BIF

Aug 14, 2002
I'm getting into offroading after 12 year lapse. Last thing owned was Suzuki 230 Quadsport. Recently purchased Yamaha 660R Raptor, which I'm really loving, however I went riding with my brother and his XR400 and now have decided I would love something on 2 wheels also. I'm new to this site and forum, so forgive me if I'm asking incorrectly or in wrong place, but knowing the following info, which bike would you get? (only one)

1. 31 yrs. old, 6'1", 240lbs.
2. Very little dirtbike exp., although have streetbike and quad.
3. Prefer something fairly low maint., have exp. working on 4 stroke motors.
4. Where I'd ride- Mostly trails (woods and desert) although I'd love to mess around on local MX track. I'd also love to ride in some enduro or cross country type races.
5. Riding style- I like jumping (at least on quad) and I like opening up throttle on straightways.
6. I live in CA so green sticker is a consideration, but would not choose a bike soley on that.

P.S. I've assumed I should be looking for "enduro" type bike and have gravitated towards WR450F, DRZ400E/KLX400R, XR4OO or KTM450EXC, but not locked into these. Thanks for your help.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Well if you can spend that much I'd go with the WR450 or the KTM450, although they wouldn't be very beginner oriented. A drz is more begginner oriented and you could either upgrade the bike as you get better or sell it and buy the WR/KTM. :thumb:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
however I went riding with my brother and his XR400 and now have decided I would love something on 2 wheels also......

Exactly how much time will you spend riding with your brother? As with most fun things in life, dirtbikin is WAY more fun when shared with someone else!! If you and your brother have the kind of relationship that would foster alot of time riding together I would really consider the XR400 like his!!
It seems like everytime I am riding with a group the guy with the slower bike has the least amount of fun. I have always said that the best case senario would be for the group that I ride with to have matching bikes - makes sense dont it??

If I am on the wrong track here consider this option. I just purchased a brand new 2002 WR250F Yamaha from Canada and sold it to a guy in CA. He went this route partly because the Canadian bikes do not have the 3 or C in the 8th digit (green sticker friendly). I can ship one to you for $4850.. Very nice bikes, especially if you wanna wave BYE BYE to that XR400..
2 pennies
Woodsy

Yamaha0506

Apr 11, 2002
A YZ250F would be a great bike for messing around on the trails and track with. Since you have experince with four stroke motors maintence won't be a problem for you. The 250F flys so hare scrambler events will be a big possibility if you want.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
A big guy like yourself would probably do great on the DRZ400E/KLX400 - these bikes have many mods available, and should keep you happy for years. Also look at what you can dual sport, this gives you even more options. If you have the money, The new WR450 estart may be the ticket, or KTM450exc, both great bikes, and ready to race too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom