which bike to buy?

2_stroker

Apr 28, 2006
hey everybody, i am 6'1 200 lbs, i raced last year and it got too expensive so i gave it up. i ride around my farms and i have a small track set up, and will still be an agressive rider. i currently have a cr125 and want to get away from it. there are two bikes that are in my price range, a 05 crf450 for 3699 and an 03 cr 250 for 2999. i have no idea what so ever which one would suit me, it would be nice to have more luggin power down low. i dont know if i would consider a crf250, i hear they are like a 125, and you have to give an arm and a leg to buy one because there arent any for sale around here. any opinions on either of the three would be nice, i will make a purchase when its warm out.
thanks a million
Devon

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
The power and controllability of the crf450 would be great, but the price of upkeep on the crf's seem to be pretty high. They put out great power, but seem to give up quite a bit of reliability in the process. The crf250's are HIGHLY volatile, so I would NOT suggest one of those. Mostly because you have to keep them revved to make the power you want, and 4 strokes don't like being revved. They like being shifted up another gear... The smoker will put almost similar amounts of horsepower as the crf450, but it won't have the same amount of torque and controllability of the CRF... The plus of the cr250 smoker is that it is very easy to upkeep and inexpensive to repair.

If you are already an experienced agressive rider, then you should have no problems controlling a 2 stroke and keeping it in it's power range, but the 4 strokes have the same power all through the rpm's which make them great for mx applications and for the more relaxed riding style riders in trails. You will have to figure out which is best fit for your riding style and wallet.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…