true2blue92

May 24, 2007
1) your physical size: 6' 150 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you: Very Physical and like to be agressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends: Mainly in the desert, like on trials and up mountains and stuff.

4) Do you have any riding experience? I have rode an old 1984 Honda XR100 for a total of maybe 45 min to an hour but the dumb old thing always breaks.

5) Do you think you will race: Race as in with friends just messing around probably. Actual MX doubt it

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes. Very mechanically inclined, have worked on variety of engines throughout my life. If I don't know how to fix something I take it apart until I learn.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke): I'm kinda leaning towards Honda for the brand. I'm will to get something else if you convice me. Prefferably a 4-stroke, only because I've heard that they are more reliable, plus I'm really getting tired of mixing gas for all my old 2-stroke toys. But again if you convince me on a 2-stroke I am willing to go with it.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes, I have many dealers nearby. Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and I think they're might be a place that sells KTM as well.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? The cheapest possible for what I want. I would actually like around $3,000 but probably could afford 5 to 6 grand.

10) Do you live in California? No.

11) Your age? 15

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: I would like something with the most power and reliability for my money. I would prefer something with alot of top end, would like low end to but something controlable. Thats all I can think of if theres anything else just ask.

Thanks.

Jan 3, 2007
I would say a KTM 200EXC (MXC, XC, XC-W) would work well for the fact its a great woods bike and can handle the track. Its also super light and about an eight of the cost to rebuild the engine comparide to a 250F or 450F. I think this would be a great bike along with a KDX220.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Well after looking at some KTM's I think thats what Im going to go with. I've also decided that I do want a 4-stroke no matter what. So I was thinking maybe the 250-SX-F the 250 XCF-W or the 250 XC-F. So whats the difference between these three and what would be best for me?

Thanks

Also why are KTM's so cheap? Aren't they like the top racing bike?

May 10, 2007
i dunno where i live they are more expensive....

also if you do get a 250 4t then remember to do all the work on the engine that the manuel says to do when it says to. they are very high maintenance. nothing like you xr100 that is bulletproof.

as for the difference. the SX is the motocross version. the XC is the trail version though for KTM trail is unlike other brands where they have wimpy suspension etc. it is still a race bike. the XC-W is the same as the XC but with a wide ratio tranny

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
So you are really set on getting a four stroke huh? If I were riding desert mainly, like you said, and did some mountain trail riding, I'd like a trail tuned two stroke. You'll love them on the dunes and when hillclimbing.

You won't get a lot of top end power out of a four stroke 250. Maybe a 450, but two strokes shine in this area.

If you think you can still be convinced to get a two stroke, check these out:

KTM 200EXC
KTM 300EXC
Suzuki RMX250
Kawasaki KDX200
Kawasaki KDX220

The KDX's might need suspension tuning, but they can be found for great prices, so your 3 grand would cover it.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
i dunno where i live they are more expensive....

also if you do get a 250 4t then remember to do all the work on the engine that the manuel says to do when it says to. they are very high maintenance. nothing like you xr100 that is bulletproof.

as for the difference. the SX is the motocross version. the XC is the trail version though for KTM trail is unlike other brands where they have wimpy suspension etc. it is still a race bike. the XC-W is the same as the XC but with a wide ratio tranny

So what exactly do you mean it has a wide ratio tranny? The gears have more rpm's in them or w.e? I Dont rly no how to put it but is that what u mean?

May 10, 2007
a MX bike has a close ratio transmission. it means that the gears rev up fast and you shift a lot. it also tends to mean that 1st is a bit high for trail riding and in some cases 5th is too low. wide ratio means that there is more space inbetween shifting.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
a MX bike has a close ratio transmission. it means that the gears rev up fast and you shift a lot. it also tends to mean that 1st is a bit high for trail riding and in some cases 5th is too low. wide ratio means that there is more space inbetween shifting.

Ok thats what I though. Well then that being the case I'd deffinitly want to go with the XC-W. Thanks. So is KTM a good choice to go with overall?

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
XMotoX said:
So you are really set on getting a four stroke huh? If I were riding desert mainly, like you said, and did some mountain trail riding, I'd like a trail tuned two stroke. You'll love them on the dunes and when hillclimbing.

You won't get a lot of top end power out of a four stroke 250. Maybe a 450, but two strokes shine in this area.

If you think you can still be convinced to get a two stroke, check these out:

KTM 200EXC
KTM 300EXC
Suzuki RMX250
Kawasaki KDX200
Kawasaki KDX220

The KDX's might need suspension tuning, but they can be found for great prices, so your 3 grand would cover it.

Well Idk they just seem simpler to work on and stuff. What exactly are the difference betwen a 4-stroke and a 2?

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I say a CRF250X or an XR650. XR650's are good in deserts and sort of fast, but I heard the 250 and 450x's sometimes have bog problems. I say the 650

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
true2blue92 said:
Well Idk they just seem simpler to work on and stuff. What exactly are the difference betwen a 4-stroke and a 2?
You're right, two strokes are simpler and they are easier to work on than the newer performance 4-strokes out there. They have less moving parts so there is a smaller chance that something will go wrong inside. But, two strokes wear out parts quicker because they fire every revolution. And when you rebuild a two stroke top end, it isn't that expensive compared to when you need to rebuild a four stroke.

Power-wise, two strokes are quicker in acceleration. They are zippier because they make their power much quicker than four stroke. They normally don't have as much low end as a four stroke would, but some like KDX's have lots of torque. You just need to ride one and see what you like better I guess.

Jan 3, 2007
The KTM 250XCF-W is a great bike for you. To be fast on one at your size (no offense, i am the same way) you will need to be aggresive witch should suit you. The W model also has softer suspension settings and a lighting coil for a light.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Well I've talked to a friend who is also getting a new bike soon and he just recently talked to a guy we know who is a pro motocross guy and he recommended for him to get the KDX 200. Now my friend is about half a foot shorter than me tho. But he was telling him that you could beat most 250's with that bike. IDK!!! This is such a hard decision. I am pretty sure after what I've read and after what he told me I'm going to get a 2-stroke now. Now I just have to decide which one.

One more quick question, should I buy a bike new or used. I usually prefer new but I've never bought a dirt bike before and if it means saving a bunch of money to get used and its just as good then thats fine. Also what should be the average price I should be paying on a new 2-stroke 200 or 250 and a used (1-3 years old) 2 stroke 200 or 250? Thnx.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2007
true2blue92, in the woods a KDX would beat a 250MXer but in a strightline race there would be no chance of a KDX winning. If i was you i would go with what i recomended witch is the KTM 200XC because of its harder suspension and good tight woods gearing. Get the newest one you can. The best years are 2005 and up.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
true2blue92, in the woods a KDX would beat a 250MXer but in a strightline race there would be no chance of a KDX winning. If i was you i would go with what i recomended witch is the KTM 200XC because of its harder suspension and good tight woods gearing. Get the newest one you can. The best years are 2005 and up.

Ok that sounds good. Why wouldn't I go with the 250 XC or the 250 XC-W. I just don't want something that later Im going to wish had more power.

Jan 3, 2007
I just thought that the 200 might be better for your situation and you sounder like you wanted a KDX200 so why not a KTM 200. The KTM 200 has as much power stock as a fully pimped out KDX220 or 200 have. Now imagine doing some minor tunning and you would have one of the lightest woods machines out there.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I just thought that the 200 might be better for your situation and you sounder like you wanted a KDX200 so why not a KTM 200. The KTM 200 has as much power stock as a fully pimped out KDX220 or 200 have. Now imagine doing some minor tunning and you would have one of the lightest woods machines out there.

Yeah that does sound good. Well I guess I'll just go down to my dealer and see which I can get a better deal on, either the 200 or the 250. I wouldn't mind either. Thanks for all the help.

Do these come with spark arresters? or whatever the thing is you need to ride on most trails with a 2 stroke?

munroe

Oct 29, 2007
Hello who ever can help me with this question,,,i am 5'5 110 pds and dont have much expeirence with bikes,,,i am looking at a bike at a crazy good price on a bike, its a RM125 i am wondering if i should buy it ,or does it have to much power for a little guy like me.or is too big.

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Ok so now I'm not sure again. I was just talking to a friend who used to race and is really knowledgeable in dirtbikes, and he was telling me if I want to ride in the mountains and stuff going up hills and everything I would be better off if I got a 4-Stroke. He said the on a two stroke you would continually have to down shift and gas it to be able to make it up and if you didn't do it right you'd stall. Which is totally understandable since I drive a stick shift. Then he said if I got a 4-stroke I cud just put it in first or second depending on the hill and just go.

So now I'm having trouble deciding if I should just go with a 4-stroke to eliminate that problem, or just stay with the 2-stroke and learn how to shift. Which I already have a basic understanding of clutch control and which gears and everything. I wouldn't mind a 4-stroke but after getting so syked about the 2 im not sure if I want to give up the torque...Please help. This is so difficult. Its alot of money and I wanna be totally satisfied with what I get....

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
true2blue, do you have any friends that ride? If so, ask them to take you out riding with them someday and ride their bikes. See if anyone around you rides four strokes as well as two strokes and become friends. Then you can test and get the feel for different types of bikes.

Anyway, it is true that four strokes have the grunt to pull uphill steadily in first, second, and third gear. But there are many two strokes that have that same low end torque, and won't give you any trouble with stalling. KDX's are great for lugging and the 220's are known for massive low end torque for a two stroke machine. KTM makes 200 and 300's that are great two strokes for grunting up hills and through trails. Plus, with a two stroke, you have that snappy power that never gets old. :nod:

Top Bottom