which 94 kdx mods should i do.

banderson

Apr 30, 2002
so far on my first kdx i have put a procircuit pipe and silencer tossed the air box lid fresh top end new reeds and i have just put on the skid plate a few minutes ago. i am concidering putting on a rad valve kit and changing the stock rear sprocket but dont know which size i want. i want more torque but dont want to loose to much speed i have a 47 tooth rear and i am wondering if going to a 49 tooth rear and a 12 tooth front would be worth it and make that much of a diference i am new to the sport so any help on any thing else i should do to the bike would be a big help.thanks

banderson

Apr 30, 2002
i also forgot to add the bike is leaking oil out of the silencer not a whole lot but still enough to let me know i am running it to rich and i was wondering if i should change the oil i am running in my gas from 32:1 to 40:1 and would that make a difference.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
On my '89 Kdx I run a 49 tooth rear sprocket, and a 13 tooth front. I like this gearing better than stock. I can get whellies in third gear, and still have decent top end. I wouldn't adjust you premix ratio to much. As I understand it, you should get the bike jetted for one ratio and stick to it.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The brand of oil and pre mix ratio you are running can make some difference to the amount of spoog your bike is producing but rich jetting ( too much fuel) is the main culprit. I'd start by fine tuning your jetting and see if that doesn't clear up most of your problem.

Normally if people want to give their KDX a little more grunt they will either drop one tooth off the front sprocket ( stock 13 to a 12 ) or add 3 to the rear ( stock 47 to a 50). Both will give you about the same final ratio. You wont see much of a loss in speed but the gap between 3rd and 4th gear is easier to manage and you likely find you can stay in 3rd gear and lug the engine in conditions that you'd normally be switching between 2nd and 3rd. Same deal for 2nd gear vs 1st gear. Dropping one tooth on the front sprocket and adding 2 to the rear is going to be quite a big change. You'll likely want to do one or the other.

You can run a 12 tooth front sprocket and use the stock chain and rear sprocket. Installing a 50-tooth rear sprocket will require you to use a longer 110-link chain.

Hope this helps,

David

Top Bottom