cb23

Mar 15, 2004
I am about to rebuild another engine. One cylinder (2 cylinder engine) I want to use is of original size, but is polished (by the piston). So, I just want to break the glaze. I suspect I will want to break the glaze on similar cylinders many times in the future. . .

So, reading Eric Gorr, I want a size 10% smaller and 240 grit. Since I have 72mm cylinders, 65mm/240 grit.

After many, many internet searches, and stopping by/calling several likely local shops (general automotive, NAPA, car tool, etc.), no joy. It seems that at this rough size, only 180 or 320 grit is avialable. And as for size, It seems I can choose 64mm or 70mm or just go away (so, 70mm doesn't sound too bad. . .).

Goodson.com is one of these.

One shop called the manufacturer (not flex hone), who said he could do a custom hone for me, 3 to 5 weeks, in 240 grit (and I assume diameter, clerk did not ask) and the clerk said he was afraid to ask the price. . .

So, do I have to send my cylinders off to Eckhoff's, $20 shipping each way and $45 to hone?

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
You can get those at just about any good auto parts store and should be able to at least order any size you need.

Steve

cb23

Mar 15, 2004
Eh, I tried Advance, Autozone, Pep Boys, NAPA, and one that carries more stuff (O'Briens? Something like that). Blank looks from all but NAPA, and only 180/320 70mm from them.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Go here http://www.mcmaster.com/
then enter "flex hone" in the "find" box

The only cheaper source was a seller on evilBay called hardpartswest but he's gone now.

Top Bottom