Which of the big 4 to get?

drewstair

Oct 25, 2003
I just started riding really recently but I want to buy a bike within the next 4 months or so. I am currently riding my friend's kx 125 (89). Once I outgrow that I want to move up to a 250 2-stroke but I am not sure what to get. I don't really think I will be racing or doing any major jumps, I really just want to trail ride and go fast in open areas. Which of the big 4 should I look into? I think I want to stay away from Honda though because of the price. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks

Feb 28, 2004
Maybe Im wrong, but I think all the 250s have the same MSRP price, which is $5,899 or $5,999, assuming you will buy a new bike. I bought my 03 YZ250 brand new, but it was a leftover, and they dropped the price from $5,899 to $4,999. :yeehaw: Couldnt pass that up, especially considering how much I dislike how the gold forks look on the 04 YZ's. I know they are better forks, but I just think they look out of place on a blue bike. :think: Mike

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
IMHO they are all good/great. There is no such thing as a bad bike these days. Go for the best price, parts availability (go with a shop that is close by) and service. You cant go wrong.
just my 2 cents.

drewstair

Oct 25, 2003
Ooops, forgot to mention I am not looking for a new bike. I want to find something in the mid 90's and keep the cost under $2000.

Twiztid One

~SPONSOR~
Aug 19, 2003
you would be happier if you got a KDX i think , they are awesome trail bikes and mine will pull almost as hard as a racer . back in the woods i walk all over my buddies cr and rm but they whop up on me the staits . you can get a used KDX fairly cheap with alot of mods allready done to it . just something for ya to think about , ck out Canidian Daves site on here if you interested . peace

drewstair

Oct 25, 2003
That is one option I was considering, but as I understand it a mx bike can do both mx and trails well, while a kdx just does one really well. I want to be able to tear it up in the straights. It is all desert here so I won't be running between trees through really tight trails.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
You can find mid 90's CR's for next to nothing for a motorcycle that will still give any new bike fits. There is a 95 (?) for sale on this site for $1500. Any CR from 93 on will run w/ any of the new MXer's, in fact many CR owners often crave the 93-01 engines over the techno-sleepy 02's and 03's. The suspension is the one area that the new bikes are sooo much nicer, but for playing the older ones are fine

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…