WorksTTR125L

Jan 30, 2003
I'm around 5'5 maybe and maybe 117lbs. I'm experienced and I want a 2 stroke. Which bike would fit me the best? Some people told me to get the YZ, but I don't know. I already looked into the 125s and they are way to big!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We were just at the bike show this weekend and my son who is 5'4" was trying all the 125's on for size. He could balance on his toes on the KX but had to stick to a 1 footed stance on most of the others. You should be very close to being able to ride a 125 at 5'5". If your experienced enough to handle a 125 I would still steer you that way and make some slight modifications to lower the bike if absolutely necessary.

Spider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2000
I was just 5'3 and 95lb when I started to race my CR125 last spring. In the beginning it was hard to balance and start it but after a while I figered it out and really liked racing it. The power and clearance make it easier to ride on the track then my old YZ85.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Yeah man. I'm 130 LB and 5'6", and have owned 2 125s at this point. If you a experienced get an older 125 and with the money you save get it professionally lowered. The suspension on an olderbike can prolly use an overhaul anyway; at your weight the bike would need at least softer springs and possibly a revalve.

The subframe can be cut and lowered as well. 

My suspension is getting done as we speak. I just cut my seat down last night.  I was ok with the hieght but in the woods where I have to dab alot the lowering will really shine. 

Last edited:

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ea just cut the seat. you can probably take like 1-2 inches off that way. I mean how much do you actually sit down on the bike? not enought or when you'd need too much cushioning. Id say a 125.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
the kid, how do you fit a 125 at 5'3" and 95Ibs. i'm 5'3" and 120Ibs, and i have trouble starting my kx in the cold when it takes a while to fire up. I can ride my dads kdx but can't start it with out the kickstand down.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Racer thekid is my son and since he is gone I'll answer for him- We had the suspension resprung with the lightest we could get so he got some sag from that. He also has long legs for his heighth. In the first month or so he had to find a high spot in order to kick it over but after awhile he was able to balance, kick it, and go. On the start gate he was tip toed (I didn't let him use a block) but he didn't seem to be bothered by that. Since he first jumped on it he has now grown to 5'6 and about 115# so this should be a better season for him. He did have trouble in longer WFO straights (lucky not many of our tracks around here have them) with headshake but now hopefully with the added weight and strength that will be better.
If you look in my gallery http://www.dirtrider.net/teamdrn/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16965&thumb=1 there are some photos of him on it right after he got it

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ok. just wondering. I was thinking of getting a125, then shaving teh seat and messign with the suspension for more sag, but decided that the 100 would be better for me. I have a short inseam, so i can barely touch on a 125 with 1 foot.

WorksTTR125L

Jan 30, 2003
I'm not really looking for a 125. They are to big for me! I don't want to have to start my bike on a hill and stuff like that. I want a good bike that fits me well. So, out of those bikes I posted, Which One?

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
the kx and cr are like a half an inch higher than the yz. but then again teh kx does have the extra 15cc's, and i deeply love mine. and it also has a powervalve. I'd say if you ride woods go with the kx, and if you ride mx the yz, because it's still eligable for the 80/85 class and the expert and kx100 have to race in the supermini class. They might allow them in the 85 but not many do. So kx for woods because of the powervalve and yz for mx.

WorksTTR125L

Jan 30, 2003
How reliable is the KX racer? Can you ride all day without something breaking or not? I know I'll have to rebuild it and all but I was just wondering how good it runs. Also, how big are you racer?

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
so far the only problems i had with it are fouled plugs. but now the jetting is good so no more of that. nothing really big brack yet. It's been very reliable so far.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
You didn't say how old you are or what type of riding your mainly going to do. If you 13yrs old or older and just wanting something to use for all around riding, then go with a 125.

As oldguy pointed out, you can lower the 125 to fit you. Plus you'll get more use out of it vs. a big wheel 85/100.

If you really want to stay with a big wheel, they're all pretty good. Realibility will depend on your maintaining the bike. The RM85L is the tallest of the four and offers the boardest power band, but is a little weak on top end compared to the YZ & CR.

WorksTTR125L

Jan 30, 2003
I'm 13 and pretty much all I will do is motocross. But, I also ride in the woods a little bit. I just don't really want to cut the foam out of my brand new bike, and do something just to make it shorter. Its not even about how tall it is. I'm scared what may happen when I wreck on it, cause I wreck alot! I crash so much that my little TTR even skinned me up pretty good. Plus, my parents would never let me get on a 125. I want a bike that I feel comfortable on and can use for a while. My dealer told me I was a good size for an 85 but I want something that I can grow into a little. I work for my dad on the farm so I have most of the money saved up, and the dealer told me that if I grow out of the 100 that I could trade it in on a 125 and pay the rest off. Also, I'm sure there are mods you can do the KX100. Heck you could get bigger pegs, taller seat, bar risers, then bore it out and you almost have yourself a KX125! Thats what I figure.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I would go with a KX 100! You'll fit perfect on it. The 2 inch bigger tires and a little more motor will be perfect for your size if you don't want to try a 125 yet. The KX 100 will be an awesome to start off with because it has smooth power from bottom to top and is pretty easy to ride. I'm 5'5" 130 lbs. and have been on 125's for a few years but first rode 80's (At the same size). You will feel too big/cramped on an 80 at your height. I had a '99 KX 80 and it was the best bike maintenance wise that I have ever owned. Just put a hotter spark plug in it and replaced a clutch lever once. But I bet after a few months on a KX 100 (and maybe an inch or two taller) you'll be ready for a 125.

WorksTTR125L

Jan 30, 2003
I went to my local dealer again today. He told me that I'm the perfect size for the YZ85! I was trying to talk to him about the 100 and he kept tellin me that the YZ was better for me. I asked him several times, am whats the best size bike for me, and he kept sayin the YZ85. He also mentioned the RM85L but said he thought I looked better on the YZ. Keep in mind that I'm racing and he told me that the YZ would be the best bike for me to race. He even got his friend to give me advice and he told me that YZ again. But even though they said all that I think I might get the RM85L, I was really impressed with that bike!

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Have you ever ridden any of these bikes? I would check them out a little before you commit to buying something.
P.S. I ride a kx 100 and love it.(I'm 5'2")

yz85lw

Feb 4, 2003
I've got a YZ85LW & both my wife & I love it. She is 5'8, 125#'s & normally rides a quad. I tried to get her to ride my 97 YZ125 but she was not comfortable with the seat height & weight of the bike. On the YZ85 she is far more comfortable & has a lot of fun. Enough that she is willing to ride a bike instead of a quad all the time. The power & suspension of the YZ85 are strong points to consider as the suspension is the best of the little bikes & power is strong enough for me to clear a 20 foot double at 180#'s. If you are planning on racing the YZ or RM gives you more options than the KX100. You can start in the 85 class & work you way up with bores & stroking to supermini's at 112cc. The power to weight ratio of the 85 compares to a 125 then. As it is a lighter bike is easier to control you can definetely grow with it.
Hope this helps.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
you are too tall for the yz despite what the dealer says. get the kx or cr.

WorksTTR125L

Jan 30, 2003
I've only ridden mini 4 strokes and some quads. This will be my first actual race bike. I plan on racing in the 85 D class. But I'm willing to give that up for a while if I should get the KX100. My friends and my dealer has made it clear to me that a YZ85 would be best but they all said that all three bikes fit me well. I tried getting on a RM100 and I had to tippie toe. I could hold it up okay but my mom certainly didn't like the fact that I couldn't hold it up quite right. I'm sure if I fiddled with the suspension I could handle the 100 or bigwheel. I'm really around 5 4, but there isn't much of a difference between 5 4 and 5 5. So, I don't know, how much more power would a 100 have?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by WorksTTR125L
I'm sure if I fiddled with the suspension I could handle the 100 or bigwheel. I'm really around 5 4, but there isn't much of a difference between 5 4 and 5 5.

my eleven year old daughter is 5'2" and rides a big wheel kx.

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
You should really look into the KX100, the CR 85 Big wheel, or the RM 85L (big wheel). I have a KX100 and ride mostly woods, and the KX is great because unlike the others, it doesn't have much of a "hit" (which is very helpful if you ride woods). Don't get me wrong, it's still a two-stroke and accelerates and pulls like one, but it has a flatter powerband than the other pipey 85's. My advice if you ride motocross and trails would be to look at which of the big wheels has the best compromise between "smooth" power and "pipey" power. Also if your're just starting out on two-strokes, go with the more tame one as it will be easier to ride. Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom