KDXrider045

May 23, 2003
Hello all
Looking to get a trials bike to give me more ride opportunities.
I've located an 01 Sherco 2.5, 01 & 02 Scorpa's, and a Gasser TXT280 Pro. All in good condition. All for around the same dollars plus or minus a few hundred. Don't know enough about any of them to make a decision. Some are from private parties, others from dealers. I'm stuck in Analysis Paralysis :ohmy: Heard the GG pro's have some clutch Trans issues. I've heard Scorpa's are reliable with the yamaha eng. And they really look industrial too. Any help would be welcome!

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I am partial to GG's and yes the GG's trannys will never shift as good as a Japanese but really that can be said about all the trials manufacturers (GG might be the worst shifter of the ones you list IMO) I would personaly go with the scorpa or the sherco because they will be a bit slower and eaiser to ride than the GG since it is a "real" competion bike (like the Sherco 2.9 insanly quick!) I imagine that you (like me) will ride it for cross training and just for the hell of it, because no one else has one on your block :)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Any of the bikes you have mentioned will do the job, its more about which bike appeals to you the most, and about the level of local dealer support. You can also check the forums at Trials Central to see other people's opinions about each bike. They all have their quirks and 'features', and you really need to try each one out to see which suits you best. Don't forget to adjust the controls before testing a bike to make things as comfortable for you as possible - a weird setup may colour your feelings towards the bike.

I would also try and figure out who has ridden each bike and how hard it has been ridden. Usually an expert rider will use more of the bikes potential, but at the same time give it a real hammering on much larger obstacles - so try and check how well the bike has been maintained and looked after. My current bike was ridden by a lower level rider who was extremely careful with it, and also was injured for most of the time that he had the bike, so it didn't get a lot of use or abuse (I ended up paying more for this particular bike than other similar bikes, but overall I am sure that it was worth it in this particular case).

Trials riders are extremely vocal and brand loyal so be warned about 'brand evangelists' - saying this an '02 or '03 Beta Rev3 would suit your needs perfectly :p

I'm quite excited as my brother has just got his '04 Beta, and I'm going to go and give him some 'guidance' on how to run it in. The main reason for making sure that he does it properly is that I hope to buy it off him when he gets his new bike next year. This also means that I'll have to help him as much as possible to improve his riding and limit the amount of scratches on 'my' new bike!!! He is an engineer and has bought the bike through his company so that he can develop some aftermarket parts for it - mainly to protect the muffler and water pump from crash damage. Because he is genetically related to me there is some urgency in getting these damage limiting parts on the bike as quickly as possible :joke:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Out of those choices if all bike were very similar condition I'd jump on the '02 Scorpa in a heartbeat. Very nice bikes with a little different look, the French design influence I suppose.

KDXrider045

May 23, 2003
Hey thanks everyone, and Junkman, you are correct...play riding/cross training and of course, cause nobody else has one on my street! Patman, I take it you have a Scorpa? They have a real industrial look to them. I'm told they are extremely reliable.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I agree with Patman - the '02 Scorpa would probably be the best from the bikes you have mentioned. I have ridden the 'racing' model for a very short time, and it seemed really nice and smooth, and fairly light (compared to a Beta!!). There are some options for the Scorpa for flywheel weights to change the power delivery, and also a larger fuel tank/small seat combo. They do have their little faults and features, the same as any bike, one of their main strong points is the Yamaha motor and Japanese electrics. I would think it best to add some protection for the water pump though.

I'm not trying to put down the GasGas, but would suggest that the 280 is fairly potent and that the Scorpa would probably be easier to ride while you are getting used to riding a trials bike.

CenTexTrials

Dec 30, 2003
Yet another vote for the Scorpa.. although if the Sherco was a little cheaper I would say that would be the way to go.. The Scorpa is a smooth 2-wheeled tractor... the Sherco is a bit more nimble yet still very smooth..

I believe the Pro to be more of a advanced rider competition bike.. Not that it can't be ridden by others and not that the others are not fine comp bikes, but the Gas Gas Pro is made "out of the box" to hop and "leave the ground" easily. This characteristic can be a handful for a "new to trials" rider..

Bottom line: All three bikes would be LOADS OF FUN!

Wesley

KDXrider045

May 23, 2003
Thanks again guys

The Sherco is in really nice shape. Has new plastic and top end just rebuilt. Looks pretty much new and has been well maintained. I have a choice on either 01/02/03 Scorpas. Well maintained mechanically and a 3 month warranty. Cosmetically, the Scorpa's aren't as pretty as the Sherco. They look a little rougher around the edges. I've been talking to Mike about them at the Trials Shop and he seems to be a very nice guy. Decisions, Decisions. Wow, if I had only taking this amount of time to pick out a wife, I may not be divorced right now :laugh:

Top Bottom