Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I was working on my KDX tonight and decided to remove the chain to check rear wheel bearings because I bought some new ones and wanted to see if I needed them yet. Well as I was looking ofr the master link I couldn't find it! No clip anywhere! I have no idea how long I've been riding with no clip on my master link!!!! :scream: I remember trying to get the master link off last year and it was tough so I just put the clip back on. Hmm, I just wonder how long it's been that way and I'm lucky I didn;t wrap the chain around the countershaft and crack the case!!

So I decided tonight was the night to change the chain and sprokets even though my old ones were still worth of a few more miles. Oh well I didn't need the rear wheel bearings yet but I ruined a new lower shock bearing trying to put one on, ended up keeping the old one and pressing it back in. :| It is still the original one and I guess is still good. I just decided to replace it because of all the folks that claim to trash them quickly. I'll catch it next lube job time. Doing a majot lube job on rear and steering stem..not done yet. Yawn. G,nite.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fred,

I too believe that if I confess all my sins I will be forgiven, and, perhaps good motorcycle mojo will come my way. Of course, the Fransican nuns pounded us pretty good back in the 60's just for being boys. Some secrets are better left unspoken ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Taking the master off an o-ring chain is a bit of a pain. Why bother?

The wheel comes off easily with the chain in one piece.

Maybe you run a 50t on the back? I suppose that would make it tough..if not impossible.

If your STOCK bottom bearing is still good-to-go, that's a tribute to your maintenance schedule (I think you said was every 4-500 miles?).

Unless you have a fredette guide (said to fix the problem), the master link clip gets worn pretty thin in pretty short order. Maybe it wore off?

Good thing you found it! Hhmm.....what does that do to your karma account? Not having the chain come apart MUST have cost SOMEthing;).

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yep CC.
I've got about 1500-1600 woods miles on my bike and Ive torn it down 5 times for lube. I've still got all original bearings except lower steering stem bearing and I think I got it too tight the lube before off season teardown when I discovered it went bad. Hmmmm...stock guide wears the link down ya say. Well why do they put a o ring chain on the 220 if the guide will ruin it? I have stock 13/47 gearing and thats what going back on. Will the chain wear better now that the guide is "grooved" out by the original chain ya think?
RK X ring chain and sunstar steel sprockets.

Last edited:

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Since you guys are talking about chains and sprockets, I think I'll chime in.
My question is which chain and sprockets to get. I still have the stockers on there and the chain is TOAST. Even with a good soaking in WD or comprable, it still stays tented when I lift in the middle. Im also starting to notice wear on the left face of the teeth on the rear sprocket.

SO, with that being said, I think that it might be close to gettin some new stuff. Question is from whom? DID's are really nice, but lotz a $$$$. What kind of composition on the sprockets? Alum, steel, stainless, titat?

I ride woods and its muddy most of the time. Hare scrambles, and poker runs are my only racing. What have you used and why did ya like it?

P.S. Are the stock units crap? or just seen their time.

B.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I like the steel sprockets cause they last a long time. I wouldn't spend the extra money on alum or stainless to loose a pound or two. I'm not overweight or anything but am sure I could loose five pounds just by eating less big macs, and I would still have long lasting sprockets on my bike.

That's just my opinion though. I hate doing maintenance so I try to buy what will need the least.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
I use the rivet chain link so no 'clip type' master link. I can take the wheel off quite easily on my ’91 so it saves a lot of drama (have lost a clip before).

With Chains you get what you pay for, but if you keep the bike, I’d go for a top of the line Xring & new spkts. DID is a good brand though there are several others.

If anyone mentions chain lube I’m hitting the unsubscribe link :scream: . Use the [Search] key above & you will find heaps of threads

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
them puppies are tight! I replaced a chain & sprokets on bro's xr600 and just about needed to press the link off, man it was tight. now you got me worried I'm on my way to check mine! I put sun star's 13/50 and a I think RK sho O ring chain. links felt really tight? maybe its just the o ring's.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
For those who don't like maint. buy a Tsubaki ring chain. If you measure your chain frequently, and don't run it way past spec, then you can run any sprocket and be fine..including aluminum.

(See, David...not one word about lube! :) )

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Without completely changing the subject, what is the significant difference between an X-ring and an O-ring chain? My local shop told me that for "woods riding," the O-ring helps protect better. I assume that the x-ring chain is sealed like an o-ring, correct? The shop also said that the x-ring robs less overall horsepower than the o-ring (not a factor for me). How much of this is hype or fact? From what I have seen, their is a substantial price difference in these two types of chains (usually more than $30). I have been using the Regina Gold 520 series o-ring chains for almost 3 years without problem, and am just wondering if their is an actual reason to upgrade to the x-ring chain. I am looking for some type of factual response, not necessarily a "I could really tell a difference in horsepower" claims. Educate me please!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'm found of Tsubaki o-ring chains as well, though there are a number of good chains out there. I too run a steel rear sprocket. I ride in a lot of sand and mud, which seem to garberate the aluminum sprockets in a big hurry. Steel sprockets being half the price of aluminum and lasting twice as long is a read bonus too.

Oh by the way Tsubaki recommended using WD-40 on their o-ring chains to prevent rust and keep the o-ring supple :p

The different between an o-ring and x-ring chain? If I understand the concept behind the product the idea is that the 0-ring has makes contact at one point between the two chain links where the x-ring chain makes contact at 2 point providing a better seal. When fresh the x-ring also hold some grease between the two lips which hopefully extend their life. I’ve also read claims that the x-ring chain reduces friction.

Think of the x-ring chain like a double lip seal and an o-ring chain like a single lip seal.

I've just installed an x-ring chain on one of my bikes and I'll let you know how it holds up . . . give me a couple years though :silly:

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fred:
My comment re: clip wear is based on a 200......they don't COME with an o-ring (x neither). I don't know, or not, for a fact that the guide is different for the 220. Wouldn't be hard to verify (buykawi.com) if you have the hankering.

If your clip shows no sign of rubbing/wear, then the 220 guide is evidently different.

Anything impeding the movement of the chain is going to require horsepower to over come the impediment. A no-ring chain is easier to to move, hence more power available over a sealed chain.

If power is important and you don't mind spending the time/money, you will get more power to the ground with a standard chain than any ringed chain..and all you'll have to do is change the chain more often. Shoot, you might get a couple rides out of it!!

re: chain lube (for mr trustrum's sake) Butter flavored crisco? It's the BEST!

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I noticed my chain on a 220 is always clean around the top edge. I haven't really looked to see what's causing it yet.

X-ring vs O-ring

If ya take a cross section of an o-ring it is just round. A cross section of an x-ring is shaped like an X. instead of having one big fat O-ring smashed between the plates You have the tips of the X which causes less friction and as canadian dave pointed out it helps retain lube. Next time your in the store check out some of the streetbike mags. I saw and add for x-ring in there with pictures that totally explains it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom