is less resistance to compression of the bladder.

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
My main problem is that motorcylce shocks require special tools to get them apart. I would like to know what tools I need before I get a shock half apart and then find out I can't do it.

The shock I did 5 years ago needed no special tools. I tried to do a Kayaba off a 98 YZ250 yesterday and it need a spanner wrench to get the compression body out. It also looked like it needed a different spanner to seperate the shaft and piston from the main body.

I fully understand how they work. I would just like to see some literature on how to properly dissasemble them.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
98 YZ compression adjuster you want to be careful with. You have to drill the 2 peens and then make sure you don't gall the threads when pulling it apart. You do that and your screwed. You can twist that one out with a wrench, but from 2000 up you need a special tool for them. Removing the shaft assembly from the body requires depressinig the sealhead and removing the circlip from the body. Once the circlip is out, just work the shaft up and out of the body. Bladder cap is also held in place with a circlip.

Let the pressure off the shock, depress bladder cap, remove circlip and pull the bladder out. Depress sealhead, remove circlip and pull shaft assembly out. Just watch it with the compression adjuster, I've known a few inexperienced guys to ruin their shock bodies pulling them out. If you have any doubts just leave it in there. While it may not be sparkling clean at least you won't run the risk of needing a new shock body.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
here ya go. how to rebuild your kayaba and showa shock. detailed instructions and even pictures!!

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/pdffiles/shock.pdf

PowerJoe

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2003
Thanks, this is pretty much what I was looking for. I still have more questions, but the guy who wrote the article put his email address in there for questions.

Thanks again!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Bump,
I gotta go work, but fun stuff here.. Back soon, now that I'm getting caught up I'll have some time for good discusions like this..

BR,
Jer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom