Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Firecracker,

I looked everywhere for you. Did you go. I know you would have recogonized me because of my trials bike. It is funny how many people have never seen a trials bike. I was at all 3 gases and asked every blonde girl if it was you.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Unfortunately I did not make it over. :( I called the # you emailed me and left a message but did not hear back.

Steve and I left late Thursday night and we weren't 50 miles from home before the motorhome broke down. By the time we got it home--not running--it was too late to make it over and Steve had dislocated his shoulder. We never did figure out what was wrong with it and Steve couldn't race with his shoulder so painful (he twisted it pretty bad).

He and I were both very disappointed. I was looking forward to meeting everyone and helping racers out and that race is Steve's favorite race. He was very very bummed out he couldn't race. We went for a trail ride yesterday on fun, fast trails and his shoulder was ok but at race pace in more technical terrain he would have been in pain. I had a good day riding Sunday but it did not make up for the weekend's ruined plans.

And to top it all off, I got rear ended in a 6-car pileup on the freeway this morning! Murphy is following me!

I am sorry that I did not make it as I promised to. I feel really bad. :(

SL99

Jun 18, 2000
I cant beleive all that happened firecracker! I was really looking forward to meeting some of you too but firecracker was the main hook up with the cell # exchange.

How was Idaho City for those who went? Girlrider? Smoody? It was snowing on us in Sun Valley which wasnt to far away, just the other side of the mountains. It was probably perfect weather for rideing so hard in.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Let's just say that it was a rough weekend. Saturday was hot and very dusty. I had watermellon and that was the food of choice that day for the riders. Traction was bad and visibility was worse. Suzy had her front wheel bearings and hub blow out somewhere in the first section. She tried to push on but when your wheel wobbles like that it is impossible. She headed back to camp to try and find a new one for day 2. Amanda had trouble on the last section where there was a really nasty steep hill. It took her several tries to get up so she then houred out and did not finish the course. Heather Wilson who was not signed up as trying to qualify for France did awesome on day one. She only lost 4 points on the last check which means she made it though the first 3 without any routing points. (Several men could not even do this) Carol Williams who is also a great rider and has done the ISDE got a flat on the first section so she spent the rest of the day just trail riding. She was not trying to qualify.

On day 2 we woke up to snow which was a good and a bad thing. It calmed the dust down but made it wet and cold. On day 2 they made the times a little slower so that it would be easier to get to each section without dropping routing points. Suzy found a wheel but since it was not the one she started with she would be DQ for that day but she wanted to ride anyway. She rode well but had a front fork seal leak which leaked onto her front brake and made it not work very well. She finished day 2 but I am not sure how many routing points she lost? Amanda did better on day 2 but still houred out. She did finish the course this time. Heather was very sick or dehydrated so I told her to stop at check # 2. Carol Williams was smoking on day 2. She is on a new YZ250F 4-stroke that is right off the showroom floor just days earlier and she was so fast. She was having a blast and did not drop any routing points all day. I have to tell you about her sister. I don't know her name but she was born without her left arm and she raced with a protesis (Sp?). She is amazing. I don't know how she did but I do think she finished. I also don't know which class she is in.

I rode at least 35 miles eash day on my trials bike from check to check to help pit. People kept asking how I was going to ride the whole couse without a seat but little did they know I was not racing. My collar bone feels good and I should be able to race in 3 weeks.

We will keep you informed about our venture towards the ISDE.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I feel the worst for Steve. He wanted to race pretty badly and this is his favorite race, one he's done many times. He was really bummed but through the whole thing--motorhome breaking down, his injury, the dead battery we got trying to get the motorhome started, and staying up all night--he never once yelled, cussed or got angry. Most men I know would have been hollering and throwing things! He just kind of shook his head and laughed at our bad luck and kept trying. He is so sweet. :)

Enough sappiness about my sweety.

That's great everyone did as well as they did--keep going despite mechanical problems and bad weather. Good job gals and I admire your guts--from what I've heard it's not a race I'd be ready for anytime soon. I might go next year though.

Now was there a women's team that's separate from the regular team USA or how did that work? I might send in my LOI next year just for the hell of it but I don't think I could compete with the likes of Carol Williams. She's a legend around these parts.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Firecracker,

Idaho is also just an enduro that you can compete in the womens B or C class. I would recommend you trying one of those classes first. They re-route you past the hard stuff. Don't try a qualifier until you have first done a 100 mile enduro. Idaho is pretty hard but not as hard as some we have on the Colorado Circuit. The National in July in Colorado should be hard. If not then it is because too many riders complained two years ago about how hard it was. Definitely try a race like that soon. Come out to Colorado and ride.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Colorado would be cool! I'm thinking next year for Idaho because I plan to ride every possible weekend this year and if I continue to make progress as quickly as I have so far, I might be ready. Some of the riding here is extremely technical and will get me to where I need to be. After going on a trail ride with Steve, the first time we've packed up and headed out to ride just the two of us, I can see I really need to work on my endurance! I feel I did great as far as my trail skills but I made soooo many mistakes due to sheer exhaustion. 25 miles really took it out of me but Steve hadn't even broke a sweat. And he wasn't riding at my (slow) pace, either--he would wait behind and let me get up ahead then fly to catch me or ride in front at wait at intersections.

Top Bottom