where to ride ride near libertyville, il?

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
hey, i want to start riding again. it's been 20 years since i owned my last bike (rm80). where is there to ride near me? any help would be appreciated. i'm also looking for a used xr400. thanks.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Try a search on Illinois riding. But here is a short list.

Byron, IL - moto and some trails
Ottwawa, IL - Buffalo Range and Fox Valley off-road
Casey, IL - Lincoln Trails

- there are many more moto tracks

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
There is Crab Orchard. (29 miles east of Carbondale) 410 acres and growing. Plenty of technical stuff. A I guess decent MX track.

20 miles east from there is Williams hill Pass. Better MX track and great people run it but more of a camping family oriented place 200 some odd acres. Showers etc.

1 and 1/2 hours south from there in Kentuky is Turkey bay in the land between the Lakes area. 2400 acres of anything you want but MX. Campsites and cabins(although in the horse riding section about 5 mi from the OHV site. Great place but pricy unless you have a camper.

Good Luck, Jim

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Nothing "close" to Libertyville, Byron Motosports Park is probably the closest (10 miles south of Rockford). Note: the "trails" at Byron (last I heard) are very limited now as they get very close to the nuke plant, as in ARMED guards?

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I live east of Marion about 10 mi. I takes me 1 1/2 hours to get to TB.

Turkey Bay in the land between the lakes area, is located off interstate 24 at the Grand Rivers exit. It is south of the interstate about 30 miles. When you get to the marina at GRAND RIVERS turn left to go downtown to the business district, at Patti's Resturant turn right on the state route(I forget the number). Keep bearing right until you leave town. There is a Y there that if you take the left you will have to turn right again to get back on the correct road. This road is called the TRACE.

It is about 25 miles to the USDA Visitors Center called Golden Pond. You will have to buy your Pass there. A 3 day pass is $15 I think the 3 day is the smallest you can buy. If you are planning to see other attractions you can pay $20 for a multiuse discount thing. For more info on that log on to WWW.LBL.ORG.

The actual riding area is another (I think 9 mi. south of the visitor center;) There is camping areas located at the riding area in 3 locations that I have been to. Although generator usage is limited by times and locations. There is potable water available at the OHV area, showers are located at the other locations such as the Horse Riding area about 6 mi away.

The only reservations I have about the place is, unless you have a camper or tents. It becomes costly to use the facitities the forest service provides. Example $3 to use the shower etc. This and the fact that it is so large it takes more than 3 days to ride the trails. Lots of loose rock etc. The OHV is open 7 da a week but no one is at the OHV registration area Tue thru Thur, it is by honor system on those days.

Phone numbers are: 270-924-2000 or 800-LBL-7077 for current info. Go to their web page and get rules and regs for the rest of info.

Have fun.
Jim

ps. I had a thought. Have you ever hear of Flatt River in Mo. It is closer to you in Mid to Norther IL. I have friends that have rode there. It is just across the river from Chester Il. On Rt. 62. I used to drive a truck thru there. It is an old lead mine site. Several hundred acres. I can't tell you anything because I have never rode there.

Last edited:

intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
Thnaks guys,
HUh.. Maybe we should get a bunch of us together to go down and check the place out. I normally ride in Wis but the atv's are kinda getting on my nerves. So i'm going to give it a break.. I would like to hook up with some of you guys in my area for some day or long weekend rides.. Who's in??
I'm 34 and ride a 02 yz250 anywhere that is legal.. I have a couple riding buddies now and i'm sure they would love to join us..
Also i have a van and open trailer and will travel.....
Paul

Last edited:

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I work rotating schedules 7 da on and 2 off. It's kind of hard for me to plan anything right now. I have the same setup only '96.

Thanks for the invite. I was trying to shoot for an Oct. trip down there.

Jim

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
Ok I get it, drag only, we can still be freinds :confused:

If your up to it this weekend, I'll be at FVOR(kinda small) in Ottawa on saturday, and either at Buffalo Range(tons of trails) or Sunset Ridge(mx) on sunday. Shoot me an email jaction125@hotmail.com

:aj:

intmach

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2002
All over the state. We do around 10 trips a years up there.. Langlade co., Blackriver falls, Clark co., Fond du Lac, etc... There are a bunch of riding areas in Wis... Unlike our Great state.. Il flales in comparision...
Paul

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I know this is going to age me slightly but I grew up on the northside side of Chicago (Highland Park). What happened to Maplehurst ??? We used to go there almost every weekend. It was a great track. This of course was over 30 years ago..... Gosh am I really that old !!!

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I know this is going to age me slightly but I grew up on the northside side of Chicago (Highland Park). What happened to Maplehurst ??? We used to go there almost every weekend. It was a great track. This of course was over 25 years ago..... Gosh am I really that old !!!

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
i remember maplehurst also. i rode there probably 20 years ago. i'm looking for some new places now. i'll probably head to ottawa this weekend or next.

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
I feel very old right now....... Maplehurst was a blast in it's day. What happened to it ??? I recal they did MX in the summer and tubing in the winter.

Top Bottom